Dna conversion noise on 96 hd sportster

Apr 4, 2020
Garner
Hello. I have a dna conversion on my 1996 hd sportster. I put a new drive belt on my 70 spline pulley.

It now has a whining noise when i ride the bike. The tension has the correct play & i have greased the fittings on the axle. Plenty of grease when i disassembled the rear end before putting on the new belt. I have used both 1 1/8" & presently 1 1/2" belts. Any ideas as what it may be? It is a good rear end.

Any particular way of aligning the new belt? Hope i am posting in the correct place. Thanks for your

help.

Angelo

You may want to post this question in the Harley conversions subforum a lot more traffic there ya kno... Possibly tires check tread design or possibly drive belt needs aligned, it may not be set up properly not pointing fingers just saying... Good luck finding issue please keep us posted. :good: Fred

Welcome to Trike Talk

Almost always a noise after a belt replacement can be traced back to the adjustment of the belt

Did you rotate the wheels in gear to find the tight spot of the belt? Have another go at it and do check back in;)

Not being able to hear the noise, but based of what you are describing, the whining your are hearing is most likely the belt being forced against one side of the pulley due to not being properly aligned. You can rotate it by hand to get it close, but it can wander when torque is applied.

You or preferably someone with mechanical knowledge will need to CAREFULLY jack up the rear of the trike and secure it on jack stands and run it at an idle in 1st gear and see which side the belt is rubbing against. Adjust the alignment bolts on either side until the belt is running centered in the pulley, and be aware of keeping the proper tension.

A quick and cheap way to determine if belt alignment is your issue, is to pick up a can of CRC Belt Dressing at any auto parts store, liberally spray the edges of the belt/pulley while rotating it, then take it for a spin. If the sound temporarily goes away, the problem is alignment.

20200408_163609.jpg

A quick and cheap way to determine if belt alignment is your issue, is to pick up a can of CRC Belt Dressing at any auto parts store, liberally spray the edges of the belt/pulley while rotating it, then take it for a spin. If the sound temporarily goes away, the problem is alignment.

View attachment 85849

In a pinch I have used my kids crayons. The wax will quiet the belt down also;)

Hello. I have a dna conversion on my 1996 hd sportster. I put a new drive belt on my 70 spline pulley.

It now has a whining noise when i ride the bike. The tension has the correct play & i have greased the fittings on the axle. Plenty of grease when i disassembled the rear end before putting on the new belt. I have used both 1 1/8" & presently 1 1/2" belts. Any ideas as what it may be? It is a good rear end.

Any particular way of aligning the new belt? Hope i am posting in the correct place. Thanks for your

help.

Angelo

I also just noticed that you said you have tried both a 1 1/8" belt and are currently running a 1 1/2" belt. The DNA kit for your make and model Sportster calls for the stock 1 1/8" belt. That is what I would run as it will give you more clearance and would be easier to align.

I also just noticed that you said you have tried both a 1 1/8" belt and are currently running a 1 1/2" belt. The DNA kit for your make and model Sportster calls for the stock 1 1/8" belt. That is what I would run as it will give you more clearance and would be easier to align.

Not that this should make a difference but the 2003 and earlier Sportsters had a 65 tooth rear sprocket with that 1 1/2" belt.

Running a 70 tooth instead of a 65 tooth sprocket really hurts highway speed.

I take it that the belt is not rubbing against anything under the front cover and the pulley is tight ??

A bar of soap will also do the trick.

Sportster dna trike kit belt noise.

Thanks to everyone for their insights on this problem. I appreciate all your suggestions. I also believe alignment is the main issue. I will go back & start my realignment process.

Thanks again to everyone.

Angelo

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png