Fuel door

dinosaur

10+ Posts
Dec 26, 2019
Zionhill, PA, USA
I am unhappy:( with the fuel door on my '19 tri-glide, wishing it opened further. I didn't see anything after doing a search, so has anybody modified the door/hinge so it opens further?

Thanks

Story has it "it's a safety think"

Anything short of a custom dash it is what it is. It is sort of a pain in the butt I'm used to it now. A custom dash would make it a whole different game though.... Keep us posted on the progress on project. Stay safe Stay home Stay healthy :good: Fred

I am unhappy:( with the fuel door on my '19 tri-glide, wishing it opened further. I didn't see anything after doing a search, so has anybody modified the door/hinge so it opens further?

Thanks

I had 2 Tri-Glide’s and both fuel doors opened the same just enough to get in the way of the gas nozzle’ just a slight annoyance if that’s what you are talking about? And as far as I know you have to just live with it I haven’t heard of a remedy...

Sorry that its an annoyance for you. I guess I've gotten used to it. My first real modern "Touring" Harley is a 2008 FLHTP, its got the same fuel door as my wifes 2011 Tri-Glide. But both lock and you have to have the key to open them. My 2018 Street Glide and my new 2019 Tri-Glide have that push button deal instead of the key. They still open the same as far as far as distance wise as the older models. But I can tell you to watch out for the spring at the hinged end of the lid on the push button models. If they become weak, and they will, it makes it extremely hard to open the lid. It won't pop up when you push the button. Simple fix though just spread the spring out when it gets to the point of almost not popping open. The older ones you turned the key and pulled the key, springs were no issue or not as big of one. Up until I got the 2008 never had that trap door. Sorry I know that don't help much but they've been the same for a few years now.

When I rode two wheelers I always pulled in with the left side facing the pump and pumped from the left side since I fueled with the bike on the side stand and the door could be a bit in the way. But with the TG I do it from the right side and the fuel door isn't a problem at all. I am right handed so those who are left handed would probably want to fuel the TG from the left side.

Thanks

Over 30 yrs on HD & never gave it a thought. No problem for me. :confused:

When I rode two wheelers I always pulled in with the left side facing the pump and pumped from the left side since I fueled with the bike on the side stand and the door could be a bit in the way. But with the TG I do it from the right side and the fuel door isn't a problem at all. I am right handed so those who are left handed would probably want to fuel the TG from the left side.
Lefty here...:drinks:Stay Safe, Stay Home and Stay Healthy... Fred

It is a pain in the ass for sure. I don't know why HD don't make the door open for the rear.

Why.........

Like a lot of Designers/Engineers they don't actually use or work on the product that they designed or engineered....Have you ever changed a burnt out headlight on some of these newer cars.....Or tried to get at the screw that holds the Tri-Glide seat...

Last edited:
Never thought about the fuel door situation, it just seemed normal! However rhino, the seat screw is another situation. What a pain to get back into place, especially with the Road Zeppelin seat, that seems to take up a little more space.

Never thought about the fuel door situation, it just seemed normal! However rhino, the seat screw is another situation. What a pain to get back into place, especially with the Road Zeppelin seat, that seems to take up a little more space.
A one inch piece of milk jug with an X cut in the center place the screw through the seat bracket and push the plastic washer you created on the bolt. I did this Seven years ago and it's still in place and easy to get started as well. Stay Safe, Stay Home and Stay Healthy... :good: Fred

A one inch piece of milk jug with an X cut in the center place the screw through the seat bracket and push the plastic washer you created on the bolt. I did this Seven years ago and it's still in place and easy to get started as well. Stay Safe, Stay Home and Stay Healthy... :good: Fred

GREAT idea Fred. Had seat off to adjust shocks AGAIN. Cut a piece of plastic & stuck on the bolt. New model is now 3" long with a knurled head . You could still drop it,so your fix was good.

GREAT idea Fred. Had seat off to adjust shocks AGAIN. Cut a piece of plastic & stuck on the bolt. New model is now 3" long with a knurled head . You could still drop it,so your fix was good.
Well not really my Idea and I forget where I heard it, but it sure works for me. Stay safe .... Fred:boredom:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png