Tank Trigger Shifter

Hello, I don't know if this is going to work. But it's supposed to be a picture of my trigger tank shifter. I figure some folk20191204_132719.jpg20191204_132728.jpg

may find it interesting. Thanks for your time.
5OaAAtJQheklNOEzRs4DH7DKYOjFd-uxuNawcP0ptkSu3a6crDsFkhKRjys3CuQnXhW6Q-djGJY6j3yk8MTsqgDe81gi8y3PgVlznoovf8fFg4nORrtP2bIatan8_uXeCGM8Waqcu1-Q8HndoQXVtRJ9cpgsXcYd3yG42NESFXzh-z9tbtcrXk9xpj0dHY2uQUsWO8L6q6bw1RaB-JM8mNMCOzlS3hOHdh5oaVh0L2ZEQn0zvXU0U_sTL7rcnJ6Kffh-3sF1PxBBmay-lUcjOL_L72pjHauqr1pVU5AjW5dzSY_fLMLYBP0cZfK6_MZsPzOHY28o4nGoWILugT8L4RmFtBGHh92MkIZjIlHj6i2IaAqVkQ4hp0xD83Jj_uNdNdl8r_XfwVC8myw_vbAK2uEPyXLRbj1l8sCeolTYTrBut1MAWUEt_2_JinoYDfJjP-TaZlthk55wEyJ8BAhlzD34JzFxmxISyPZeo8wXP54jTaiJ-zyIhMjTZkqSokdPdwYlGjge4_W6ij61m1TGIkIPsktHO2dqNBEtSpur8pFtMSUfXm7bxz9chCPjdkzTXZ9x2u4OrAhSKYDzYIDaB-yny_rznAorBoICqeQ5MdEPXjNdOWlse9GhUTlw8YeT-LW9X5ok2FvrAZ2fZ8nSSP8NzrmNg1vNc08eTaaJIve9OPoX3voKkCM=w1042-h587-no

Last edited:
Hello, Well adding the pictures didn't come out quite like I hoped. I'm not real sure how I got them on the post, so I'm going to leave it like it is. I was originally told that the shift had to be in a straight line with the tranny, then I saw this on a friends trike. I like it a bunch. Thanks for your time.

That is a bit different from the location down on the left side by the left leg. Some move them a bit forward and on the side and others get them in the middle between the rider's legs, but I do have to admitt that fits for a much quicker shifting of gears.

As far as I can see with mine, the shifting box is welded off to the left side a bit. Maybe 3 feet from the end of tansmission. Now if I followed it upward to the neck area, well that same angle actually pulls the shifter away from center and I see the room for the shifter box up near the tank like that. At least on my frame it would work, but my fiberglass body is not designed for such a set up. I can see it being down with no issues shifting, and I can see where one can mess it up if to much angle is added. Hope you the best on the work, oh and it does look like a piece of reebar was used for the rod from my shifting box to the rear of the transmission. If is not, well it sure looks like it, LOL.

What I can see of it....it does look right.

The shifter box has to stay inline with the shaft. Dead straight inline.

The shaft works best with no offset bends.

The vw coupling at the gearbox does not have much give to it.

If you use a u joint and swing the whole shaft, shift box, shifter as a unit......it will easily work. The H pattern might not be dead straight ahead.

If you wanted the shifter to be straight you could use a self supporting shifter like a buggy super shifter and a u joint at each end.

Hello, The fella that built this added a coupler about where my shifter was under the seat and added a rod with the elbow on the end. Both of his VW trikes have the same set up, that's where I saw them. It shifts about a 20 degree angel off of center due to the angel of the rod. I did not have a problem with the shifter under the seat. But, I like this set up a lot, not to mention, I think it looks pretty cool. I'm going to flex seal the chrome on the shaft so that it matches the trike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png