new CSC viper owner questions

Oct 31, 2015
CALDWELL
Wondering if anyone with prior experience can give me some idea of average miles before replacement of the following parts, assuming I follow the recommended service and maintenance schedule in the owner manual, of course ?

1. half shaft CV boots, if kept properly sprayed and lubed every 4 to 5K ? How many miles are they usually good for on paved roads only driving?

2. rear brake pads, I put over 75 % of my miles on long trips with very few miles in stop and go, urban settings..?

3. Seems likes changing brake fluid every 12 K would depend more on its color, clarity, and smell at every 4 K inspection? I've had Goldwings with

brake fluid that lasted 36 k before being replaced..? any experience or thoughts here?

4. How difficult is it to reach and re torque the fork head bolts on a 2010 GL1800 audio comfort ? Lots of tupperware to dig through?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give....my 4 th Goldwing, but first one triked....age and gravity....it gets us sooner or later....

Hi Shaker,

If your CSC kit is not older than 5 years or so, your CV boots should be good for around 100k miles.

We upgraded our boot material around that time.

Brake pad life is extremely dependent on your style of riding and where you ride. If you live in Kansas, don't tow a trailer and mostly ride one up, you might get 40-50k miles out of a set of pads. If you live in the Blue Ridge mountains like we do, ride two up and tow a trailer you might get 10-20k miles.

We usually recommend changing the brake fluid at the intervals that Honda recommends for the bike. Remember, time is as much a factor with brake fluid cleanliness as miles are.

I assume you are talking about torquing the steering stem nut. If so, most shops are going to take about 3hrs to do this job. FYI it requires a special socket that you can either purchase from CSC or Honda (ours is less expensive:)).

Thanks Trikemaster for the heads up general info.....I have a 2019 CSC Viper conversion w/ 6 degree Powertrak install late fall of 2019 on 2010 Honda GL1800. Couple more questions, if you have time....I have 2 other Goldwings, which I have always serviced oil, filter, etc every 8,000 miles

I am 70 years old with metal rods in my back....I ride one up, take 4 to 8 day trips, don't ride in town and can no longer crawl under anything..

I noticed that CSC maintenance schedule calls for first service on rear end/differential oil change and drive shaft inspection at 3,000 miles...which I I totally agree with....but then 1,000 miles later at 4 K, pulling the rear wheels to check brake pad and rotor wear and wheel bearing torque? and also lubing the half axle CV boots with silicone spray ? Seems a bit overly soon, in my opinion....seems like all this could be done 5 K later at 8K and every 8K there after when schedule calls for another drive shaft inspection...? I would really like your experienced opinion on this....Just sayin..

Even if all the first inspections on the new kit were done at the 3,000 miles rear end service (brakes, rotors, CV boots, and wheel bearings)....and then repeated at 8 K and every 8K there after, except for brake fluid replace at 12K and rear end oil change every 20 K....would make more sense?

At every 4 K.. and a 800 miles round trip and 3 days from nearest CSC dealer, I'm doing that trip 3 times a summer when I put about 12,000 miles on in a season.....seems a bit of over kill....What say you ?

Thanks for the help and advice.....Steve

Hi Shaker,

As an official CSC representative I need to say that for safety and trike longevity you should follow the CSC service intervals.

However, I will give you a heads up and tell you that we are going to be updating this maintenance schedule soon, most likely next week.

You might want to check the CSC website next Tuesday or Wednesday for some changes that might make you life easier.

Hi Shaker,

As an official CSC representative I need to say that for safety and trike longevity you should follow the CSC service intervals.

However, I will give you a heads up and tell you that we are going to be updating this maintenance schedule soon, most likely next week.

You might want to check the CSC website next Tuesday or Wednesday for some changes that might make you life easier.

Thanks for the heads up Todd!

~Randy

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png