High Beam & Running Lights

ISP-FL

600+ Posts
Mar 16, 2017
Lake Suzy, FL USA
On my 16 and 19 TGs the two running lights would go out when I turned on the high beam. I know some states have restrictions on how many lights you can have on at a time in the front of a vehicle, but my high beam only certainly decreased the lighting off to the shoulder area.

Had a front tire installed last week and when I read the paperwork there was a note from the tech indicating the fact that my running lights went out with high beams on. When I asked about this they told me it could be changed if the customer requested it.

Needless to say I had them run it back inside and hook it up to the computer and make this change. I'm probably the last Harley owner to learn of this but I thought I would post it anyway just in case.

On my 16 and 19 TGs the two running lights would go out when I turned on the high beam. I know some states have restrictions on how many lights you can have on at a time in the front of a vehicle, but my high beam only certainly decreased the lighting off to the shoulder area.

Had a front tire installed last week and when I read the paperwork there was a note from the tech indicating the fact that my running lights went out with high beams on. When I asked about this they told me it could be changed if the customer requested it.

Needless to say I had them run it back inside and hook it up to the computer and make this change. I'm probably the last Harley owner to learn of this but I thought I would post it anyway just in case.

Yep Had them do this when I bought the Tri Glide

Had them do that to my 11 Tri-Glide......Back in 2011.....My 17 they the dealer did it with out even asking..

Cannot have too much lighting imo. I have the running / passing / fog lamps whatever you call them to stay on with high beam . . . and oh yes I run high beam all the time even in the daylight. Amazing how much better you can be seen in the daylight with high beam on. I have a friend who usually rides behind me and I have to keep reminding him to turn on his high beam. I can hardly see him with the low beam on. Just sayin'.

I also ALWAYS ride (daytime only) with my highbeams on/as well as my fog lights ............. The more lights (in front) the more were seen by cars waiting to pull out in front of us..

Safety first!!

Ronnie

i did not know this. Just thought it was the nature of the beast. That will be changed. I run low beams in the daytime only because it shuts the others off. Thanks for posting that.

It may be a law in your state, that stupidly claims, that High beams and lower running light can not be on at the same time...Ask first before changing.. (just a suggestion here) In Massachusetts there is that stupid law BUT I hooked them so both will work anyways.. [and never had a problem/with police/or inspections]

Ronnie

It may be a law in your state, that stupidly claims, that High beams and lower running light can not be on at the same time...Ask first before changing.. (just a suggestion here) In Massachusetts there is that stupid law BUT I hooked them so both will work anyways.. [and never had a problem/with police/or inspections]

Ronnie

They are illegal in Jersey also, But they haven't inspected Motorcycles in NJ Since 2011..

And as far as cars they don't check headlights anymore, All they do is check for emissions.....

Ronnie

Yes there are stupid laws and stupid people. For years and years the city of Memphis had a vehicle safety (and then added emissions testing) inspection program. Thankfully I don't live within the city and fortunately for those that do it has been discontinued in favor of a statewide system that thankfully has not been realized . . . and I hope never will.

In any case friends who did live within the city and were forced to have an inspection typically ran into a hard azz guy who did the motorcycles. Many had the bright taillights from Custom Dynamics, Bright Ass Lights and I think Harley came out with their own. Anyway he would turn them down arbitrarily saying they were so bright that motorists might be confused and think it was a fire truck. I kid you not. They had to swap back to the stock oem taillight before going through 'inspection.' And he was equally a hard azz on exhaust sound. If in his opinion it was too loud then you failed. No noise meter, nothing, just his dumb azz opinion and no facility to appeal.

Bureaucrats - give 'em a little power and it goes straight to whatever substitutes for a brain in their heads as is well demonstrated right now in their response to Covid-19 and the protests.

Pa. Does also have insp. Rules I have an appointment on Friday to get old Shiney legal for another year. Local independent does that he's an old Indian fan he has a chief from the 40's something just like it ca m e off the showroom. Fred

Ronnie

I was under the impression that this law was changed, on a Federal level, back a few years ago...meaning any motorcycle, in any State, can run high beams and passing light simultaneously now.

Kevin

I was under the impression that this law was changed, on a Federal level, back a few years ago...meaning any motorcycle, in any State, can run high beams and passing light simultaneously now.

Kevin

I don't know about that Kevin. But I had a headlight modulator on a bike a few years ago. Real attention getter and yes I had a print out saying it was a Federal mandate that it was legal in all states. Nonetheless I got stopped by a trooper in Kansas telling me it was illegal. Rather than argue I just turned it off and went on my way. He was cool and I was cool. No drama. Point being is there are so many, many restrictions / allowances it is virtually impossible for anyone civilian or LEO to know them all. If challenged I just back down and play dumb (it ain't hard, lol) and it's usually not a problem.

Cannot have too much lighting imo. I have the running / passing / fog lamps whatever you call them to stay on with high beam . . . and oh yes I run high beam all the time even in the daylight. Amazing how much better you can be seen in the daylight with high beam on. I have a friend who usually rides behind me and I have to keep reminding him to turn on his high beam. I can hardly see him with the low beam on. Just sayin'.

Same here. I run high beams and passing lamps during daylight hours. Any extra edge to be seen. JMHO.

I don't know about that Kevin. But I had a headlight modulator on a bike a few years ago. Real attention getter and yes I had a print out saying it was a Federal mandate that it was legal in all states. Nonetheless I got stopped by a trooper in Kansas telling me it was illegal. Rather than argue I just turned it off and went on my way. He was cool and I was cool. No drama. Point being is there are so many, many restrictions / allowances it is virtually impossible for anyone civilian or LEO to know them all. If challenged I just back down and play dumb (it ain't hard, lol) and it's usually not a problem.

ALWAYS good advice, Ultra. A little "yes, sir/no, sir" goes a long way most of the time.

Great advise. You can not win. Even though the fed says one thing a state may pass a law that says the opposite. You will win in court more than likely, BUT you will have to go to court to win. Time and money. Just say sorry I didn't know and take care of it. In Florida wig-wag lights are a no no because emergency vehicles use them including motors. But the headlight modules are different in design then the wig-wag modules, but the effect is very similar.

Annual inspection completed passed. Inspector said no problem with passing lamps and high beam at the same time. Did say should replace front brake pads soon, good for inspection but getting down there. Any recommendations? :shades:Ride safe Fred

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png