Bumpers on Pro Action shocks

Hi guys I know there is a lot of discussion about the Pro Action shocks already on here. I installed the 14” and lift kit about a 1000 miles ago and can tell a big difference from the stock ones. But still feeling the hard bumps. My question is do you have to remove the wheel to see the bumpers because I can’t see mine looking under trike with flashlight?

Bumpers

Hi guys I know there is a lot of discussion about the Pro Action shocks already on here. I installed the 14” and lift kit about a 1000 miles ago and can tell a big difference from the stock ones. But still feeling the hard bumps. My question is do you have to remove the wheel to see the bumpers because I can’t see mine looking under trike with flashlight?

Don’t know if you ride solo or 2 up ?

I ride solo but had them set up for 400lbs. I had to take 4rounds up for my weight only. Also take note that you will feel if you bottom out . Hitting sudden road divits or a pot hole will give you a false bumper reading. They can be seen from the rear under the body.

Mine is set to my comfort ride , not to the bumper location , as it will always be on the bottom from any road jolts.

+1

Frank is dead on for adjustment I did a little adjusting as well. however I needed to I purchased mine used From another member here. Those bumpers need checked as soon as you test ride for adjustment. These are the best investment so far. :good: ride safe Fred

Thanks for the reply. I still would like to know how you check the bumper. Do you remove the wheel? I can’t see any bumper on mine looking underneath. My problem is my wife sliding forward on the harsh bumps and complaining it jars her back so I’m wondering if preload needs tweaked but can’t see bumper to tell.

Thanks for the reply. I still would like to know how you check the bumper. Do you remove the wheel? I can’t see any bumper on mine looking underneath. My problem is my wife sliding forward on the harsh bumps and complaining it jars her back so I’m wondering if preload needs tweaked but can’t see bumper to tell.
Yes your preload needs turned down I would try one turn at a time. the bumpers are hard to see I checked ours with a 90 degree pick through the wheel It's a long one. Adjusting on them is certainly time consuming but well worth the time. Once you get the dialed in you will love them. If you have any questions I have no idea where you purchased them from Kevin or Pro Action direct both are great with assistance get them set up for you don't suffer give them a call. They are such a great product to have get them adjusted ASAP. Fred

I had mine installed (after talking with several others who took the lift off) 14" without a lift. Very happy with results. I don't know how much the lift kit raised the trike, but you already raised it 1 " with the shocks. We rode some very bumpy roads yesterday & wife never slid forward. Just my opinion. have not looked for the bumper yet, I have the wheel disc's on mine,so would prob have to remove the wheels to even see it.

The lift worked well with the 13" PA I had,but felt no need for the 14"

Thanks for the replies. I finally got to a place with the flashlight where I can barely see the bumper about even with the black bottom sleeve on the shock. I have to assume they are on bottom but probably have to take wheel off to be sure. Not looking forward to that may try a click on the bleed first and see how that goes. I bought the shocks off Kevin maybe he will chime in pretty soon with some ideas. Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks for the replies. I finally got to a place with the flashlight where I can barely see the bumper about even with the black bottom sleeve on the shock. I have to assume they are on bottom but probably have to take wheel off to be sure. Not looking forward to that may try a click on the bleed first and see how that goes. I bought the shocks off Kevin maybe he will chime in pretty soon with some ideas. Thanks again to everyone.

Call him it's not an issue for him he is about supporting customers and helping them he's good people. Fred

Mike, did you get the shocks from Kevin at dk?, if so did you provide him the weights and what kind of ride you wanted. I got mine from Kevin and have not felt the need to adjust them, roads are terrible around here and have never felt a jarring bump that moved my wife since I put them on, happened plenty of times with the stock air suspension, and I’m also using the comfort lift for the pro action shocks. I would suggest you call Kevin and go over the shock settings with him, he’s super helpful and DK has great customer service. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Thanks I may give Kevin a call. I just want make sure I have a problem before I bother him Wife says she don’t think it’s bottoming out but she is getting jarred and sliding forward on hard bumps. As I said I can barely see the top of the bumper on bottom of shock but can’t tell if there Is any gap under the bumper. I’m thinking I may have to pull one of wheels to see what is going on. We are in Illinois and roads are pretty rough. I know the pa shocks and lift kit made a world of difference. Just hoping maybe I can get them a little better. Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks I may give Kevin a call. I just want make sure I have a problem before I bother him Wife says she don’t think it’s bottoming out but she is getting jarred and sliding forward on hard bumps. As I said I can barely see the top of the bumper on bottom of shock but can’t tell if there Is any gap under the bumper. I’m thinking I may have to pull one of wheels to see what is going on. We are in Illinois and roads are pretty rough. I know the pa shocks and lift kit made a world of difference. Just hoping maybe I can get them a little better. Thanks again to everyone.

