Traveling with a laptop

Juju

Contributing Member
Aug 29, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Do any of you carry a laptop on your trips?

I'm thinking of getting a small Apple laptop or an iPad for our travels this summer and thinking that, other considerations aside, the iPad might fare better in my trunk because of its flash memory. Seems to me that it would endure the occasional rough road better than a regular laptop with an actual hard drive inside. Also, the iPad offers month-to-month (no contract) 3G internet access (not dependent on wi-fi) at a reasonable price.

So...any input on this tough decision? Thanks for anything you can add! :putergreet:

Judy, I carry my MAC Book in the trunk of the trike on all trips. We have an aircard for internet access when there is no wifi available. I've never had any trouble with the computer as a result of taking it along, but I do keep it in a protective case and slipped into an extra-large ziplock bag to keep any moisture from reaching it.

Oh, right--I'd forgotten that you always had your laptop at the rallies. Good to know! And I hadn't thought about the aircard either. This research is making me crazy--so many angles to consider!

The aircard is great! It frequently provides faster internet speeds than the WiFi at some of the campgrounds we visit. Of course, we always have a laptop in the camper, but the iPad is in my Tour-Pac. I even rigged up a charging port for it there. The virtual keyboard is slower, of course, but I'm a two finger hunt-n-pecker anyway.

JuJu,

The wife and I each carry a HP "mini" with us. They're very rugged and when kept in a well padded case they hold up really well. They are a lot cheaper than an iPad and IMHO more functional.

We have a "pay-as-you-go" air card that we got at Best Buy for internet when there isn't Wi-Fi available (which isn't often). I recently looked at an iPad but the 3G they were offering was an additional device to add onto my dataplan on an already too expensive cell bill. Not a month-to-month. That's why we went with the PAYG air card.

I also have a cable to connect the mini to my Garmin. That way I can map routes at night and download to the Garmin for the next day.

Hope some of this long-windedness helps. :blahblah:

Oh brother, can you say "can of worms"? LOL!

My MacBook is my main computer, so I don't want to take that with me--otherwise, this decision would be easy. So I do need another device. But now I guess I'm going to have to look at the aircard thing, or the prepaid aircard--thanks for the tip Big Un.

Ultra--your ingenuity continues to amaze me--you rigged up a charging station for your iPad in your tour box??? Next thing we know, you'll be running jet engines on your trike! :cool:

Juju, we got a mini from Verizon and the cost is simply added to our monthly cell bill. We slip it into the trunk under John's camera and it's fine in its case. I've even watched movies on it (from Netflix) in the car while traveling, so its own airtime works anywhere there's a Verizon provider. Hope you find the right solution for you! (Hugs!)

Thanks, Blondie. Verizon is the cell phone service I use, so this is another thing for me to look into. Hugs back atchya!!!

Hi JuJU, hope U and the Chief are doing good.. Long time no hear from U....

Check out the 3G store http://3gstore.com/ they have a lot of different plans for campers.. and use the major companies...

might be worth checking out...

Good Luck...

By the way Verizon offers a Military discount.....

I have ridden all over the country with my full size laptop. In heavy rain, lightning, bright sunshine, snow & ice, -3'F to 106'F. I tapped a 12VDC outlet into a rear light so I can charge things while riding. The laptop is always in a standard padded case. Never caused any damage to it (not even passing through NYC potholes).
Sometimes the worms get out of their can and get on-line while I am travelling using my cell phone as a modem (Sprint).

Don't forget many Motels , hotels , Campgrounds, Mc Donalds, coffee shops , Starbucks , Pannara Bread have Wi fi . i am going to try mine on the streets of Americade.

I have an iPad, but for travel I think a regular laptop would be better. Picked the wife up a Dell mini...only 250.00 at SAMs Club...lot cheaper than iPad..plus if you like having map source for gps..there's no way to download map source to the iPad, no USB ports etc...
But I do like the iPad...I have a 32gb 3G wifi.... Santa was good to me

Oh, right--I'd forgotten that you always had your laptop at the rallies. Good to know! And I hadn't thought about the air card either. This research is making me crazy--so many angles to consider!

Hi JuJu, I cheat a little. I always travel with my county panasonic toughbook issued computer. It has an aircard and wi-fi. Plus it's a toughbook almost indestructible.

I use to travel with my laptop but it was bulky. I thought about the "palm size" items out there but the screens were too hard to read with these ol' eyes. I ended up with a small ACER notebook for $350.00. Has plenty of memory for downloading photos, files, and mapping programs; built-in WiFi, video cam, etc.

Being on Verizon and living out in the sticks I don't have the LUXURY of highspeed anything so I use their MiFi that lets me use it anywhere - including on the boat.

All this feedback is VERY helpful!

I borrowed a friend's iPad for a few days and that thing drove me crazy. It seems handy for some things, and the touch screen is undeniably cool. But as some of you have noted, typing on it is slow--and frustrating. So I'm leaning toward some sort of netbook, or, if I can stand to come off the $$$, maybe one of those snappy new Mac airbooks, maybe with an aircard.

Jeez, I was planning to retire next year, but if I keep buying toys....:gah:

Judy, I've been doing the same research for myself. My laptop is my primary device, and I already have an aircard to use with it, but I don't want to risk something happening to it when I travel, especially on the trike.

I do have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan, but the screen is so small, and the touch screen to type more than a few words? Arrrrghh!!

I've pretty much narrowed down my choice to getting a netbook, and when my aircard contract expires in April I'll either get one of Verizon's HotSpot devices or a 4G Modem (aircard)...right now, leaning towards the HotSpot so I can use it with the netbook, my laptop, or my iPod.

I will be watching this thread though for additional thoughts & suggestions!!

I always take a full sized lap top along, I'll use the free Wifi if its available or I use the 3g on a rooted Android phone that will act as a wireless router. I think if I had to leave my computer behind I'd be bummed because its saved my bacon a time or two.

Juju: You might consider looking at some of the netbooks/notebooks on tigerdirect.com or CompUSA.com. They usually have some good deals on refurbished gear.

Cheri--How is the Hotspot different to the aircard?

Basically, the aircard is actually a modem that plugs into a usb port on the laptop, and is useful only for the device it's plugged into at that moment. Mine works well, but I don't have a lot of "airtime" available with the plan, and the modem sucks it up very quickly!

The HotSpot is a separate piece about the size of an mp3 player, that actually transmits a WiFi signal, and can connect up to 5 internet-capable devices at one time (laptop/pc, ipod, game console, etc). Plus, the plans are about the same cost as my current aircard plan, but have a LOT more airtime included!

So I could use the HotSpot with my laptop, a netbook, an ipod, an iPad, a game console, etc.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png