Battery Status & Replacement

Apr 11, 2010
HSV, AR
Is there any reliable way to estimate how much longer your battery will last? I ride my bike year round and just went for a good ride yesterday. I have no idea how old the battery is as I bought this 06 Wing last year.

I just checked and the voltage at the battery is 12.5 with nothing on. When I turn the key to ACC (radio on) it goes to 11.97 and holds there. The bike still starts fine, but I really don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Other than removing the battery and taking it in to a shop for testing, is there any other indicator you can use to reasonably gauge the battery status?

This is like asking about oil :D I just replaced my battery but I replace mine about every 3 to 4 years anyway... It is cheaper than getting out and it not cranking... I keep mine on a battery tender during the winter and if I know I am not going to ride for some time..
It is a judgement call on ur behalf.. my luck with batteries is when they decide to go they just quit.. no warning just no crank :Shrug:

I went with the Interstate Megatron plus, but there are a lot of good ones out there.. I have to have the sealed batteries..

good luck..

you might take your battery to a local shop that has a load tester.

The battery needs to be at full charge prior to test for best results.

If it passes load testing you should be good to go. Test again at some other point.

Our load tester has green yellow and red bands and you can see when a battery is on the down hill slide.

Chuck

Guess since I'm nor sure that the battery is starting to fail or not, but am sure that I don't want it to fail out on the road, I've ordered one of the new Shorai lithium batteries. That should be the last battery I need to buy for this bike. In case you haven't heard of them, this is from the WingStuff.com site.

Shorai Gold Wing Batteries are a groundbreaking, non-acid lithium based Honda Gold Wing motorcycle battery lasts two to four times longer than standard acid batteries. Besides more power, longer lasting, this Gold Wing battery can hold a charge for up to a year with no charging. Features a 2-year limited warranty.

Shorai Gold Wing batteries offer a huge weight reduction (1/4 to 1/5 standard lead-acid battery weight!). Shorai Gold Wing batteries significantly outlast any traditional lead acid battery. Shorai Gold Wing batteries hold a charge for up to one year without any maintenance.

And $ wise are they 4 to 5 times more expensive too? I have 2 more years on my battery but that sounds like what I need . I am going to wingstuff and check it out now

For checking the life left in a battery, voltage and starting preformance I got a Battery Bug by Argus.
BB-SBM12-PS Battery Bug Battery Monitor :: Argus Analyzers

Sounded like so much voodoo to me, but a few friends have them, and said they work. I got one from Air Rider at a rally, some on the web are cheaper, but you've got to watch the shipping cost. They are around $40 - $45.
Found out it really worked. I mounted mine so I could see the voltmeter - just above the radio on the GL1500. Some mount under covers, it gives a tone if there is trouble. Here is a review from Wing World on the Argus site:
WINGWORLD MAGAZINE - The Most Frequently Asked Battery Question - and an Answer from Battery Bug

Just enter Battery Bug into your search bar and check it out.
Not connected to Argus, any seller or vendor of the thing, just a satisfied customer.

Problem with the lithium Got to U tube and put in Lithium Ion battery fire. If the battery develops a slight crack and it even sweats or gets damp it can burst into flames.

[video=metacafe;293625/laptop_battery_fire/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/293625/laptop_battery_fire/[/video]

Problem with the lithium Got to U tube and put in Lithium Ion battery fire. If the battery develops a slight crack and it even sweats or gets damp it can burst into flames.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but these are "lithium based" and not listed as "lithium ion", which is the type that are having problems with fires if they crack or are damaged.

All the reviews I read about the Shoari batteries are extremely positive about power provided and life span. WingStuff gives them a great rating as well.

12.5V without the bike running isn't bad (12.7V would be better) and the slight drop with the accessory turned on is normal. As long as it drops slightly but holds steady, it's a fair indicator that your battery is holding charge.

If one has a traditional lead acid battery that can be serviced, it's good to check the fluid levels regularly and keep the levels up to snuff, which can extend the life of the battery.

Before installation, it's a good idea to charge the new battery on a trickle charger........a fully charged battery can actually read 13.5V once removed from the charger. The voltage may drop prior to installation, but if it's reading at least 12.7V or in that area after installation, you're good to go.

Important thing to keep in mind (and I learned this the hard way): After installing a new battery, fire-up the bike and using a multimeter set on 20VDC, touch the leads on the battery terminals while the bike is idling. The voltage should jump up to around 13.7v at idle. Say, for example, if the voltage is reading 13.73V and fluctuates by a point going from 13.73V to 13.74V, then back 'n forth between these 2 readings, it's a good indicator that your voltage regulator is working properly and that the battery is receiving the needed charge replenishment.

Had installed a brand new battery, forgot to do this check and ended up toasting the new battery on the first good run. Got another new battery, did the voltage check at idle and the numbers were all over the chart........13.73V....13.46V.......12.78V.......13.80V.......12.67V......the voltage regulator was bad, which is what toasted the first new battery. Turned off the bike immediately, got a new voltage regulator, installed it, did the idle voltage check and the numbers were consistently holding between 2-3 points. Good to go.......

12.5V without the bike running isn't bad (12.7V would be better) and the slight drop with the accessory turned on is normal. As long as it drops slightly but holds steady, it's a fair indicator that your battery is holding charge.

If one has a traditional lead acid battery that can be serviced, it's good to check the fluid levels regularly and keep the levels up to snuff, which can extend the life of the battery.

Before installation, it's a good idea to charge the new battery on a trickle charger........a fully charged battery can actually read 13.5V once removed from the charger. The voltage may drop prior to installation, but if it's reading at least 12.7V or in that area after installation, you're good to go.

Important thing to keep in mind (and I learned this the hard way): After installing a new battery, fire-up the bike and using a multimeter set on 20VDC, touch the leads on the battery terminals while the bike is idling. The voltage should jump up to around 13.7v at idle. Say, for example, if the voltage is reading 13.73V and fluctuates by a point going from 13.73V to 13.74V, then back 'n forth between these 2 readings, it's a good indicator that your voltage regulator is working properly and that the battery is receiving the needed charge replenishment.

Had installed a brand new battery, forgot to do this check and ended up toasting the new battery on the first good run. Got another new battery, did the voltage check at idle and the numbers were all over the chart........13.73V....13.46V.......12.78V.......13.80V.......12.67V......the voltage regulator was bad, which is what toasted the first new battery. Turned off the bike immediately, got a new voltage regulator, installed it, did the idle voltage check and the numbers were consistently holding between 2-3 points. Good to go.......
Thanks Ol' Grey. Really good information to have.ThumbUp

Same battery you say Patato I say Potato Tomato Tamato same thing,Crack moisture (even humidity ) and you got yourself a Hot bike with real live flames

Same battery you say Patato I say Potato Tomato Tamato same thing,Crack moisture (even humidity ) and you got yourself a Hot bike with real live flames

Actually John, in this case there is a difference between Patato & Potato. ;)

The batteries you are referring to are Lithium ION and these are Lithium IRON (as in ferrous). Completely different chemistry and properties. You might find this link interesting.

Shorai Lithium Iron battery - GL1800Riders

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png