Am I nuts about a gasoline additive improving mileage?

Oct 15, 2019
Flagstaff AZ
When I purchased my 2015 TG last October, it only had 5000 miles on it. I was not sure how the bike had been stored or used so I put a few oz. of Seafoam in the tank on each fill up until the the bottle was gone. I have noticed that now I am not getting the mileage I did when I was adding the Seafoam. It seems to be a few miles per gallon but after 5 gallons it is the difference between a 1/4 tank left and an 1/8 of a tank left. It is a 103 with a non-restrictive intake and pipes and a custom map from a VH Fuel Pak 3 for the pipes. No other engine mods that I know of.

When I purchased my 2015 TG last October, it only had 5000 miles on it. I was not sure how the bike had been stored or used so I put a few oz. of Seafoam in the tank on each fill up until the the bottle was gone. I have noticed that now I am not getting the mileage I did when I was adding the Seafoam. It seems to be a few miles per gallon but after 5 gallons it is the difference between a 1/4 tank left and an 1/8 of a tank left. It is a 103 with a non-restrictive intake and pipes and a custom map from a VH Fuel Pak 3 for the pipes. No other engine mods that I know of.

I get better mileage with additives than running non ethanol I use stabil 360 performance and 93 octane

Like you stated it's only a few but there is a difference. Ride safe Fred

Think Carbon. Using a quality additive with NO added alcohol will help clean carbon from the combustion chamber. As carbon builds it raises the compression in the engine. This adds heat and the need for higher octane for the complete burn. Only you can pick the right additive and how often you want to use it. My adage to all of this is TOO much of a good thing is NOT always the answer;)

Only you can pick the right additive and how often you want to use it. My adage to all of this is TOO much of a good thing is NOT always the answer;)

I drove my '82 Camaro from Atlanta, GA to Plymouth, MA in '83 in one shot. I noticed the engine running rough so I decided to put some fuel cleaner in. I was traveling at night so finding a service station open for service was not easy. I ended up putting a bottle of cleaner in at every stop. When I finally reached Plymouth, I went to the dealer to have the car looked at. It ended up being a shorted plug wire. Anyway a week later, the fuel pump gave out. The fuel cleaner ended up eating through the diaphragm in the fuel pump.

I was just curious if anyone else had seen mileage improvements with certain additives.

I drove my '82 Camaro from Atlanta, GA to Plymouth, MA in '83 in one shot. I noticed the engine running rough so I decided to put some fuel cleaner in. I was traveling at night so finding a service station open for service was not easy. I ended up putting a bottle of cleaner in at every stop. When I finally reached Plymouth, I went to the dealer to have the car looked at. It ended up being a shorted plug wire. Anyway a week later, the fuel pump gave out. The fuel cleaner ended up eating through the diaphragm in the fuel pump.

I was just curious if anyone else had seen mileage improvements with certain additives.

I used Harley conditioner with Duralt for years with improved mileage. Harley stopped carrying it a few years ago.

You don't mention what the mileage was using and not using Seafoam. For comparison I bought my 2015 TG new and my overall mpg is 33.6. I don't have any engine mods.

Average mileage is 34 for us here in Western Pennsylvania. I run 93. Octane and add 1 ounce of 360 performance additive. Also utilizing an external breather. Not rebreathing oil vapor from heads. 32K+ runs better now than 7 years ago when I adopted the old Harley. Ride safe Fred. Oh almost forgot tried STP Additives not good enough results went back to 360 perf. Remember mileage is so fickle wind head or tail etc. Also speed starts launching at lights you know I'm not concerned when it needs fuel I fill it up don't really check unless things seem odd

You don't mention what the mileage was using and not using Seafoam. For comparison I bought my 2015 TG new and my overall mpg is 33.6. I don't have any engine mods.

I do a combination of short and long distances in and out of town so getting a reliable MPG is tough. It was on the few long distance only rides that I really saw the difference.

There must be tons of additives that claim to give more MPG , better lubrication , burn off carbon, ect..

Before methanol , eathanol , corn cob juice, what ever you want to call it , was added to motor fuel , there was minimal fuel issues if any at all.

There are a few fuel stations that offer methanol free fuel. I have used it many times and have noticed a huge performance difference due to better combustion. If it’s available in your area , I encourage you to use it. Other than fuel stabilizers for storage , everything else is a waste of time and money.

If you got a scoot for just MPG , then sell it for an electric model. Then after your 200 mile run you can camp out and wait for it to recharge , pay your fee , which is the same as motor fuel , and do it all over again.

There must be tons of additives that claim to give more MPG , better lubrication , burn off carbon, ect..

Before methanol , eathanol , corn cob juice, what ever you want to call it , was added to motor fuel , there was minimal fuel issues if any at all.

There are a few fuel stations that offer methanol free fuel. I have used it many times and have noticed a huge performance difference due to better combustion. If it’s available in your area , I encourage you to use it. Other than fuel stabilizers for storage , everything else is a waste of time and money.

If you got a scoot for just MPG , then sell it for an electric model. Then after your 200 mile run you can camp out and wait for it to recharge , pay your fee , which is the same as motor fuel , and do it all over again.

Yep.......JC Whitney made a fortune selling MPG improving Do-Dads...And i probably bought every one of them through the 60's and 70's....And they all worked, In my mind that is....:laugh:...

My gas mileage on both the Jeep and the Tri goes down in the fall and winter and up in the spring and summer over the whole season.

Used to think it was more shorter trips on the Tri, but, the Jeep gets driven like the tri except more shorter trips in the summer and spring.

I think it's got more to do with better fuel mixing with warmer air temps ... but ... I'm guessing. Should be noted that the results I speak of are with no additives.

My gas mileage on both the Jeep and the Tri goes down in the fall and winter and up in the spring and summer over the whole season.

Used to think it was more shorter trips on the Tri, but, the Jeep gets driven like the tri except more shorter trips in the summer and spring.

I think it's got more to do with better fuel mixing with warmer air temps ... but ... I'm guessing. Should be noted that the results I speak of are with no additives.

Over here in the northeast At least there is a thing call winter /summer gas...And the refiners have to change their formulas for gas one for summer and then for winter...And we do notice a difference in MPG after the change over..

Problem is you get one or two mpg better and pay more than a gallon of gas to get it. If you are doing it to save money not so great if it is for more power then maybe it is worth it.

Think Carbon. Using a quality additive with NO added alcohol will help clean carbon from the combustion chamber. As carbon builds it raises the compression in the engine. This adds heat and the need for higher octane for the complete burn. Only you can pick the right additive and how often you want to use it. My adage to all of this is TOO much of a good thing is NOT always the answer;)

You will not get carbon with unleaded fuel. Leaded fuel used to build carbon on pistons and valves.

You will not get carbon with unleaded fuel. Leaded fuel used to build carbon on pistons and valves.

Sure you will, any oil that gets past the valve seal, the piston rings and thru the PCV system has the potential for building carbon. It may not be as pronounced as with non fuel injected engines but it is there. Here is 1 example

HZa_AKY1biRmNKqLSCPqgBF1Bf41J098PICMH_AhcN7weppEQyYDbrOMQpiwjqtfx5Frr3eJaleU

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png