New Trike Registration/Smogging

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a New Trike, Maybe a V8 Trike.

Since it will be a NEW 2011 trike, (maybe with a older motor 1970-1990 era) what are the Problems with Registration of a new 2011 V8 Trike.

What are the problems with Smoging it to get it registered.

Do they go by the Engine Block number in the trike and then impose requirements based on that?

I realize that it would vary from State to State and even county to county.

Please Provide what state you have registered your trike in, to give an Idea of whats required for that state.

Thanks for providing some detailed information

Westgl

Westgl,
While some BMV workers seem to like making things difficult, they can’t halt automobile and motorcycle commerce. We make our Cheetah exhaust and we can equip it with catalytic converters, if needed, but not doing it is preferable, if not required by law. Currently, there is very little smog testing required on motorcycles, except in some of the very densely populated municipalities. Smog testing mostly aplies to the cars. Don’t think they can stop you from getting what you want, they just want to charge the fees for your plate and registration every year, which helps fund their payroll.
Knock on wood, I've never had a customer denied registration of their Cheetah.
I’ll send you anything I can find about Oregon specific.
I hope this eases your concerns.

No requirements for motorcycles are listed on the Oregon gov website.

Vehicles that must be smog tested.
In the Portland area:
All 1975 and newer cars, trucks, vans, motor homes and buses powered by gasoline, alternative fuels (such as propane) or hybrids registered within the DEQ Portland area boundaries
All 1975 and newer diesel powered vehicles with a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less (This includes all passenger cars and most light-duty trucks) registered within the DEQ Portland area boundaries.
In the Medford area:
All cars, trucks, vans, motor homes and buses powered by gasoline, alternative fuels (such as propane) or hybrids 20 years old or less and registered within the DEQ Medford area boundaries
All diesel powered vehicles 20 years old or less with a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less (This includes all passenger cars and most light-duty trucks) registered within the DEQ Medford area boundaries. This includes all passenger cars and most light-duty trucks.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was thinking about getting a New Trike, Maybe a V8 Trike.

Since it will be a NEW 2011 trike, (maybe with a older motor 1970-1990 era) what are the Problems with Registration of a new 2011 V8 Trike.

What are the problems with Smoging it to get it registered.

Do they go by the Engine Block number in the trike and then impose requirements based on that?

I realize that it would vary from State to State and even county to county.

Please Provide what state you have registered your trike in, to give an Idea of whats required for that state.

Thanks for providing some detailed information

Westgl

Florida no smog testing. If it was built in 2011 and has a manufactors certificate of orgin it would be titled a 2011. If you built it yourself then it would depend if you have a title for the base vehicle or you were doing a complete home built if your state allows it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png