On my 2015 Freewheeler I have added the following to cool it down:

- Mighty Mite Love Jugs

- DK Customs tank lift

- DK Customs wind deflectors

- DK Customs remote oil filter kit and re-useable oil filter

- DK Customs high flow air filter and external breather

- Cobra 909 slip-on mufflers

- Power Vision tuner

Also have JES fork fangs which do not help with cooling but I thought most likely would hinder air flow.

A couple of days ago I made a 75 mile lunch run. Ambient air temp was 91 deg. I was running 60 MPH in 5th gear. The engine temp stayed around 250 deg. for a long time but finally maxed out at 257 deg. according to the Power Vision. When I got home the oil temp was 243 deg. according to the JES dipstick gauge.

Today I took the JES fork fangs off and made a 50 mile lunch run to see if the bike ran any cooler. Ambient air temp was 90 deg. Along the same stretch of road running 60 MPH in 5th gear the engine temp maxed out at 253 deg. When I got home the oil temp was 243 deg.

I thought removing the fork fangs would make a significant difference but it did not. I know this was not a very scientific test but I thought the results were interesting. I now have a lot more wind buffeting so I will put the fangs back on.

I would like to get the temps a little lower but the only other thing I can think of to do is add a supplemental oil cooler. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Sunman

- Mighty Mite Love Jugs

- DK Customs tank lift

- Power Vision tuner

Also have JES fork fangs which do not help with cooling but I thought most likely would hinder air flow.

A couple of days ago I made a 75 mile lunch run. Ambient air temp was 91 deg. I was running 60 MPH in 5th gear. The engine temp stayed around 250 deg. for a long time but finally maxed out at 257 deg. according to the Power Vision. When I got home the oil temp was 243 deg. according to the JES dipstick gauge.

Today I took the JES fork fangs off and made a 50 mile lunch run to see if the bike ran any cooler. Ambient air temp was 90 deg. Along the same stretch of road running 60 MPH in 5th gear the engine temp maxed out at 253 deg. When I got home the oil temp was 243 deg.

I thought removing the fork fangs would make a significant difference but it did not. I know this was not a very scientific test but I thought the results were interesting. I now have a lot more wind buffeting so I will put the fangs back on.

I would like to get the temps a little lower but the only other thing I can think of to do is add a supplemental oil cooler. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Sunman

Have you done any autotunes with Power Vision to get it to your riding style? Secondly, may talk to fuelmoto about a different tune. Yesterday in 97 degree weather running 70 mph my engine was only running 212-214 degrees.

Have you done any autotunes with Power Vision to get it to your riding style? Secondly, may talk to fuelmoto about a different tune. Yesterday in 97 degree weather running 70 mph my engine was only running 212-214 degrees.

Thanks for the reply Pat. I have not done an auto tune but I think I am going to try that this week, and call fuelmoto.

Sunman

Auto tuning will help a lot ... Also, the remote oil cooler is not a bad idea either ... the other day I did a run about 60 miles, lots of 75 mph and my engine temp hung around 207 ... can't tell the oil temp, my 13 year old digital finally bit the farm ... changed the battery and it's still not working.

- Mighty Mite Love Jugs

- DK Customs tank lift

- Power Vision tuner

Sunman

Thank you very much for this information. I have been wondering if I should take mine off, but I do remember how much they help with the wind buffeting. This is scientific enough for me.

- Mighty Mite Love Jugs

- DK Customs tank lift

- Power Vision tuner

Sunman

Remember on the twin cam motors, you can get a larger oil pan & add another quart of oil to help dissapate the heat. The fan cooled oil cooler on the M8 does help, in my opinion.

Remember on the twin cam motors, you can get a larger oil pan & add another quart of oil to help dissapate the heat. The fan cooled oil cooler on the M8 does help, in my opinion.

Thanks. I forgot about the larger oil pan; I may need to check into one or a different oil cooler.

Sunman

- Mighty Mite Love Jugs

- DK Customs tank lift

- Power Vision tuner

Sunman

Danny, when I return home, I will let you know for sure. Here is what I have so far. Hd oil & filter. 90* 2000 mileage, oil filter 211 frt cyl 225 rear 250

Liqui Moly oil K&N filter 100 * 4800 mileage oil filter 170 frtcyl 176 rear 189 10w60

Miles is total on bike Do some searching on the oil. . I have been reading on it for some time & liked what I saw. Very reasonable on Amazon & I understand some Wally Worlds sell it in store. O yeah I no longer have the Love Jugs on. LOL ,let the flaming begin

I recently changed oil on my 17 Freewheeler using the NEW longer HD filter

The first thing I found is I can now run 4 1/2 quarts of oil with the longer filter while keeping the oil level on the stick 1/2 way in the cross hatched area. Also according to my PV gauge my ET is down another 20 degrees. So far so good with the new improved M8 filter. I will keep a close eye and ear on this over the next 2-3 K miles;)

Today I went for a lunch ride. Did two 20 mile auto tune runs with the new tune suggested by Dynojet (they recommend three, 20 mile auto tune runs). Ambient temp was 98+ deg. so I forgot the third run. Felt like I was melting so I finished up at home and sat in the AC. When I walked in the house the thermometer on back porch said 106. Will do third run when I get a chance and then make a long ride and see what ET and Oil temps top out at.

