The Official 2020 Oil & Filter Thread... (Open to All Makes)

MDO

Oct 11, 2017
St. Louis, MO USA
The Official 2020 Oil & Filter Thread... (Open to All Makes)

In honor of my friend Jack, who loves a good oil thread,

I am starting the official 2020 oil/filter thread.

What do you use where and why. I am currently using Redline 20W/50 full synthetic in the engine, but have also used Lucus full synthetic 20W/50 with excellent results as tested by Blackstone Labs.

I use Redline Shockproof in the tranny(10,000 change interval)) & HD Formula + in the primary and I change it at 5,000 miles. I have 1 more quart & will then switch to Redline primary fluid.

I have also ran Lucas in all 3 holes and it worked well, but in the tranny, I have found nothing better than Redline Shockproof & quit searching.

For filters I have used the HD 5 micron, Mobil 1 extended service & K&N and all work excellent. Blackstone Labs confirmed great filtration for the Mobil 1 & they don't know what brand filter your using.

Fellow forum members, what works for you?

Your a brave man "Gunga Din"

I use the entire Redline line ... LOL.

20w50 in the Engine .... smoooooooth

Shockproof in the tranny .... really smoooooooth

Primary Lube in the Primary .... great clutch feel

I change the oil in the engine at 4k, the primary at 8k, ant the training at 12k. Or ... if by chance I don't do at least 12K in a calendar year, I do all three in the spring. Potential condensation is the reason for the spring time swap. Shorter rides of less frequency in the winter could lead to condensation causing water in the lubes.

As for filters, I just use the HD black one. Always worked well for me. And, I also use a new o-ring on every drian plug every time. I hate that "crusty looking" sealer the Harley techs have migrated to. Pain in the b$tt to clean up and I'm sure with continued use some of that will get in the sumps. I have never had a leak with just a new o-ring and the proper torque (just wish they wouldn't scotch tape them to the oil filter. Sometimes I forget to tell them not to).

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO
Love these oil threads......I use just the natural dino Rotella 15/40, with the best oil filter Walmart has to offer, change at 6K miles. Think I will make it to 100K miles, just being patient.

• Thanks
Love these oil threads......I use just the natural dino Rotella 15/40, with the best oil filter Walmart has to offer, change at 6K miles. Think I will make it to 100K miles, just being patient.

Shell Rotella 15w/40 dino oil, OEM filter, change maximum 5K miles.

Odometer reading after 10.5 years: 112K miles

• Thanks
2017 Tri-glide with 44500 miles on at this point

Ran SYN 3 in all holes until about 35000 miles

Engine - HD SYN3

Transmission - Redline Shockproof, actually changed so I can see it easier on the dipstick but do like the performance better than the SYN3.

Primary - HD Heavy Synthetic Gear oil, this wasn't available until I had 35000 on then tried it and like it so far.

Change all every 5000 or sooner if taking a trip that will put me over 5000 before returning.

Oil Filter - OUTLAW High Performance Cleanable Oil Filter purchased from DK Custom

Bob

• Thanks
Thanks for the new oil thread:p

20-50 Quicksilver synthetic in the oil tank

Redline in the tranny

Formula+ in the primary

HD black filter

I cruise over to the auto parts stores just before sunup. People drop off jugs of used oil for recycling. I get it first and it's free. Plenty of life left in that used oil. Use the same used oil in my tranny mixed with sawdust. Quietes that pesky whining noise right down. In the primary I use extra virgin olive oil. We all like extra virgins dont we? I know I do_Oil filter- ya supposed to change that? Nah those are lifetime filters.

2015 Twin Cam Freewheeler. I use Lucas synthetic 20w-50 in the engine with their stabilizer. Primary gets Shell Rotella T4 15w-40. Currently running Red Line, shockproof in the tranny. I like the visibility of the red oil on the stick but I probably will go back to Bel-Ray Big Twin transmission oil. To me, less clunk from neutral to first gear. I always use a black HD filter.

• Thanks
2020 Tri, currently running hd primary lube, hd syn motor oil and Amsoil 80/140 trans. 1k service was free, as soon as I get close to 5000, Liqui Moly 10w-60 into the engine. That is some of the best oil I’ve used since 2014. Hd primary lube seems fine and at 10k Amsoil 80/140 or equivalent in the trans.

• Thanks
Im due for an oil change, and am glad this came up, b/c I have a few questions.

1. Is it *really* okay to use the same thing in all three? I saw some Mobil1 Synthetic that said it was good for all three, but I'm a bit leery. Since you're all fans of Redline, and I've heard others say it's a good product, I'll definitely be looking at that.

2. Is it worth the investment to get an oil relo kit? I HAD to get one on my 2w Star 1100, because the to change the oil stock, I had to remove the exhaust. I'm good with the current location of my filter, so it might be more of a "well since I can I will", but maybe it's not as simple as that?

3. It's been a while since I changed it, but I ride it daily (12 to 15 miles to work and back). Is there a recommended interval for daily drivers or is it just ymmv? I'm going on 5K right now so yeah, I'm definitely doing it in the next few weeks.

1. Is it *really* okay to use the same thing in all three? I saw some Mobil1 Synthetic that said it was good for all three, but I'm a bit leery. Since you're all fans of Redline, and I've heard others say it's a good product, I'll definitely be looking at that.

2. Is it worth the investment to get an oil relo kit? I HAD to get one on my 2w Star 1100, because the to change the oil stock, I had to remove the exhaust. I'm good with the current location of my filter, so it might be more of a "well since I can I will", but maybe it's not as simple as that?

3. It's been a while since I changed it, but I ride it daily (12 to 15 miles to work and back). Is there a recommended interval for daily drivers or is it just ymmv? I'm going on 5K right now so yeah, I'm definitely doing it in the next few weeks.

Thanks for posting.

I ran HD Syn 3 in all 3 holes, then Lucas Full synthetic motorcycle oil in all 3 and it was better. I now insist on Redline Shockproof in the tranny cause, for me, it just works best.

As far as the filter relocation, it would make it easier/cleaner. I just keep spending the money on other items.

As far as intervals, a lot of us go 5,000 on the engine & 10,000 miles on the other holes, but you have to find your comfort zone. I have been doing the primary every 5,000 with HD Formula + just cause I had a few to use, then I'm going to Redline and 10,000 intervals

Tom, short runs on engine oil can be a bad thing. The oil needs to get up to temperature to burn off water vapors. That said, you may want to change sooner.

Redline in the tranny IMO is a big plus. It clings to gears and bearings better than any engine oil . If using HD formula + in your primary you can easily run 10K miles between changes, and with Redline or the new HD gear lube you can run 10K miles before changes

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png