2020 CVO Tri Glide Ride Quality Review

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
Wes fell in love with a white 2020 CVO Tri Glide. Had to have it.

During the first 2000 miles he realized how much he enjoyed his first ever Tri Glide...except for one thing. It was a horrible ride when the road was anything but totally smooth.

After researching he decided to stop by on his way to Daytona Bike week, from Kansas City, to get some 14" Trike Series Shocks™ and a 14" Convertible Comfort Lift™.

Yesterday I had a chance to ride it right before and right after the install.

The CVO is indeed a nice Tri Glide, but for one major factor. These....

Wes%20CVO%20TG%20Rear%20Wheel.jpg

...low profile rear tires, even with the PSI dropped from OEM 26 psi to 23 psi. There is hardly any sidewall flex to absorb the bumps (it's not like the OEM shocks are going to do a good job of it).

On one road, yesterday, Wes thought it was going "to break the Tri Glide apart" it was so rough of a ride.

After my ride in the stock configuration, we removed the factory shock bracket and the factory shocks and replaced them with the Trike Series Shocks™ and Comfort Lift™.

Wes%20CVO%20TG%20TSS.jpg

Then went for another ride. Little bumps are gone, and bigger ones are rounded out...no more hard jolts. Not quite as smooth as a non CVO with larger sidewalls, but still a huge improvement and a very nice ride.

Wes is a happy rider now.

Wes%20CVO%20TG.jpg

Another shot of the CVO.

Wes%20CVO%20TG%202.jpg

Kevin

Beautiful bike and some really well done photos.

Why would Harley, knowing that trikes are rough, put low profile tires on them?

Because to the newbies getting into trikes they like the way they look...And not understanding that an already hard riding Trike will ride even harder..

Designers don't necessarily ride the machines that they design....

Because to the newbies getting into trikes they like the way they look...And not understanding that an already hard riding Trike will ride even harder..

I agree with rhino2, the bean counters and designers want the look everybody is after whether it is good or not, I know street rodders go for the low profile tires but most of them don't drive them except to car shows, yes the triglide rides rougher and now the CVO even harder imagine, wouldn't work for me for sure with my bad back.

All for now Trampas

Beautiful bike and some really well done photos.

Why would Harley, knowing that trikes are rough, put low profile tires on them?

What rhino 2 said, plus I will add another thought or two...

Harley had to distinguish the look of the CVO from the standard TG, putting the low profile, larger diameter tire was an easy way to get a much better look.

Many folks ride on primarily very nice roads, and on those roads, combined with the superior seat that is on the CVO, the ride is not bad.

Another big factor, the average Harley owner only rides 3000 miles a year, so many folks are simply not going to be riding enough to be bothered by it.

Final note- we have one Customer that has reported that he and his wife really enjoy the ride quality of their stock 2020 CVO TG, for them it is smooth and comfortable.

Kevin

What rhino 2 said, plus I will add another thought or two...

Harley had to distinguish the look of the CVO from the standard TG, putting the low profile, larger diameter tire was an easy way to get a much better look.

Many folks ride on primarily very nice roads, and on those roads, combined with the superior seat that is on the CVO, the ride is not bad.

Another big factor, the average Harley owner only rides 3000 miles a year, so many folks are simply not going to be riding enough to be bothered by it.

Final note- we have one Customer that has reported that he and his wife really enjoy the ride quality of their stock 2020 CVO TG, for them it is smooth and comfortable.

Kevin

THANK YOU

Gabe and Teresa customers of Kevin

Bob is right on here, I would add, H D needs to be able to justify the higher cost on the CVO models so they throw on extra and IMO too much added bling

CVO Ride

My wife and I have the 2020 CVO Tri-Glide also. What I have noticed from start was that the ride was a little stiffer than the 2012 Tri that my wife had. Can't remember the exact tire and shock settings prior to making adjustments. I do find that the CVO with the low profile front tire makes it a LOT easier to steer/handle. I weight in at about 210 and my wife weighs in at about 130. We have ended up with the rear shock settings at 2-4 with rear tire pressure at 22 pds and the front tire at 36. The ride seems very good to me right now....getting ready to spend a couple of weeks in Tenn riding with friends. Will update you guys/gals if I need to think about shock/wheel/tire changes at that point.

My wife and I have the 2020 CVO Tri-Glide also. What I have noticed from start was that the ride was a little stiffer than the 2012 Tri that my wife had. Can't remember the exact tire and shock settings prior to making adjustments. I do find that the CVO with the low profile front tire makes it a LOT easier to steer/handle. I weight in at about 210 and my wife weighs in at about 130. We have ended up with the rear shock settings at 2-4 with rear tire pressure at 22 pds and the front tire at 36. The ride seems very good to me right now....getting ready to spend a couple of weeks in Tenn riding with friends. Will update you guys/gals if I need to think about shock/wheel/tire changes at that point.

I put a set of Freewheeler wheels on my 17 Tri Glide and i noticed it seemed to steer a little easier.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png