Likes Likes:  3
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Reverse on FLSTC Trike Conversion

1+ Posts
    User ID

Default Reverse on FLSTC Trike Conversion

Has anyone experienced problems when installing Vance and Hines Short Shots on 2011 Softail with the Motor Trike Reverse Gear? Most of their installations show the shift lever at the rear of the transmission but mine is at the front. I ordered the pipes but now worried if they are going to work.

1+ Posts
    User ID

Default Short Shots on Softail with reverse gear

Got them today and they won't work. The reverse gear extends the clutch actuator out almost an inch and the pipes with not line up.

Cut N Shoot Customs
    TrikeTalk Founder
    TrikeTalk Administrator
    User ID
    FT Author
    2 Threads

Quote Originally Posted by FLMARENG View Post
    Got them today and they won't work. The reverse gear extends the clutch actuator out almost an inch and the pipes with not line up.
    It should not move it out by an inch, should be more like 1/2 to 3/4 as that is the thickness the reverse kit's mechanism adds, and though I have not installed a MT reverse, they are built off the same design as the Champion reverse kits I install.

This is gonna sound shade tree, but Brad the main Hannigan tech installer who has done hundreds of installs, taught me this years ago. The common fix is to shim the pipes out at the bottom frame exhaust standoff mount using washers, and secure it as you normally would. It will be close, but in most cases it will clear.

Leave both the front and rear upper exhaust head pipe nuts loose while shimming and tightening the lower frame standoff mount bolt, then tighten both front and rear head pipe nuts.

1+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Zook View Post
    It should not move it out by an inch, should be more like 1/2 to 3/4 as that is the thickness the reverse kit's mechanism adds, and though I have not installed a MT reverse, they are built off the same design as the Champion reverse kits I install.

This is gonna sound shade tree, but Brad the main Hannigan tech installer who has done hundreds of installs, taught me this years ago. The common fix is to shim the pipes out at the bottom frame exhaust standoff mount using washers, and secure it as you normally would. It will be close, but in most cases it will clear.

Leave both the front and rear upper exhaust head pipe nuts loose while shimming and tightening the lower frame standoff mount bolt, then tighten both front and rear head pipe nuts.
    "Got them on just had to notch the heat shield for the rear pipe. Would have been neater if I had the right grinder"