Likes Likes:  14
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinion Seal Headache

User ID

Default Pinion Seal Headache

I have a 2003 Goldwing 1800 w/a Champion trike kit. W/a Champion vin # 6265. I believe it is also a 2003. I was told that if the flange on the driveshaft that connects to the differential. Has nuts the connecting bolts instead of being threaded directly into the flange on the differential. Then that means it's a Toyota differential. The trouble l'm having is not knowing what model of Toyota differential is used by Champion. Did they use a Tacoma, or a 4Runner or what? I can't just go in to an auto parts store & say l need a pinion seal for a Toyota differential. If anyone knows what model of Toyota differential was used PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance

64000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    I have a 2003 Goldwing 1800 w/a Champion trike kit. W/a Champion vin # 6265. I believe it is also a 2003. I was told that if the flange on the driveshaft that connects to the differential. Has nuts the connecting bolts instead of being threaded directly into the flange on the differential. Then that means it's a Toyota differential. The trouble l'm having is not knowing what model of Toyota differential is used by Champion. Did they use a Tacoma, or a 4Runner or what? I can't just go in to an auto parts store & say l need a pinion seal for a Toyota differential. If anyone knows what model of Toyota differential was used PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance
    Tracey....I can't help on the pinion seal, But i'm sure someone will chime in soon with the info you need......But in the mean time i can Welcome You To Trike-Talk .....
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2019 Tri-Glide.......

Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

tracey welcome aboard. I believe someone will be able to answer you shortly.
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

100+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Popout the pinion seal and it should have a number on it and a auto parts store should be able to match the number.

2008 GL1800 Level 3 W\2009 Motor Trike Adventure IRS Kit
    1999 Valkyrie Interstate W\2002 Lehman Predator Trike Kit
    2009 Vulcan 900 Classic, full dresser (Girlfriends)
    2019 Coachmen Catalina Trail Blazer 26' Toy Hauler/Camper
    VRCC Member #16248, GWRRA PA. Chapter D

User ID

Maybe not a good idea and you've already tried Google and You Tube....

User ID

Lee H. Mann on here is pretty well versed on Champion trikes as well as Lehman trikes.
    Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road" too!

User ID

Default Pinion seal for an 03' champion trike

I just wanted to thank everyone on here that offered help with the issue l was having. I did manage to get the pinion seal replaced. I really wasn't in a position to remove the old one 1st to get a part# So I bought 3 different ones & luckily 1 of them was the right one. It's really a shame that there's not some sort of method. To tell what model of Toyota differential Champion used in their trike kits.

4750+ Posts
    Tech Contributor
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    I just wanted to thank everyone on here that offered help with the issue l was having. I did manage to get the pinion seal replaced. I really wasn't in a position to remove the old one 1st to get a part# So I bought 3 different ones & luckily 1 of them was the right one. It's really a shame that there's not some sort of method. To tell what model of Toyota differential Champion used in their trike kits.
    Trace,

Here is your opportunity to shine and contribute to the Forum.

You now have the information, how about sharing it.
    Jim Murphy
    EX-Lehman & Champion Dealer Owner Operator
    Iron Butt Rider 2001

WHEN HELP IS OFFERED, A SIMPLE "THANK YOU" IS APPRECIATED.

User ID

Default Pinion seal for an 03' champion trike

The seal that l ended up using, was for a pre-2005 Toyota Tacoma truck. The Tacoma truck was much smaller before 2005. And Champion switched to a Suzuki differential in mid year 2006. The reason l ended up w/3 different seals is because l couldn't find out what model of Toyota they used. So l got a seal for pretty much every possibiity there was. The kit on our trike is a 2003, so l'm not sure how many years they used the Tacoma differentials. However, l doubt they used a lot of different models. I took the Toyota part# for the Tacoma 90311-38047. And they cross referenced it over to a National brand part #710525. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone else w/a pinion seal issue. When l called the new owner of Champion, he was not very helpful. Other than he was able to confirm that ours did in fact have a Toyota differential.

User ID

Default Pinion Seal Headache AGAIN :(

I wasn't sure how to go about making a new post. So, instead l'm just adding to my past post. The problem l'm having is that the leak @ the pinion seal, l had replaced has returned. I'm sure the correct seal was installed, because l had the auto parts cross reference the # off the one that was removed. The trike had less than 10k miles on it when it was replaced. The leak stopped for a short time, but then returned after a few hundred miles. I guess my ? to my fellow triker friends is. Did the person install the seal incorrectly or somehow damage it, or is there something else causing the leak? There's no vibration or strange sounds that l'm aware of. It's not leaking badly or dripping constantly, & if l wipe the oil off of it. It doesn't leak while the trike is setting, only after l drive it again, is when the oil reappears just behind the pinion seal area. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast