titling a trike conversion in MD ????????

Feb 23, 2011
Frostburg, MD, USA
so, i picked up an '83 CX650C the other day for $47 & one can of PBR... i'm considering building a trike out of it... anyway, has anyone ever had any experience with anything like this in MD?... i dunno if i need to get it titled as a trike, or if motorcycles & trikes are the same in the eyes of the MVA... it has a clear title, as a motorcycle... it's historic, so that might play into it also... it seems like some things with the MVA are a real pain in the ass in MD, and some things are almost too easy... i'm just wondering which one this is gonna be.:banghead:

Hi Lockard, welcome to TrikeTalk. I don't know about Maryland, but in Ohio my Fat Boy title did not change when I added the trike kit -- the kit was simply considered an accessory as the motor, belts, etc. did not change on the bike. Sometimes the less information you volunteer, the less confusion/frustration results.

so, i picked up an '83 CX650C the other day for $47 & one can of PBR... i'm considering building a trike out of it... anyway, has anyone ever had any experience with anything like this in MD?... i dunno if i need to get it titled as a trike, or if motorcycles & trikes are the same in the eyes of the MVA... it has a clear title, as a motorcycle... it's historic, so that might play into it also... it seems like some things with the MVA are a real pain in the ass in MD, and some things are almost too easy... i'm just wondering which one this is gonna be.:banghead:

Welcome aboard. Go to your DMV web site. It might answer some of your questions. Most states treat trikes as Nana says. They are motorcycles, but there are exceptions. Good luck.

Hi Lockard, welcome to TrikeTalk. I don't know about Maryland, but in Ohio my Fat Boy title did not change when I added the trike kit -- the kit was simply considered an accessory as the motor, belts, etc. did not change on the bike. Sometimes the less information you volunteer, the less confusion/frustration results.

I had my Wing triked last year and can answer part of this. The trike is still a bike as far as MVA is concerned so there is no requirement to retitle. I had to show the Cartificate of Manufacture (whatever it's called) from CSC. I believe that you would have to get the conversion checked, inspected and approved if it's not a "factory" conversion but that should be confirmed by the MVA. It may be worth a trip to the State Police office at the main MVA office in Glen Burnie to have a talk to the gentleman in charge of the unit there - I've never had any luck getting any information like this over the telephone.

Tom