Screamin' Eagle 131 Fitment?

Jun 11, 2020
Saint Louis, MO, USA
I know the MoCo says the new 131 won't fit the Trike models. I made the mistake of calling them and sitting on hold for 30 mins just to hear "this is an unsupported configuration" after they made me give them every last piece of personal info so they could mail me more stuff. Rookie mistake ..

Hoping someone on here has had experience with the new 131 and understands the actual fitment issues. Is it a "soft" issue like voiding the warranty or EPA stuff .. or is it a major issue like the motor mounts don't match up, or there are cooling issues, drive train integration issues, etc.

I guess the FLRT feels a lot like a regular Touring bike with a different back end to me. Hard to understand why the 131 wouldn't fit .. one dealer told me it was minor and they'd do it for me on the side .. another dealer said I should just apply the stage kits up to IV. I want the 131 if I can get it ..

Thank you in advance.

:Coffee:

Mud

I know the MoCo says the new 131 won't fit the Trike models. I made the mistake of calling them and sitting on hold for 30 mins just to hear "this is an unsupported configuration" after they made me give them every last piece of personal info so they could mail me more stuff. Rookie mistake ..

Hoping someone on here has had experience with the new 131 and understands the actual fitment issues. Is it a "soft" issue like voiding the warranty or EPA stuff .. or is it a major issue like the motor mounts don't match up, or there are cooling issues, drive train integration issues, etc.

I guess the FLRT feels a lot like a regular Touring bike with a different back end to me. Hard to understand why the 131 wouldn't fit .. one dealer told me it was minor and they'd do it for me on the side .. another dealer said I should just apply the stage kits up to IV. I want the 131 if I can get it ..

Thank you in advance.

:Coffee:

Mud

I'm gonna bet its the EPA first and foremost.......And also no warranty...

You are going to hear horror stories of how the FLRT clutch and axle will not hold up to the 131. This is all non sense of course. The MOCO will tell you to do their stage kits instead. This too is non sense. If warranty is not an issue to you I say go for the 131, but be prepared to put a beefier clutch kit in too;)

I am confused, nothing new. :xzqxz: I looked at your profile to see the year of your Freewheeler. I thought the 2020 had lots more power than the 2015 that I own, so why would you want to spend the money for the 131? Is it one of those things that if I must ask I cannot understand?

If I may answer it is a man thing bigger is always better I’ve done that many times but not always successful at times😱.. Like Tim Allen in tool Time😄..

If I may answer it is a man thing bigger is always better I’ve done that many times but not always successful at times😱.. Like Tim Allen in tool Time😄..

Exactly right .. honestly it’s more for the fun of customizing and taking off in a straight line quickly. The 114 has plenty enough go to give me white knuckles in a turn. Really appreciate all the advice, especially around the clutch and drivetrain. :)

Thanks!

Exactly right .. honestly it’s more for the fun of customizing and taking off in a straight line quickly. The 114 has plenty enough go to give me white knuckles in a turn. Really appreciate all the advice, especially around the clutch and drivetrain. :)

Thanks!

I can give you some suggestions to make it run a lot better without breaking the bank, and I have done most of these to my 2017. A new air cleaner will improve performance, as well as an external breather system. I saw a marked improvement in general performance by replacing the OEM spark plug wires with Thundervolt 50 wires. All of these products are available from 1 of our awesome sponsors, DK Custom Products. I also got a tank lift kit & wing deflectors from them, which helped improve cooling & the tank lift shows off that engine & makes cleaning the covers easier.

I got a K&N air filter for the stock airbox before I knew about DK Customs air cleaners. The K&N helped alot, but their cleaners improve performance more.

Good luck.

If you look at the S&S 128 kit it produces more power in both HP and torque. It’s also thousands cheaper.

My trike is in at the moment getting an Andrews cam put in. The big bore kit is probably next in the winter.

How much extra power does an exterior breather create. It’s a small addition but many people rate doing it.

If you look at the S&S 128 kit it produces more power in both HP and torque. It’s also thousands cheaper.

My trike is in at the moment getting an Andrews cam put in. The big bore kit is probably next in the winter.

How much extra power does an exterior breather create. It’s a small addition but many people rate doing it.

The main reason behind the external breather is to keep the hot messy oil laden oil out of the intake. This will help the engine breath better and keep the carbon build up down

The reason it is stated that the 131 will not fit is the 131 kit requires a different exhaust system..... even when installing on a regular touring bike to maintain EPA compliance. I believe the cat is even bigger on the required header with the 131 kit for touring. They have not designed nor have mentioned they are going to design/manufacturer an EPA compliant exhaust for the trike set-up to accept the 131 motor and be EPA compliant will it fit, yes it will, will it covered under any warranty, no way...

We have done several 131 kits in the Tri-Glides and Freewheelers the customer just has to sign a waiver about warranty as we have to use an aftermarker tuner since the harley tuner will not support the 131 in a trike vin bike no fitment issues no mechanical issues to date hope this helps

Rick............Welcome to Trike-Talk..........:clapping:...

We have done several 131 kits in the Tri-Glides and Freewheelers the customer just has to sign a waiver about warranty as we have to use an aftermarker tuner since the harley tuner will not support the 131 in a trike vin bike no fitment issues no mechanical issues to date hope this helps

Rick good job on the post. welcome jump in whenever you can.

Thank you for the info and Welcome to Trike Talk;)

What year Tri glides and freewheelers have you put the 131 kits in ? have you done any 2020 ? What tuners do you use to tune them ? I have been waiting 7 weeks for FUEL MOTO to get me tune ? Today I called them again TRAVIS Talked to JAMIE WHO SAID IT IS TO COMPLICATED TO MAKE A TUNE FOR A 2020 TRI GLIDE with 128 kit ?? They took my MONEY and said no problem we can make a tune B U L L S H I T

What year Tri glides and freewheelers have you put the 131 kits in ? have you done any 2020 ? What tuners do you use to tune them ? I have been waiting 7 weeks for FUEL MOTO to get me tune ? Today I called them again TRAVIS Talked to JAMIE WHO SAID IT IS TO COMPLICATED TO MAKE A TUNE FOR A 2020 TRI GLIDE with 128 kit ?? They took my MONEY and said no problem we can make a tune B U L L S H I T

Hi

Did anyone ever get an answer on what years the 131 had been fitted too.

I spoke to my garage today who said it was no possibility at all, and they even recommended not going past stage 2. I think HD are so careful over what goes in their engines. Is it true however it’s to much torque for the rear to handle?

Hi

Did anyone ever get an answer on what years the 131 had been fitted too.

I spoke to my garage today who said it was no possibility at all, and they even recommended not going past stage 2. I think HD are so careful over what goes in their engines. Is it true however it’s to much torque for the rear to handle?

No he never gave a answer ? Mine ended up being 132 ftp of torque , I think the rear ends will have no problem with 140- 150 ftp of torque ? if you beat the piss out out of it doing burn out's, wheelie's and what ever ,like anything it will break, I still have not got a good tune , In the spring I have a shop called Hulten's in New York going to make a tune for it . going to do one more cam change before that , I think it will be around 140 ftp of torque ? If you want to pass a car now it has no problem , Lot's of fun to ride. But the fuel mileage Sucks .

Sorry for the late response they were done on 2019's and 2020's the tuners that we typically use is the TTS tuner and worked with TTS and they were able to get us a base map and our techs tune it from there hope this helps

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png