Likes Likes:  3
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Harley would make the best side car and why?

User ID

Default Speed/handeling

No two curves are the same. Take tail of the dragon for instance, 3X speed limit not quite. Speed comes from experiance and confidence in you and your machine. I can't overstate the Importance of proper setup and alignment. If not correct it can be downright dangerous. After talking with many, that's the reason they gave up the sidecar because they couldn't control it. That's a result of poor setup. I can keep up with most any touring bike on mountain roads, a lot of times they can't keep up with me, but that's 200,000 miles of sidecar experiance showing. As far as which H-D is best, get the biggest motor you can afford on a touring bike. If you're riding yourself any will do. If you ride with others your not going to keep up on an evo/sidecar rig when there riding newer bigger motor bikes. Keep in mind, pulling the sidecar is like dragging a sportster along side you, that's not running... takes some extra muscle to drag that thing around.
    Ride Safe

AMA, HOG, IBA, PGR, USCA,

User ID
    Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas

So you are saying that you can't assume if the sign says 45mph for the next right hand turn, that you can take it at 45mph, because the car could and will take flight if you don't know what you are doing. If so, then I can see why this guy I'm thinking on another forum, just vanished after a few post indicating he wasn't too happy. Probably didn't help that he was doing this on a Royal Enfield he had a dealer install to car for him on. Lots of things going against his success I guess then. I just didn't know if suggested speed limit would be safe and it sounds like, no. Kinda explains the vanishing act I think. Too bad but that's why I ask. I don't want to be him but I'd sure like to keep my saddlebags when I go to 3 and this just about the only way.
    The only reason some people are still alive is it's illegal to shoot them.
    American Legion Rider & Patriot Guard Rider

550+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by hogcowboy View Post
    So you are saying that you can't assume if the sign says 45mph for the next right hand turn, that you can take it at 45mph, because the car could and will take flight if you don't know what you are doing. If so, then I can see why this guy I'm thinking on another forum, just vanished after a few post indicating he wasn't too happy. Probably didn't help that he was doing this on a Royal Enfield he had a dealer install to car for him on. Lots of things going against his success I guess then. I just didn't know if suggested speed limit would be safe and it sounds like, no. Kinda explains the vanishing act I think. Too bad but that's why I ask. I don't want to be him but I'd sure like to keep my saddlebags when I go to 3 and this just about the only way.
    as mentioned every bike is different... i had a kz1300 w a champion legend i stated w some weight in the sidecar an reduced as i felt comfortable... if i was on a "spirited" ride which was most of the time i would leave some in..and still go faster than posted speed on curves..with no concern about lifting... with a passenger ..pretty tough to fly the chair... with that rig..

you rig will probably differ

User ID

my wife lov's the sidecar if i was to hand build a car i would use moly tubing and would set it up with electric lean angle actuator so a push of a button would correct angle for high crown roads or side wind ... i have thought about adding it to my hd sidecar for years but i think it would be quicker to build new frame .
    mike aka magoo
    hd sidecar rig/building v6 supercharged trike
    "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile"

User ID

Hmm...interesting comments for sure. Sure would be my best option to go 3 for sure. I got the weight I can use to give some ballast. Us country boys can just rob a weight off some piece of farm equipment, so I got that covered. Will have to give this some serious consideration.

550+ Posts
    User ID

[QUOTE=irmagoo;741541]my wife lov's the sidecar if i was to hand build a car i would use moly tubing and would set it up with electric lean angle actuator so a push of a button would correct angle for high crown roads or side wind ... i have thought about adding it to my hd sidecar for years but i think it would be quicker to build new frame .[/QUOTE\

imo moly is a waste of $ if you want to race, by all means but in this case most likely you want some weight..

not sure how the spindle is attached on a hd chair but dont think it would be more work than building a frame from scratch.. put the wheel on a swing arm and the linear actuator and a spring.. you would have a better ride and the tilt as well.. if its not a hd car its even easier

User ID

Once you know your rig you will know what speeds you can take a curve. On my RGU rig I can take any cure above the recommend posted speed. Even on twisty roads like the Dragon I can keep up with most. It takes time to get your muscle memory trained to drive a rig. It will come in time. You learn to with out thinking to use the throttle to help in or out of curves, use brakes to help ,or hold steady. Like learning to ride it takes time but most will get it. Most negative things you read about sidecares is lack of time to learn or setup issues. I am often ask how the Hexx did you stay with us. My response is I was waiting for you to get going.

Neither of our Rigs require any extra weight in them. Of course the smaller 750 Street will fly the car. But not is anyway dangerous long as you learn to drive it.

2019 on the Dragon. You may not notice it but we were being very aggressive on that ride.

At the end of this link you will see some short video from the sidecar. A friend that had never been in one wanted to see if it really could be pushed. You won't notice it but at times speeds of 90 mph .

On the RGU you will not fly the car If you know how you can force it but it is hard to do. On lighter Rigs Flying the car is a skill you can learn to use to your advantage.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHQMaen

User ID

I'm beginning to think that the guy I'm thinking of just had a poorly adjusted rig. He said he wanted the ability to easily remove the car so don't know if that played into it as well. Being new and not really knowing what he was doing, I can sure see getting things crossed up and then blame everything on the car. I mean, it could never be the riders fault. I haven't seen a single post from him in over a year so assume he's left the scene of sidecars.

User ID

I'm beginning to think that the guy I'm thinking of just had a poorly adjusted rig. He said he wanted the ability to easily remove the car so don't know if that played into it as well. Being new and not really knowing what he was doing, I can sure see getting things crossed up and then blame everything on the car. I mean, it could never be the riders fault. I haven't seen a single post from him in over a year so assume he's left the scene of sidecars.
    The RGU rig car will come off in 20 minutes or less and the bike rides great with out it. The problem is it is so much fun with it one . You just don't want to take it off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12