Aluma TK1 Trailer Tie downs

I just bought an Aluma TK1 trailer to haul my 2008 Honda GL1800 CSC trike. It seems that this is a great hauling trailer and will do everything I want in the way of transporting my trike.

I was wondering if some owners of like equipment could give me some advice as to the best way to strap it down for going down the freeway.

Looks to me like the chrome engine guards would be a nice spot in the front to tie to, what do you guys think? What about the rear? Any suggestions?
And... are standard motorcycle straps best to use?

Use soft straps around the engine gaurd and secure the front from that point.
On the rear if you have a trailer hitch on the trike use the eyes where you hook the safety chains. Four straps should hold the trike. Make sure it cannot slide sideways, that is why you secure it 4 ways.

Hi Mike, I have an ALuma 6810 trailer that I use for my Zero turn and small mower for my business. These trailer are very nice and pull like a dream. The torsion suspension is very smooth. I would order a set od four d-ring tie downs and the plates for under the trailer bed. The plates are used to ditribute the load or spread it out some. Then I would get the tie down strap protectors (loop end both sides) put two around the engine guards and two to the rear suspension then use 2" tie down straps( ratchet type) and crank down on them. If you have a trailer hitch get a slide in mount put a D-ring clevis on it and strap to that and down to the trailer d-rings. If you can do this you shouldn't have any problems. Mark

Hey, Super! I would have never thought of the rear safety chain links. Yes, I can envision that...tying down in 4 directions sounds like the ticket.
And 4 regular soft material motorcycle straps. I'll be getting them tomorrow.
Wow isn't that TK1 a dream tow-er? It has a lockable tool box, and protection from flying rocks. And it already has 4 tie down rings. There's no wood parts, completely all aluminum and rain proof. And only 500lbs empty. Easy to move by hand.
I'll be driving it 800 miles in a couple of weeks. This really helps, Thanks Guys.

mac:
Just trailered my Aluma TK1 over 1500 miles with NO problems. Pulled with a Toy Highlander and both have done great. I tie down my Harley trike off the engine guards and off the D rings that Harley provides on the axles. I then put my Gezagear cover on and off we go. (Motorcycle Covers | Towable-Daily Use Motorcycle Cover | Geza Gear) My tie downs all have the safety straps so there is never any metal to metal contact. My spare tire is on the right side and it deflects water into the bike so make sure you have good mud flaps on the tow vehicle.

Get GOOD STRAPS!! not the cheap-o's If you can or have time get 2" heavy duty ratchet straps, and heavy duty soft ties ( most actually are ) I have broken many 1" straps and seen many that broken on the road. I also use the hitch or the hitch safety chain holes. Good and sturdy. There are 2" ratchet straps in some Auto Stores that are only 6 foot, and they are perfect.

Well still on my trip and now heading back west. Somewhere between southern New Jersey and Gettysburg my TK1 license plate broke off and is gone. Ya, know I knew that was gonna happen due to the very poor placement of the plate holder (below the left tailight). I was gonna screw it onto the fender but just didn't make time to get 'er done. A teachable momemt for me and perhaps this will help someone else?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png