Forward Controls?

Feb 25, 2011
Ruston, La USA
Has anyone used forward controls for the rear brakes and clutch on a VW based trike? Would the master cylinder be able to push enough fluid for the drum brakes to function? Or maybe if I went to a disc conversion on the rear?

Also, what about setting up the clutch on the LH forward control? I'm not sure if the ratio would allow for enough pull for the clutch to function properly.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? I would really like to set this thing up with forward controls if possible, but would like to be able to buy a complete aftermarket setup rather than having to build a complete system from the ground up. Thanks in advance!

they will function, But............I have the harley master cyl on mine and it is "quick" to apply the rear brakes...best to use the proper bore size master cyl whether it be 5/8 or 3/4 depends on what you have for rear brakes. but it is best to keep them matched up for proper function. same for clutch if you use a slave cyl. match them up for proper use.

Thanks guys... I spent some time yesterday "playing around" with the swing pedals that are already on the bike and I think I'm just going to keep that same style setup. When I replace the frame I can change the foot peg style and location a bit and relocate the swing pedals so that I feel comfortable on the bike. I will go to with slave cylinder setup for the clutch and do away with the cable it has now.

BTW.. thanks for the link to Possum Pride. I can see SEVERAL items I will be ordering from them. They are a great resource.
Doug

they will function, But............I have the harley master cyl on mine and it is "quick" to apply the rear brakes...best to use the proper bore size master cyl whether it be 5/8 or 3/4 depends on what you have for rear brakes. but it is best to keep them matched up for proper function. same for clutch if you use a slave cyl. match them up for proper use.

Are you running a porpotioning valve between the master cylinder and the brakes? I had the same problem a few years back with my T bucket (had rear dics only) and adding an adjustable porportioning valve took care of it.

no porpotioning valve......got it like that, going through a rebuild so brakes are going through a major change anyway

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png