Battery Died Radio 1/2 volume?

Aug 5, 2020
Glendale, Az USA
I just had a new tire installed on my 1996 1500 Goldwing, when they tried to start it the battery was dead so they tried to jump it so I could at leased get it home. But it still didnt start and the wires going to the battery tender melted. I removed the melted wires and installed a new battery, and it starts great now but now my stereo is at 1/2(at best) volume. I was told it might be in the mute switch but the tuner up/down works and so does the mute switch on the handle bar, but the mute on the tank doesnt. (do they both do the same thing?)anybody ever seen anything like this? Ive tested all the grounds I could get to, no melted or damaged wires that I can see. :gah:Any recommendations are appreciated

What did they use/try to jump start it with....And the tender wires should of had an in line 7 amp fuse and then it should have blown before the wires melted?.....

I hope they didn't run to much power though the amplifiers on the stereo..:Shrug:

What did they use/try to jump start it with....And the tender wires should of had an in line 7 amp fuse and then it should have blown before the wires melted?.....

I hope they didn't run to much power though the amplifiers on the stereo..:Shrug:

It did blow the main fuse and a unidentified fuse 5amp under the main, and also the acc fuse. It was a well respected bike shop, I would hope they know how to jump batteries, spmeone on here mentioned a power amp fuse tucked into the relay box but all I see is relays in there

It did blow the main fuse and a unidentified fuse 5amp under the main, and also the acc fuse. It was a well respected bike shop, I would hope they know how to jump batteries, spmeone on here mentioned a power amp fuse tucked into the relay box but all I see is relays in there

If ? All the replays are the same switch them around they might have fried one of them...

With all those fuses blowing it sounds like they used a high amp booster/starter charger that you would use for a car..:Shrug:

Last edited:
I would contact Mark at D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe. I feel very fortunate that we have his expertise here in the Phoenix area. Explain who did what and which fuses and wires you found damaged. I'd bet he will be able to tell you exactly where the problem is. (BTW, he writes the Workbench column for the Wing World magazine). Good luck..... Jim

Put this in another thread

Dug this up off the net concerning this problem. Seem like it resolved the problem:

Behind the left side cover is the fuse box, to the right of the fuse box another box with relays in it. In that box there are 2, 5 amp fuses. Check them. It's been a long time since I had a 1500 wing but IF I remember right that is the cause of your problem.

Hope it helps

where to find fuses and relays

This community ROCKS1

Ended up being behind the relay box 5amp fuse was a royal pain to get to because the conversion was in the way. but Im jammin again Thanks for everyones help.

Matt, I am glad you got your trike running. I would strongly uge you to check your charging system after that bad Ju Ju @ the bike shop. There is no good reason I can see why your battery tender wires burned up UNLESS the shop tried to do a hot charge thru the tender plug? YIKES:confused: THat could be enuff of a jolt to burn a diode before the fuses blew

Another reason why one hates to take things to a shop as you don't know if whoever works on them even has a clue what they are doing plus you are paying 100 bucks an hour!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png