TirGlide trailer tie downs

May 10, 2015
Rockford, MI, USA
Has anyone out there used E-track and a tire tie-down system like Erickson's tire tie-down system? This system is shown in advertising as securing a hotrod. Any experience, good or bad? Seems like it might answer the question of crosstie or not.
0006438358523_A

Just thinking out loud here...just from looking at the picks it would seem to me that getting the straps threaded under the fenders and over the tire properly might be a challenge.

What if... a strap came loose... what fender damage might happen? Also, there is no side-to-side movement security as you normally have on cross-tieing the rear down.

I agree with PosseRider... the condor chock for the front wheel and then I cross-tie the rear-end to the D-rings on the trailer via the trailer hitch bar underneath the trike. Additionally, I wrap a tie-down around the front wheel after it is in the chock and secure its ends to the front D-rings - just for peace of mind.

+1 on the Condor ... roll in, get off, tie down. I have a short strap I put through the front wheel and around the Condor center Support. Then I use a strap from each "loop" under the shocks to the opposite rear corner. Never moves at all.

As a side note ... be sure to put the trike/bike in transport mode so the battery won't be dead when you get where your going ... I have the "procedure" in my phone, it's in the owners manual.

I also like to check the straps every fuel stop ... common sense.

Just thinking out loud here...just from looking at the picks it would seem to me that getting the straps threaded under the fenders and over the tire properly might be a challenge.

What if... a strap came loose... what fender damage might happen? Also, there is no side-to-side movement security as you normally have on cross-tieing the rear down.

I agree with PosseRider... the condor chock for the front wheel and then I cross-tie the rear-end to the D-rings on the trailer via the trailer hitch bar underneath the trike. Additionally, I wrap a tie-down around the front wheel after it is in the chock and secure its ends to the front D-rings - just for peace of mind.

What Carla said

I use a harbor freight chock, a knock off of the condor, have never had any problems. Use 2 padded straps on the front from power tye, great straps, then use the hooks in the back and cross over to d rings in trailer floor.

For our toy hauler, I have a front chock that goes into E track. For the rear I use a sq. tube that fits into the trailer hitch and the other end slides in to a vertical slotted tube welded between 2 e fittings. Two hitch pins holds it in place. No straps!

Pardon the mess. Pic is taken on our TH kitchen counter that we are living in for the winter.

th hitch.jpg

+1 on the Condor ... roll in, get off, tie down. I have a short strap I put through the front wheel and around the Condor center Support. Then I use a strap from each "loop" under the shocks to the opposite rear corner. Never moves at all.

As a side note ... be sure to put the trike/bike in transport mode so the battery won't be dead when you get where your going ... I have the "procedure" in my phone, it's in the owners manual.

I also like to check the straps every fuel stop ... common sense.

Here is a link to transport mode settings

https://info.southsideharley.com/in...-harley-davidson-motorcycle-in-transport-mode

I have the E-trac tiedowns that I just put on my new TK1 Trailer plus I tie down from the front and cross tiedown the rear. I had the E-trac tiedowns in my enclosed trailer and hauled my trike to the Maggie Valley rally last Sept. and I did not move at all. It is very easy to slide the straps over top of the tires and strap them down. If the straps come off the tires, you did not have them tight enough. That tiedown system is the same system that they use to tiedown new cars when they transport them to dealers.

My buddy uses the etrack to haul his TG and vehicle (enclosed 28' aluminum trailer). His straps are like the photo the OP posted. He has never had an issue with anything coming undone or breaking.

As far as the chock, I have used a cheap simple chock since switching over to a trike from 2 wheels. What I always liked about my condor style chocks was the fact they held my bike upright. Certainly don't need that feature with a TG.

I use the Biker Bar, B&W sells them now. There is a bolted down floor plate with latches on it, and the bar clamps onto the frame just below the engine, then you just ride into the latches. They say it will hold a 2-wheeler upright. I don't know about that, but what I like is that the trike is one with the trailer, it doesn't bounce around in there. So the shocks and fork are not working while you are towing. I'm sure the forks will last longer. I have a home-made front chock, and I use a strap through the front wheel and straps in the rear using the factory rings on the bottom of the axle, those are mainly for peace of mind.

I've used the transport mode, and I've also tried leaving the key fob in the tour pack(enclosed trailer). Both work for me, never had the battery go dead while towing it.

I've used the transport mode, and I've also tried leaving the key fob in the tour pack(enclosed trailer). Both work for me, never had the battery go dead while towing it.

I always left the FOB in the top trunk, always worked for me also!..This way the FOB was always with the trike, So there isn't a chance of miss placing it..

Last edited:
Question about the rear tie down procedure suggested using the 'loops' on the TG frame and crossing the straps to the opposite side of the trailer. The mufflers hang down below the loops so once the crossed straps are tightened there is tension on the mufflers. Not sure if this is a problem but it is a concern. Anyone ever had a problem doing this?

I use X-Track that is sold thru Tractor Supply,you can use any E-Track accessories but with the X-Track you can use them in different direction.Have a wheel chock that snaps into the track,also mounted some short ones on the walls to hang the chock on when not in use.

Question about the rear tie down procedure suggested using the 'loops' on the TG frame and crossing the straps to the opposite side of the trailer. The mufflers hang down below the loops so once the crossed straps are tightened there is tension on the mufflers. Not sure if this is a problem but it is a concern. Anyone ever had a problem doing this?

I have towed two different TGs on/in two different trailers all over the country. We will leave Florida this spring pulling yet another different style (tandem tow). I have never crossed the ratchet tie downs on the rear frame loops. I have always set mine up to they pull down and slightly back. Been on some pretty rough and bouncy roads and have never had the bike move.

I never wanted my ratchet straps to touch mufflers or anything else under there.

I have towed two different TGs on/in two different trailers all over the country. We will leave Florida this spring pulling yet another different style (tandem tow). I have never crossed the ratchet tie downs on the rear frame loops. I have always set mine up to they pull down and slightly back. Been on some pretty rough and bouncy roads and have never had the bike move.

I never wanted my ratchet straps to touch mufflers or anything else under there.

Tow your trike down to Texas so we can meet you and your wife.

I have the E-trac tiedowns that I just put on my new TK1 Trailer plus I tie down from the front and cross tiedown the rear. I had the E-trac tiedowns in my enclosed trailer and hauled my trike to the Maggie Valley rally last Sept. and I did not move at all. It is very easy to slide the straps over top of the tires and strap them down. If the straps come off the tires, you did not have them tight enough. That tiedown system is the same system that they use to tiedown new cars when they transport them to dealers.

I bought them for tieing down my RZR. your right, if the strap comes loose, you didnt have it on right. Haven't used it on the Triglide.. Its only been in the trailer once to see if it fit and if the straps would go on.. I can use it if I need to...

Tow your trike down to Texas so we can meet you and your wife.

We will be back through Texas but probably not until 2022. Current traveling-bucket-list has us exploring up the east coast in 2021. Unfortunately our summer this year will be spent dealing with aging parent issues. The DW is still not happy we missed a stop at the silos last year!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png