Reverse Motor keeps breaking

I have had my Reverse Motor replaced 5 time now. How many others are having the same problems? My last one only put 2000 miles on bike before it went out. I am sick a hell over this. Is HD every going to fix this problem? Your guess is as good as mine.

I have had my Reverse Motor replaced 5 time now. How many others are having the same problems? My last one only put 2000 miles on bike before it went out. I am sick a hell over this. Is HD every going to fix this problem? Your guess is as good as mine.

Hi William and welcome to Trike Talk. I've no first hand knowledge having put 24k on my 2018 TG and now have a new 2020 TG but I've heard and read of failures with the reverse motor. But you problems definitely sound excessive even for the 'ordinary' problems. So a couple questions that may help you and many of the others who reply here to identify what is going on.

What year is your Tri-Glide

How many miles

Does the circuit breaker trip. If so how often.

How do you use reverse? It is only for short spurts - not long term engagement and definitely not for backing up inclines. These things will no doubt contribute to an early failure.

I try to limit its use when riding two up. I'll back it out before my co-rider mounts.

And of course it may be possible there is some sort of installation / fitment problem that is contributing to the early failure of the motor. I've never removed / installed a reverse motor but is it possible for some sort of misalignment.

You definitely need a competent dealer / indy to investigate this it seems to me. This is not normal even by Harley standards.

Good luck in remedying this problem.

First time mine went out ('13 TG), it got replaced with a Motor Trike Mechanical Reverse w/ Safety Lockout. Why? Rebuild the MoCo motor at $295 a pop, and you'll just keep rebuilding it. Replace it with a new one, you have to pay for it at $1700 plus labor and you'll replace it again and again. Spend $1800 plus labor ($2200 total in my case) and it's done! I can back up anywhere for as long as I want and as fast or slow as I want (as long as I can keep it under control). Been running mechanical reverse for about five years now with absolutely no issues!

First ' William Let you welcome you to Trike-Talk.....Second what year is it....

With my 2011 Tri....I took mine out four times my self before i bit the bullet and put in a Mechanical reverse.....Problem resolved...

I do like the idea of a mechanical reverse but I think that could present problems with Harley's factory warranty and some ESPs if installed. I read the installation instructions for the product mentioned and while it looks very well engineered it does involve mods to the trans and the wiring system. Not all have such warranty concerns but for those who do I would consider the implications.

sorry to hear

Sad you are having so many problems with the reverse motor not wanting to hex myself I believe our 09 has the OEM on it. I have not had any issues with it at all. I want you to know I only use on the level and not for extended periods doing so. I am very fortunate not to need it often, I pick my stopping and parking places very very carefully and will not use it unless it is absolutely necessary. I have heard so many horror stories such as yours I am very careful when and how I use it. Good luck a mechanical may be the best route of your purposes. Travel safe Fred

DSC01108.JPGDSC01103.JPG

I cleaned our frame up last year and again this that reverse motor is no fun to get at with the body on let me tell you. the dirty one is 8 years of crudd

Sad you are having so many problems with the reverse motor not wanting to hex myself I believe our 09 has the OEM on it. I have not had any issues with it at all. I want you to know I only use on the level and not for extended periods doing so. I am very fortunate not to need it often, I pick my stopping and parking places very very carefully and will not use it unless it is absolutely necessary. I have heard so many horror stories such as yours I am very careful when and how I use it. Good luck a mechanical may be the best route of your purposes. Travel safe Fred

View attachment 85116View attachment 85115

I cleaned our frame up last year and again this that reverse motor is no fun to get at with the body on let me tell you. the dirty one is 8 years of crudd

Actually its not too bad.....But then i had practice at it [4 times]...I disconnected the wires to the solenoid taped the ends and then zipped tied them out of harms way ,Then just unbolt the two bolts holding the motor to the frame....All this was while going in from the right side with out jacking up the trike or removing the rear tire ;

;AKA Caveman Style......:laugh:....

I've had 2 or 3 replaced, under warranty, since 2011. I use mine whenever I want. Sometimes days go by without using it, other times I may use it 5 times in one day. I do try and limit backing up hill with it.

Having 5 failures, with one of them being after 2000 miles...that is not usual.

Are these replacements new HD units or a 3rd party rebuilt? Is reverse used a lot in going up hill or in sand, etc?

Might be time to go with a mechanical and be done with it.

Kevin

Welcome to Trike Talk

Sorry to hear your problem

My understanding is HD is only rebuilding the motors now, it sounds like your problem is not being addressed properly

What do your repair orders show?

Welcome aboard, William!

So far at 29,000 miles, no issues yet. I do Like Fearless, don't use it any more than needed. I watch where I park & let gravity do the work. And short bursts only & never up hill. Hope you get it sorted out, does not sound normal to me, based on your info so far.

Reactions: MDO
May be just lucky. I used mine whenever I wanted. Have slight incline in drive & backed up it many times. Just traded the 16 on a 20. Had 45,000 miles on it & no reverse problems at all. Sorry to see all your troubles. Actually I don't remember ever having the breaker pop either.

Mine is a 2014 with 25000 mile on it

Mine is a 2014 with 25000 mile on it. I took out extra warranty when I got my bike and it has saved me a lot more then the cost as I am on my 5th one. Mostly use it when taking it out of garage. It has only tripped the breaker a hand full of times. Every time it goes out not doing any thing crazy.

I've had 2 or 3 replaced, under warranty, since 2011. I use mine whenever I want. Sometimes days go by without using it, other times I may use it 5 times in one day. I do try and limit backing up hill with it.

Having 5 failures, with one of them being after 2000 miles...that is not usual.

Are these replacements new HD units or a 3rd party rebuilt? Is reverse used a lot in going up hill or in sand, etc?

Might be time to go with a mechanical and be done with it.

Kevin

I have had it replaced at 3 different HD Shops. This thing is driving me nuts as I am disabled and can't push it bake on my own. Good wife pushes me back when it breaks. After warranty is out will find different kind.

I have had it replaced at 3 different HD Shops. This thing is driving me nuts as I am disabled and can't push it bake on my own. Good wife pushes me back when it breaks. After warranty is out will find different kind.

Good to hear you have the warranty...that is what saved me too. But 5 times is far too many. What a hassle.

Kevin

I would like to see his Repair Orders to confirm exactly what the dealer is doing;)

I agree here. Hard to diagnose online really. I'm just curious if it had a burnt spot in the armature or field coil or both and they throw it on a high amp battery, get it to turn, and reinstall it and call it good. Could be brushes, tap on it and it works again for awhile. But I would get the battery load tested. If they have not already. A dead cell can burn up a starter, reverse motor. And does not really show up on a trickle charge or charger. Everything else may work fine.

I agree here. Hard to diagnose online really. I'm just curious if it had a burnt spot in the armature or field coil or both and they throw it on a high amp battery, get it to turn, and reinstall it and call it good. Could be brushes, tap on it and it works again for awhile. But I would get the battery load tested. If they have not already. A dead cell can burn up a starter, reverse motor. And does not really show up on a trickle charge or charger. Everything else may work fine.

Yes indeed, the tapping breaks the carbon arc just enough to turn the motor over a bit but does NOTHING in the long term health of the motor;)

Reactions: MDO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png