If the trike is not bottoming out, you probably don't need to adjust the preload. Try playing with the clicker rebound valve. I can reach mine with a long screw driver. I always keep track of where I am ... 3 right, 3 left, etc. Then before adjusting, I set them to 0 both sides, then adjust them to where I think I need to be. Pretty easy to get lost as to where you are.

I had mine installed (after talking with several others who took the lift off) 14" without a lift. Very happy with results. I don't know how much the lift kit raised the trike, but you already raised it 1 " with the shocks. We rode some very bumpy roads yesterday & wife never slid forward. Just my opinion. have not looked for the bumper yet, I have the wheel disc's on mine,so would prob have to remove the wheels to even see it.

The lift worked well with the 13" PA I had,but felt no need for the 14"

Are you saying you installed the 14 inch pa shocks without the lift from DK, just mounted shocks to regular mounts, if yes I guess the lift with these 14 inch shocks just gives you 2 points of bolting up. I have the lift from Kevin but haven't installed it yet and was thinking of the 13 inch shocks but Kevin said I would get a better ride with the 14 inch and the 14 inch shocks won't work with the lift I have since that would be 2 inches in lift. I know you had the lift and 13 inch on your other trike and you sold it to Fearless, sounds like Fearless is liking the ride with the 13 inch and lift. I'm sort of caught weather to buy the shocks and lift or stay the way I am, I don't put a lot of miles per year so that is quite a bit of money to put out for no more than I ride, once I get out of this town with bad streets and get on highway or interstate then its not to bad, just wish Iowa would fix the highways and interstates better.

All for now Trampas

Are you saying you installed the 14 inch pa shocks without the lift from DK, just mounted shocks to regular mounts, if yes I guess the lift with these 14 inch shocks just gives you 2 points of bolting up. I have the lift from Kevin but haven't installed it yet and was thinking of the 13 inch shocks but Kevin said I would get a better ride with the 14 inch and the 14 inch shocks won't work with the lift I have since that would be 2 inches in lift. I know you had the lift and 13 inch on your other trike and you sold it to Fearless, sounds like Fearless is liking the ride with the 13 inch and lift. I'm sort of caught weather to buy the shocks and lift or stay the way I am, I don't put a lot of miles per year so that is quite a bit of money to put out for no more than I ride, once I get out of this town with bad streets and get on highway or interstate then its not to bad, just wish Iowa would fix the highways and interstates better.

All for now Trampas

Exactly, no lift & rides GREAT. I had the PA front tubes & valves done also. I dont think HD has ever had a good susp since the old Duo Glide. lol I know for the last 30 yrs every new HD the first improve has been suspension. Worx Susp., Ohlin, Progressive, & a couple I have forgot. PA is by FAR the best ever. Yesterday coming home from a ride,we came down a road that was always 40-45 mph at best. Yesterday 55-60 & great. I do not have a lift on the 14" . Talked to a few others who took off the lift after having it on a while & were happy. I may be wrong but, it is already lifting an inch from stock. Another on here did both & complained his wife kept sliding forward . :Shrug::Shrug: We went on some very bumpy roads & my wife never slid forward. JMHO. best of luck

Exactly, no lift & rides GREAT. I had the PA front tubes & valves done also. I dont think HD has ever had a good susp since the old Duo Glide. lol I know for the last 30 yrs every new HD the first improve has been suspension. Worx Susp., Ohlin, Progressive, & a couple I have forgot. PA is by FAR the best ever. Yesterday coming home from a ride,we came down a road that was always 40-45 mph at best. Yesterday 55-60 & great. I do not have a lift on the 14" . Talked to a few others who took off the lift after having it on a while & were happy. I may be wrong but, it is already lifting an inch from stock. Another on here did both & complained his wife kept sliding forward . :Shrug::Shrug: We went on some very bumpy roads & my wife never slid forward. JMHO. best of luck
I see you like the springs and valves from Beaverfalls PA. thought you would and at a price a retired person can afford LOL... I feel like Old Shiney is a Sports Trike it handles so well, I never dreamed it would be so nice. Ride safe Fred

Your tri glide is 2020 and you installed the 14" shocks with no lift ? Bolted on no problem ?

Kevin has extensively tested the pro action shocks with comfort lift to give the best ride, have mine on and love it. Not sure what you would gain by taking the comfort lift off. I would suggest the combo kit and if you don’t like it take the lift off, but it was like the difference between night and day, I love mine.

I have the 14” shocks and lift from DK. I don’t think I want to take the lift off the ride is so much improved over the stock. I think I need to play around with the clicker and see if I can Improve it a little more. Thanks so much for replies this is a great site for information

I have the 14” shocks and lift from DK. I don’t think I want to take the lift off the ride is so much improved over the stock. I think I need to play around with the clicker and see if I can Improve it a little more. Thanks so much for replies this is a great site for information

Have you tried adjusting the rear tire pressure? I didn't see any mention of tire pressure in the thread.

I was running 24 in the tires dropped to 22after reading most people are running 20 to 22. Going out Wednesday for a ride and will see how it goes. I think I will adjust the clicker to 4 also. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png