Tri Glide Tire Pressure

Feb 17, 2020
PALM BAY
Just bought a 2018 Tri Glide with 1900 miles. Adjusted the Dunlop tires to max listed pressure of 40 lbs front & 44 lbs rear. Seems to ride a little rough & although I just got on one for the first time seems it might not track perfect???? Wondering if anyone can advise?

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

I run 36# front and 22# rear ... nitrogen. Remember, those are car tires and you have motorcycle weight on them. Done this for over 5k in 12 months and no issues.

Keep in mind also that tire PSI rises when driving so you will be over the max PSI, since you set them at there max recommended PSI>

36 front and in the upper 20-30 range for the rear would be fine..

Just bought a 2018 Tri Glide with 1900 miles. Adjusted the Dunlop tires to max listed pressure of 40 lbs front & 44 lbs rear. Seems to ride a little rough & although I just got on one for the first time seems it might not track perfect???? Wondering if anyone can advise?

Congratulations on your trike. I would highly recommend getting an owner's manual & reading it twice.

Hi Jim. Welcome. Not sure but I'm thinking you got the 'max' pressures off the sidewall of the tires. And those are indeed the max pressures not necessarily the recommended ones.

Check you owner's manual and it'll say the rear tire should be set at 26 psi. And there are some articles (you can google) that explain that 26 psi is the agreed upon minimum tire pressure for auto tires which of course the rear tires on our TGs definitely are. As others have said a lower pressure of 22 psi even down to 20 psi will be OK and greatly improve the ride.

And Harley says to set the front tire pressure at 36 psi on the trike just like it is on two wheelers.

Then check the air shocks (assuming the suspension is stock). I don't recall what it should be but it is in the owner's manual.

Here's an article from Lehman that does a good job of explaining tire pressure:

http://www.lehmantrikes.com/assets/docs/uploads/Manuals/techbook-master.pdf

Hope this helps.

My two cents is 22 in the rear and 36 in the front for what it's worth been like that for over seven years no issues. Didn't mention the Air Shocks depends on the rider and passenger to get that set. good luck there :Coffee:Ridesafe Fred

tire pressure

Drop the rear to 22 lbs and you'll be amazed at the difference. ..and yes, the front should be at 26 lbs.

At 22 lbs on the rear there is a possibility of popping the bead on a real fast tight corner, and the manual say 36 lbs in front unless of course you want to buy tires a lot

Hi Jim, :welcome:to Trike Talk

You are here to learn about the new to you trike. That is a good thing. Take what you learn here and share it with some one else. Enjoy your time here with a great bunch of guys and gals;)

I just re read your original post, it's entirely possible that your trike may be out of alignment. It's not hard to align it with the help of a trike supplement manual. I used two laser levels it was simple. Check the distance from tire to fender on each side then you will know. Travel safe Fred/Jeanne

Jess..Welcome to Trike Talk….👍👍..Most Harleys don’t come with the TPMS…?

TPMS is not a problem - the dealer can set that at what is needed. I have a conversion - originally set for front and rear time.

When I added the conversion, dealer installed TPMS is my rear tires and set that for 22. I run 22 in my rear - when I am travelling, it gets as high as 24.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png