Likes Likes:  2
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: New noisy EBC brakes!

User ID

Default New noisy EBC brakes!

Pulled the stock rear pads (which looked almost new) last fall and installed some Yellow EBC performance pads.

The rear braking sucked with the stock pads...but they were quiet.

These new EBC pads are bedded in correctly, stop much better than stock.....but squeal like a stuck Pig!

I put the stock pads on today and can't wait to yank them out of the calipers!

The pedal requires way too much effort!

You guys got any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Roadsmith banner
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

Try pressure washing the pads after being installed and worn in a bit (wand wash car wash is what I do). Sometimes the EBC will put out a lot of dust at first ... then quiet down. I had this issue with the Gold Wings. After a couple washings, they quieted down. I still have this issue sometimes with my tri with hem pads. We get lots of dust here, wand washing usually knocks it out.
    2014 Tri Glide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2006 Gold Wing Comfort Navi Abs - Jessica, 2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

User ID

Did you clean the rotors before installing the pads? If not some of the residue can transfer to the pads. Noise is usually found due to contaminated surfaces, and lack of lube on hardware. If you have shims on the pads make sure they are in good shape and apply some to the shims. If you do not have shims apply it to the backing plates of the pads. This helps cushion the vibration that creates squealing Make sure the pads are slightly roughed up again before reassembly. Do NOT use brake cleaner, this can and will transfer deposits to the surface, soapy water is the best followed by a good rinsing
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 33years)
    Current ride : 17 FREEWHEELER M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs Outlaw air cleaner, modified by me head breather vent with drain, Gutted stock mufflers, (RJS Originals) rear wheel discs , (RJS Originals) custom windshield lower panel, Mighty Mites Love Jugs fans by Papa Zook

User ID

Thanks for the tips Guys!

Better clean things up and try some caliper lube..... which I've never used before.

Crazy that the stock pads are EBC also, but they are like blocks of hard wood...useless!