Try this for MT Airbag Leakdown

dawingrider

250+ Posts
Dec 4, 2014
Titus, AL
I have an '06 1800 with an '08 solid axle Motor Trike conversion. For the longest time, I've had a slow leak that would deplete my airbags over a period of several days. I did the soap test on the lines and connections without finding the culprit. Figured I would just have to live with it until last Saturday I noticed the rear end was sagging and figured I'd air it up even though I wasn't going for a ride (DANG THIS QUARANTINE!).

To my surprise it wouldn't take air. After closer inspection I found the valve core stem was moving around. I thought, "now this is a first!" as I've never had a schrader valve issue on any vehicle. So I purchased this valve core kit from Advance for 4 bucks and here we are 3 days after replacement and NO LEAKDOWN! Guess I didn't think to soap test the valve :facepalm:. Moral of the story...Check EVERYTHING! Hopefully this will help someone.

Valve Stem Repair.jpg

Great "reminder" to check the obvious things.

Reminded me though, back in the '80s, the early '80s, year of the 1982 World's Fair actually. Work buddy of mine invited "Wife Unit" and I to go with he and his wife to visit the fair and some other attractions like "Ruby Falls", ""Lost Sea", "Rock City", and some other "Southern Highland Attractions" … he was pulling a heavy late '60s Layton travel trailer with a '66 Buick Skylark Station Wagon, one that had glass in the roof, 2 speed automatic, a underpowered towcar for sure.

Had a load equalizer hitch but he also had Delco Pleasure-Lift Air Shocks. It was OK on the flats, speed limit was 55. Anyway, the way he hooked up was pump the shocks full, hook the trailer, then the big spring like bars, drop the hitch jack, it would sit level. Day before we leave, air shocks leaking so can't hook up, so he puts spray in tire sealer in the air line … those shocks had bladders like Gabriel Hi-Jackers. He pumped them up, it held, he never did get new shocks, the SW is parked today in the woods behind his house. True story. Even drug that heavy trailer with that poor Buick up to "Chimney Rock".

After closer inspection I found the valve core stem was moving around. I thought, "now this is a first!" as I've never had a schrader valve issue on any vehicle. View attachment 85861

You still have schrader valve, i have the electric pump, and added the digital display. you may want to go that route.

I got it because one day the air pump switch decided that it was going to stick CLOSED/ON almost blew the bags...

Went with the digital gauges.

Great "reminder" to check the obvious things.

Reminded me though, back in the '80s, the early '80s, year of the 1982 World's Fair actually. Work buddy of mine invited "Wife Unit" and I to go with he and his wife to visit the fair and some other attractions like "Ruby Falls", ""Lost Sea", "Rock City", and some other "Southern Highland Attractions" … he was pulling a heavy late '60s Layton travel trailer with a '66 Buick Skylark Station Wagon, one that had glass in the roof, 2 speed automatic, a underpowered towcar for sure. Had a load equalizer hitch but he also had Delco Pleasure-Lift Air Shocks. It was OK on the flats, speed limit was 55. Anyway, the way he hooked up was pump the shocks full, hook the trailer, then the big spring like bars, drop the hitch jack, it would sit level. Day before we leave, air shocks leaking so can't hook up, so he puts spray in tire sealer in the air line … those shocks had bladders like Gabriel Hi-Jackers. He pumped them up, it held, he never did get new shocks, the SW is parked today in the woods behind his house. True story. Even drug that heavy trailer with that poor Buick up to "Chimney Rock".

Is this "spray in tire sealer" something like that Fix-A-Flat type stuff or something entirely different?

Not that I want to try it. Just curious.

I've fixed my leaking air shocks by putting plumbers type of sealant on every single connection. 3 years and still holding except for what got out when I checked pressure. And that was generally 2 pounds so I'd have to add every time I checked until I added a FOBO sensor so now check with a phone app. Much much better. Went a full year before needing a top off.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png