GL1200 drive shaft help

My dad turned 80 and decided he had to have a trike. Thats the good part. The bad is he brought home a 1200 interstate with MotorTrike conversion. (read old and outdated) but I have been working my way through it one rebuild kit after another. But, I had a low continuous banging noise after shifting into 5th gear. I thought I would pull the drive shaft to isolate the noise. Turns out the middle splined shaft has been twisted.

What I need help with is this. Motor Trike is saying that they can no longer obtain a splined shaft. Does anyone know of a replacement shaft that I can modify that has matching splines for a honda yoke?

Thanks for any help out there...

Just suggestion, you might try a machine shop/welding fab shop that can make a new driveshaft. I know that they do custom work on shafts for big trucks when you change frame drive line lengths.

Thanks Wingking51,

Motortrike hooked me up with the machine shop that made these shafts back in the day. $130.00 bucks later we have a shaft.

Although we needed a drive shaft. The 5th gear noise is still there. I think we have a transmission issue now..

Last edited:
some of the older motortrike kits the drive shaft was off set to far and it would knock out the barring in the back of the moter chas

Sorry but it sounds like he bought a pig in a poke.
Unless you Unless you can do the work your self or have a indepent honda mehcanic work on it,it might cost more to fix it then it is worth.
:gah::gah::gah::gah::gah:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png