Cold night at the 46

Well, I'll tell this one, but I'll have to leave some details out. Was back in mid '80s, I was working midnight shift, it was winter, it was extremely cold this night, I mean near 0 degrees cold, maybe sub zero.. I was committed to staying in that '82 Plymouth and keeping the heat on high.

We have just about exactly 100 miles of Interstate in this county time you check both N-S Interstate and make a pass out the E-W Interstate . Speed limit then was 55, so there's 1 hour 40 minutes just riding, say 2 hours time you checked our one rest area too. No need to be in a hurry, it's too easy to hit a deer. I could get a hot cup at 4 exits on N-S Interstate , or another exit on E-W Interstate if near N-S Interstate . Traffic was very light on N-S Interstate and almost non existant on E-W Interstate in those days.

2AM ... I'm traveling west on E-W Interstate , starting up a long up the mountain section, dang it, thered's a 10-46 (disabled motorist) there near the 46 mile post on the west side on the shoulder, flashers going. It was a AMC Gremlin that was broke down. I pull up behind it, turn on my emergency lights, get out, damn it's COLD. I walk up, wind ripping at my stinging ears, my colar turned up but of little help. By time I got to the car door, I was starting to shiver I think.

Guy was sitting in his car, men's magazines open in the seat & pass floor, he was really "self absorbed". No way I was gonna deal with this ... not on this night, it was just too darn cold. Like I said, it might have been in the negative numbers on the thermometer. I just turned around and walked back to my car, got in, sat there a few minutes to see if he'd notice a car with a revolving light on top sitting behind him, but NO, he didn't, then I decided that if he just stopped for this ... on this cold night … I should write the ticket, but it was too cold ... and so I pulled out and went on west and finished my pass on E-W Interstate.

After making a pass to the county line, when I got back to N-S Interstate I got a large hot coffee and filled my thermos, got on N-S Interstate , made the whole loop south, went to the area office, did some paperwork, left my car running to stay warm, gassed up, left office, got another cup at the exit before getting back on N-S Interstate , drove all the way up at the north county line, drove back south to the rest area, checked it, maybe corrected some parking, drove to E-W Interstate west again, stopped for more hot coffee, then I headed west on E-W Interstate towards the top of North Mtn. … again.

By now, it was nearing sun-up, soon I could go home where I knew it'd be warm. I could see a new day dawning back to my east as the first rays of sun shown over the Blue Ridge behind me, but "Dang It" again, there was that broke down Gremilin still there at the 46 mm, no flashers now, windows covered with ice ... on the inside. I stopped, got out and tried to see in, scraped glass, alas, iced over inside. Then I seen the finger nails scraping ice off inside, guy still alive, but he had ice in his mustache under his nose. He opened the door, no magazines in view now.

I felt sorry for him, he was one cold human being. I let him come back to my car and sit in the warm heat, I even poured him some of the still hot coffee from my thermos (a old Stanley, it keeps it hot). When he could talk with out his teeth chettering, he asked me "I thought you guys checked on people, where you been?" I told him we did, that I stopped to check on him hours earlier but that he was so distracted and seemed OK then ... he just said a quiet "Oh" and rolled his eyes.

He never saw me at 2AM!

He survived

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png