Do You Wear Less Safety Gear On A Trike?

i Have to admit I wear less before the trike I wore leather full helmet chaps and gloves now only wear jacket when its cold no gloves full helmet when cold half helmet when warm and when its real hot and humid here no helmet sometimes

There are times we ride with no helmet. Otherwise, I always wear jeans, boots and gloves.

We are going to be wearing our helmets more regularly. Friends that we rode with on a Sunday just a few weeks ago were on their way home from dinner on the following Wednesday and were 100' from home when a deer jumped out of a field and landed in the rider's lap. They went down and their helmets took serious damage. Their injuries were a broken shoulder, ribs and punctured lung for the rider, broken shoulder and wrist for the passenger. They are both home now and healing and already thinking about what new bike they want.

It should always be the riders choice but just like above, I'm proof helmets will normally keep you alive. It's not a given. And sometimes you might not want to be alive anyway. But I'll always wear one as will my wife. It just isn't worth the extra risk. It's risky enough with the jerks paying more attention to their phone than driving so will have one more positive chance on my side with helmet. But I would like everyone to have the choice. I despise the controllers and their mandatory helmet laws. That's just more of your freedoms chipped away.

I have always worn a helmet but my decision was cemented when a friend went down at 70 mph on a 1800 Wing when a car cut him off. Miraculously he was only bruised up and road rashed. We took a look at his full face helmet and the face and side of it were worn down from his head skidding on the roadway.

I had a oopsie in a curve 3 years ago. Was wearing brain bucket (always) leather vest and jeans and boots (all my minimum) don’t know why but it went into a slide and had NO response. When I saw grass under me I bailed off. The bike kept going and when all was done the straight axle wound up being bent about 10 degrees back. Was shook up and got some bruises and scrapes. Helmet didn’t fair so well though. Hand had skinny roped off down to the ugly stuff. Now gloves are always part of it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png