Reverse Motor keeps breaking

Not a so called starter repair shops are created equal

I had a 68 torino and was having starter problems so I went to where i thought was a good place to get it fixed. My Father said he most likely would not take it there ah what would he know anyway... long story short he's a very wise man ended up paying for two. Sometimes you never know could be just bad luck sound odd though. Just sayin Fred

Reverse

I had a warranty when I bought my used trike. The reverse died 2 weeks before it ended used it 4 times. It took 3 weeks to get the new one! I put a manual reverse in at the same time.

Used the new electric twice, love the manual one. I grew up with manual reverse on my police bikes in the 60's.

The reverse motor on the Tri-Glide .....Is not a starter motor....It is a High Torque low spinning electric motor...The factory motor on my EX-2011 was made by Hitachi..

First welcome.

After reading many stores the first time mime quit. I installed Motor Trike Mechanical Reverse. With the knowledge of what was to happen if the stock reverse motor was replaced. Replacing with the Motor Trike Kit has been worth every cent.

In my option save your money an do it once. No matter witch after market you choose! Good luck with your choice!

First welcome.

After reading many stores the first time mime quit. I installed Motor Trike Mechanical Reverse. With the knowledge of what was to happen if the stock reverse motor was replaced. Replacing with the Motor Trike Kit has been worth every cent.

In my option save your money an do it once. No matter witch after market you choose! Good luck with your choice!

Thats the one i used on my 2011 Tri...And i found out that its much smoother with the engine off.....Pull the cluch in slide the lever into reverse still holding the cluch in and then start the engine, Then ease off the cluch and back right out..ThumbUp....

Reverse motor repair

My reverse quit last spring. During the summer, I found a local automotive electrical repair shop close to home (Precision Power, Lansing, MI) and took it in. He'd never seen the Harley setup before, but said it was a common small starter motor with a gear reduction added to it. Took him about a week to have time to get to it, but I had it back the next week. Damage mainly was the motor brush assembly was melted and the solenoid contact was burned. The brush holder was a standard Hitachi part, the solenoid a 12 volt Mitsubishi. He said to use genuine OEM parts, as there are knockoffs for both of those parts. (I'll do it myself next time)..

Apparently the duty cycle for this application is about 1%.... (7 seconds on, 700 seconds off);)

Reverse broke by dealer

Took the wife's 2014 in for another issue and an oil change due to lack of time for me to handle. She seldom ever uses the reverse and only when she absolutely has to. We left for Sturgis right after getting bike back from dealer. As we were short on time trailered bikes to the rally. Got there and went to unload -- no reverse to back out of trailer --- GRRRRR! Rode the rally and did a bit of trip before being able to get back to dealer which of course said it wasn't their fault --go figure.

Reverse is still out and need to get it fixed --- not sure what to do -- what is difficulty factor on the Moto trike unit??

Tks

Took the wife's 2014 in for another issue and an oil change due to lack of time for me to handle. She seldom ever uses the reverse and only when she absolutely has to. We left for Sturgis right after getting bike back from dealer. As we were short on time trailered bikes to the rally. Got there and went to unload -- no reverse to back out of trailer --- GRRRRR! Rode the rally and did a bit of trip before being able to get back to dealer which of course said it wasn't their fault --go figure.

Reverse is still out and need to get it fixed --- not sure what to do -- what is difficulty factor on the Moto trike unit??

Tks

I let the dealer do it.....17 hundred with an oil change total.....When the reverse was optional on Tri-Glides 09 and down......He would install the Motor Trike reverse for the same price as Harley was charging for the electric one.......

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png