New pro action shocks

Colleydog

150+ Posts
Feb 27, 2018
Kingsport, tn. Usa
Just ordered my 14” pro action shocks and new comfort lift kit along with floorboard extensions. Messaged Kevin from dk before I ordered them and because of the rona they are on back order but don’t think they will be for long. Will have my old comfort lift for sale if anyone needs one, my question to people that already have these shocks, should I tackle myself or take to the dealer, not afraid to wrench but don’t do anything terribly complicated, more worried about getting access underneath. What do you all think?

Just ordered my 14” pro action shocks and new comfort lift kit along with floorboard extensions. Messaged Kevin from dk before I ordered them and because of the rona they are on back order but don’t think they will be for long. Will have my old comfort lift for sale if anyone needs one, my question to people that already have these shocks, should I tackle myself or take to the dealer, not afraid to wrench but don’t do anything terribly complicated, more worried about getting access underneath. What do you all think?
It can be done with the body on it is time consuming I prefer to take off the body. With a bike jack under the front and small trolley jack under the back it should not be that hard. Once jacked up place stands on the rails under the trunk, that will give you more room to work. I would take off the wheels and follow the instructions. Good luck it should go well, either way. Ride safe FredDSC01531.JPGDSC01527.JPGDSC01563.JPG

Fuzzy just did his...twice...bet you he could give you some input.

Also, below I'll post a video of an install.

And here is a LINK to the PDF of the instructions for the shocks, and a LINK to the PDF instructions of the Lift Kit.

The video shows us doing it from underneath, with the body on. It is not complicated, just a little tight in places...the hardest part for me is getting back up off the ground! lol

If you have someone that can help you remove the body, and put it back on, it is a far easier job once the body is off.

I think Jerry (ultrafxr) just did his a while back having removed the body...so did Fearless. They can give you some input on that.

Kevin

Yes Kevin I did remove the body for the install on my 2020 TG. Now on my 2018 TG I did not remove the body . . . but it had the older style air shocks and it is very easy to remove the air line from the shock and then it is free to come off. Only difficulty is reaching up under the fender to get a wrench on the upper shock bolt. If you do it this way be sure to get a 3/4" box end ratcheting wrench which will make it much easier for the top bolt.

Now my 2020 has the newer style adjustable hydraulic shocks (the 2019 models do also) and it seemed to me to be very difficult to remove them with the hydraulic lines and adjuster attached with the body on . . . and I did not want to cut the lines. So I removed the body with the assistance of my wife. Take the tour pak off first as the tour pak itself is fairly heavy. With the body removed it was a piece of cake to remove the oem shocks and install the 14" Pro-Action and lift kit. I got my daughter to help us put the body back on simply because I thought we might have to hold the body in the air a bit in order to see where to set it down and get it in place. Hardest part of removal and re-installation of the body is getting to the bolts inside the trunk. My old body doesn't want to bend and contort like it used to, lol.

In any case good luck and send me an email if I can help in any way - harleyjerry@att.net

So i see 4 mounting tabs for the body at the rear are there two under the seat?

There are two in the trunk up high on the front wall. The one on the left is a ground strap and a stud bolt that needs to come out and the right side is cap screw bolt also. On each side there a is a Alan head bolt mine are silver colored on tabs above the foot rest they also need to come out. I did not find the body and tourpak overly heavy to remove in one piece. Be sure you unplug all wires and disconnect antennas. Which means emptying tourpak and removing liner. When going back together be sure to properly torque the bolts on body as per specs. Prevent loose grounding and squeaking. Good luck. Any issues PM me and I will do what I can to help wrench safely FredDSC01534.JPGDSC01537.JPGDSC01535.JPG

I agree Fred . . . it's not all that heavy but with the Covid-19 lockdown I didn't want to ask any of my buddies and while my wife is fully capable (and marginally willing, lol) I don't like to put her in a position where she might be overtaxed. If I had a buddy helping then the two of us could have handled it with the tour pak on no doubt but never having done it before I didn't know what to expect.

I agree Fred . . . it's not all that heavy but with the Covid-19 lockdown I didn't want to ask any of my buddies and while my wife is fully capable (and marginally willing, lol) I don't like to put her in a position where she might be overtaxed. If I had a buddy helping then the two of us could have handled it with the tour pak on no doubt but never having done it before I didn't know what to expect.

Sorry I didn't mean any disrespect

Thanks guys,i am planning on Pro Action shocks this coming winter and i will remove the body to install.
When you do don't be surprised at the amount of road grime under there. I would look at everything Panhard rod ends if they are rusty looking and loose swap them out, if they are tight lube them. Also check brake lining, Drive belt alignment and a good general cleaning of course Shiney was old when I did it he first time. Give the back side of the wheels a good cleaning a splash with clearcoat. I found a few spots where the powdercoating failed and I needed to address them as well. Ride safe Fred

P.S. As you can see these photos are pre Pro Action upgrade mileage was around 26,500

DSC01096.JPGDSC01103.JPGDSC01104.JPGDSC01108.JPGDSC01122.JPGDSC01139.JPGDSC01143.JPG

Oh Fred. No worry my friend. I didn't take it that way at all. Just trying to give perspective. It's all good. No worry.
Thank you Jerry my intention there was to save work those upper bolts on the tourpak are a real pain for me. I have limited rotation in one shoulder and limited rotation in the other side wrist. Some positions I just can't do very well I circle everything I work on at least 20 times trying to get in position to do it. Thanks again. :good:Ride safe Fred

When you do don't be surprised at the amount of road grime under there. I would look at everything Panhard rod ends if they are rusty looking and loose swap them out, if they are tight lube them. Also check brake lining, Drive belt alignment and a good general cleaning of course Shiney was old when I did it he first time. Give the back side of the wheels a good cleaning a splash with clearcoat. I found a few spots where the powdercoating failed and I needed to address them as well. Ride safe Fred

P.S. As you can see these photos are pre Pro Action upgrade mileage was around 26,500

View attachment 87224View attachment 87225View attachment 87226View attachment 87227View attachment 87228View attachment 87229View attachment 87230

I will leave the wheels on at first so i can roll it out and give it a hot soapy bath then rinse with my power washer before i put it on the lift table to do the shock install and a overall inspection,once again thanks for all the advice.

I will leave the wheels on at first so i can roll it out and give it a hot soapy bath then rinse with my power washer before i put it on the lift table to do the shock install and a overall inspection,once again thanks for all the advice.
Your Welcome ThumbUp

Put mine on just before riding from PA to Daytona Bike week. OMG could not imagine doing that without these. Was going to have Legends installed there, but got to reading here and called DK. So glad I did.

Actually because of a health problem, my son had them on my 2019 without removing the body in about an hour. Just followed the instructions. Pretty easy, well it looked it anyway. :D:D

Put mine on just before riding from PA to Daytona Bike week. OMG could not imagine doing that without these. Was going to have Legends installed there, but got to reading here and called DK. So glad I did.

Actually because of a health problem, my son had them on my 2019 without removing the body in about an hour. Just followed the instructions. Pretty easy, well it looked it anyway. :D:D
Those Pro Actions sure are sweet I Can't imagine being without them now sure make a different

ride for sure. If you really want an eye opener upgrade the front forks with Pro Action fork kit Georges springs and new valves he has developed make a sports trike out of a wishy washy ride. :good:travel safe Fred

DSC01655.JPGDSC01640.JPG

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry Martin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry Martin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png