can the rotation of a car rearend be change

Feb 17, 2011
fairfield
hi i will like to build a trike out of a 750 yamaha drive shaft and i also have a jaguar diff but the rotation is different any one have any info on this subject

This puzzles me? Answers will be an education! I thought all internal combustion motors rotated the same direction, therefore in my minds eye, so would the differentials!
I assumed this to be true supported by the fact trike conversions use automotive differentials!
Guess I'm goning to learn something here!

first example would be the corvair engine.....have to reverse the engine rotation to use the vw trans or reverse the pinion on the trans. cant think of any others at the moment.

The Hannigan kit for the Yamaha Royal Star Venture uses a Ford Thunder-bird rear end that is flipped upside down to accommodate the drive shaft placement. When you turn one over you don't want to fill with oil as normal, and of course plug the vent that is now on the bottom, and add one to the bottom which is now the top. As to the gearing, I am not sure just what is done in the in side.......

As far as the rear end goes, forward or reverse doesn't make any difference to the gearing. All gearing changes and direction changes are done in the transmission, not the rear end (unless you have an old Studebaker Commander rear end =)). You can flip the rear end but, like mentioned earlier, you 'll probably need to change the fill/vent holes.

Bear with me here, it's been awhile. If you're just using the differential it doesn't care. If you are using the ring and pinion you can invert it but you must modify it so you get lubrication to the pinion bearing. Most pinion bearings are lubed by splash. You have to modify the housing so you still get the lube to the bearing. Now, this may or may not hold true with a Jag rear end, it's hard telling what those limeys:wtg: came up with!

Dwight

I am not sure about the reverse thing. What I have seen is that if the motor drive shaft comes off right side it works. If it comes off left side you have to flip it over. I have read stories of guys building one and not checking (?????) and driving it through the back of the garage. Now has 5 speeds in reverse.
I use Mustang 2 rear ends 2:73 gears and disk brakes. Eather 7.5 or 8.8 I think that the 9 inch is alot more than is needed but can easily find parts for all.
All the ones that I have worked on the vent tube unscrues, Just plug it with a bolt then tip it over and drill and tap new hole. ( Make sure its a short bolt, you dont want to lock down the axel) Hope this helps . Just remember there are no dumb questions and someone on here will know the answer
Lonerbtw

thanks for the info I will try flipping the rear end,hopefuly will not make that whzzing sound like a car in reverse, I will keep you posted

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png