May have to order some Liquid Moly Oil!

Sunman

I recently changed oil on my 17 Freewheeler using the NEW longer HD filter

The first thing I found is I can now run 4 1/2 quarts of oil with the longer filter while keeping the oil level on the stick 1/2 way in the cross hatched area. Also according to my PV gauge my ET is down another 20 degrees. So far so good with the new improved M8 filter. I will keep a close eye and ear on this over the next 2-3 K miles;)

I was at a dealer saturday they had 30 of them on the shelf, I bought two put one on last night , put 365miles on today , it seems to run cooler on p v , oil pressure is about 8 pounds higher . I had one of them that you take apart and clean I just dont think they filter out enough of the crap ?

Update on ET and Oil Temps

Since I first posted this thread I have now added an aux oil cooler and completed auto tune runs on the new tune received from DynoJet. Did an 85 mile lunch run yesterday, ambient temps were some where in the upper nineties on the way home (a 30 miles run to the house). ET hit 257 oil temp maxed out at 230 which is about a 10 - 15 degree improvement after adding the aux oil cooler. These temps are still high compared to what I have seen most other people post on the forum although some have wet heads instead of straight air cooled motors so I assume that might account for some of their lower temps. This is what I have done:

- DK Customs deluxe tank lift kit

- Mighty Mite fans

- Cobra slip-on mufflers

- DK Customs Hi-flo air cleaner

- DK Customs remote oil filter kit

- De-catted head pipe

- DK Customs external breather kit

- Power Vision tuner with new DynoJet stage 1 tune and multiple auto tune runs

- DK Customs air deflectors

I am done throwing time and money at it. It is what it is. None of my previous Harleys ever ran this hot (2005 and earlier). I still have my old 1979 Shovelhead and the oil temp on it never goes over 185 deg. I am going to ride it and if it blows up I will just buy a Can Am.

Rant over. :mad:

Sunman

Since I first posted this thread I have now added an aux oil cooler and completed auto tune runs on the new tune received from DynoJet. Did an 85 mile lunch run yesterday, ambient temps were some where in the upper nineties on the way home (a 30 miles run to the house). ET hit 257 oil temp maxed out at 230 which is about a 10 - 15 degree improvement after adding the aux oil cooler. These temps are still high compared to what I have seen most other people post on the forum although some have wet heads instead of straight air cooled motors so I assume that might account for some of their lower temps. This is what I have done:

- DK Customs deluxe tank lift kit

- Mighty Mite fans

- Cobra slip-on mufflers

- DK Customs Hi-flo air cleaner

- DK Customs remote oil filter kit

- De-catted head pipe

- DK Customs external breather kit

- Power Vision tuner with new DynoJet stage 1 tune and multiple auto tune runs

- DK Customs air deflectors

I am done throwing time and money at it. It is what it is. None of my previous Harleys ever ran this hot (2005 and earlier). I still have my old 1979 Shovelhead and the oil temp on it never goes over 185 deg. I am going to ride it and if it blows up I will just buy a Can Am.

Rant over. :mad:

Sunman

AMEN Same hear :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: MDO
new temps Danny. 295 mile ride today , mostly 2 lane & several towns,stop & go. Trike now has 7755 miles. temp was 91* oil filter 211 frt cyl 225 rear 250. No addons to Trike. Just K&N filter & Liqui Moly 10w 60. Oil changed last week. LM again. I will stay with this oil. Talked to K&N & as of right now they do not have a filter comparable to the new M8 filter from HD.

new temps Danny. 295 mile ride today , mostly 2 lane & several towns,stop & go. Trike now has 7755 miles. temp was 91* oil filter 211 frt cyl 225 rear 250. No addons to Trike. Just K&N filter & Liqui Moly 10w 60. Oil changed last week. LM again. I will stay with this oil. Talked to K&N & as of right now they do not have a filter comparable to the new M8 filter from HD.

Thanks Bill. I ordered Liqui Moly couple of days ago. Due for an oil change so going to give it a try.

Sunman

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png