Gonna try asking again before I give it up!

Voyager kit on 95 goldwing tried various settings: pre-load, tire psi . Shock air psi. Rides great solo. Get the wife on the back feels like crap in the tight corners. Preloaded all the way up to 1 1/2 “. Anyone have much luck with a voyager kit riding 2up? Just can’t seem to make it an enjoyable ride. About to go for a solid axle.

preload preferance

[
I know people will say "that's TOO Much"

After having my voyager on my 1500 for quite some time now.

And pretty much ride 2 up 90% of the time, We have done some experimenting with rattles and ride "feel"

We have items that stay in in saddle bags 100% of the time,along with tools etc.

I am about 185-190 lbs (depending how often and where we stop to grab a bite)

Jeannie is not much over 100 lbs....

I have found it is all related to the preload setting.

I just removed my voyager kit to replace my rear wheel and tire and installed new progressive shocks in the rear.

I decided to go "darkside" and I love it.

But that's another thread.

I have been setting my preload by setting my bike tire on a section of 2 by 4 set on it's side.

I guess that would be about 1 3/4 inches of preload and it works perfectly for me.

The rattles are minimal and the ride is smooth and lean is reduced and feels very stable.

The only complaint I can have at this point in time is I no longer want to ride on two wheels...LOL

It definitely is great not having to hold up this very heavy GoldWing.

Someone mentioned the fact that rear wheel contact is decreased in reaction to the increase in preload.

It is relevant and requires some experimenting with your bikes total weight.

I have found my "Sweet Spot" and with the contact patch of my rear tire it all works perfectly for me.

NOTE:

If you have an "older" voyager with the "lock bar" setup, order the newer "lock Blocks" , remove the lock bar and install the blocks.

They are worth the investment.

Having to frequently reset preload is no longer required.

I hope everyone enjoys the riding season and God Bless...
QUOTE=Rugrat5288;762337]Voyager kit on 95 goldwing tried various settings: pre-load, tire psi . Shock air psi. Rides great solo. Get the wife on the back feels like crap in the tight corners. Preloaded all the way up to 1 1/2 “. Anyone have much luck with a voyager kit riding 2up? Just can’t seem to make it an enjoyable ride. About to go for a solid axle.[/QUOTE]

+1 on easy steer

however if you can't justify putting the easy steer on you can make one change that will help. you can push your fork tubes up in the trees about 1/2 inch. be careful and make sure you measure over and over to get it right before you tighten it down. also keep your rear shocks as high as you can and the ride still be good, doing this reduces the trail a little and will help. when I first installed my sidecar I was short on funds and couldn't afford the kit so after much research that is what I did. It helped a good bit, nothing like the easy steer that I eventually bought from Papa Zook here but it did help.

+1 on easy steer

however if you can't justify putting the easy steer on you can make one change that will help. you can push your fork tubes up in the trees about 1/2 inch. be careful and make sure you measure over and over to get it right before you tighten it down. also keep your rear shocks as high as you can and the ride still be good, doing this reduces the trail a little and will help. when I first installed my sidecar I was short on funds and couldn't afford the kit so after much research that is what I did. It helped a good bit, nothing like the easy steer that I eventually bought from Papa Zook here but it did help.

I dont recommend this. If you cant afford to add a rake kit just ride it as is until you can.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png