Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Roadsmith rear end clicking noise

  1. #1
    50+ Posts
    User ID
    22414
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Monroe, NC , Union
    Posts
    58

    Default Roadsmith rear end clicking noise

    I own a 2014 HTS 1800 Roadsmith installed on a 2008 wing .

    The rear end started to make a clicking noise that got worst at slower speeds. The noise stops when the clutch is pulled and drifting at any speed. I checked the u-joints, the rear had a slight side to side movement. I had a local mechanic shop replace both joints. Replacing joints did not correct the issue. There is no noticeable noise turning the differential by hand using either the wheels or the pinion yoke. CV joints seem fine as well as the wheel bearings have no noticeable movement or noise. I plan to call the factory today to see if they have heard of any issues like this one. I might take this to a local trike shop and or drive line shop for them to test drive this before I start removing the differential and CV axles.

    This noise is coming from the rear of the trike. Sure hope it is not an output shaft issue in the transmission? I checked this too by running the engine with out the shaft installed. I did not run the trike with the rear end off the floor.

    Has anyone else experienced this issue?

  2. Roadsmith banner
  3. #2
    50+ Posts
    User ID
    22414
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Monroe, NC , Union
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camplejeune View Post
    I own a 2014 HTS 1800 Roadsmith installed on a 2008 wing .

    The rear end started to make a clicking noise that got worst at slower speeds. The noise stops when the clutch is pulled and drifting at any speed. I checked the u-joints, the rear had a slight side to side movement. I had a local mechanic shop replace both joints. Replacing joints did not correct the issue. There is no noticeable noise turning the differential by hand using either the wheels or the pinion yoke. CV joints seem fine as well as the wheel bearings have no noticeable movement or noise. I plan to call the factory today to see if they have heard of any issues like this one. I might take this to a local trike shop and or drive line shop for them to test drive this before I start removing the differential and CV axles.

    This noise is coming from the rear of the trike. Sure hope it is not an output shaft issue in the transmission? I checked this too by running the engine with out the shaft installed. I did not run the trike with the rear end off the floor.

    Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    Update: Lifted the trike and ran it with rear wheels off the ground. Clicking noise appears to be right side cv axle. Removed the axle and disassembled the cv joints. No apparent issue in the joints. Took the clean joints to a local drive line shop. He told me to reassemble and repack the joints. I showed him the video I made. The owner of the shop told me to inspect the differential. For those of us who have been under these R/S kits know that the rear cover can not be removed for inspection without dropping the whole unit. Hopefully someone from R/S will comment on this post? I plan to call them to ask if these can be rebuilt or will I be forced to purchase a new one thru the factory. I bet they tell me to take it to my local R/S dealer. Money I really do not want to spend if I can do this work myself.

    I am not a happy camper right now. More to come.

  4. #3
    3000+ Posts bikerbillone's Avatar
    User ID
    9350
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Good luck Camp, had similar problems with my 2012 installed on 2005, new U joint cured the problem, sorry you were not so fortunate. If RS is no help, if you can ride to Zephyr Hills, pretty sure Greg at Just Wings could help you, he always kept mine going. Probably would be risky for for you though, then you'd have leave it, so maybe not a great idea.

  5. #4
    50+ Posts
    User ID
    22414
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Monroe, NC , Union
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Good luck Camp, had similar problems with my 2012 installed on 2005, new U joint cured the problem, sorry you were not so fortunate. If RS is no help, if you can ride to Zephyr Hills, pretty sure Greg at Just Wings could help you, he always kept mine going. Probably would be risky for for you though, then you'd have leave it, so maybe not a great idea.
    Thanks, repacked the cv joints, installed the shaft. No change. I am taking it to the RS dealer. Gear sets will come from the factory. I will update everyone on the outcome.

  6. #5
    1500+ Posts
    User ID
    23660
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Springfield, Mass. USA
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Camp,

    How did you make out with the noise coming from your R/S conversion??

    Many of us are wondering!

    Ronnie

  7. #6
    50+ Posts
    User ID
    22414
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Monroe, NC , Union
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnerboy View Post
    Camp,

    How did you make out with the noise coming from your R/S conversion??

    Many of us are wondering!

    Ronnie
    Hello Burnerboy,

    Had the trike taken to the R/S dealer via a flatbed last Tuesday. The dealer has not contacted me yet. As soon I get word on the status I will update everyone. Thanks for asking.

  8. #7
    50+ Posts
    User ID
    22414
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Monroe, NC , Union
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camplejeune View Post
    Hello Burnerboy,

    Had the trike taken to the R/S dealer via a flatbed last Tuesday. The dealer has not contacted me yet. As soon I get word on the status I will update everyone. Thanks for asking.
    Hello everyone,

    Spoke with the local R/S shop owner. He is unable to pinpoint the noise. He feels there is a gear issue, he also made a comment that the backlash or gear engagement slop may be excessive. He has been in touch with the factory. The suggestion is to have the differential shipped to them for further investigation.

    R/S if you are following this thread. This kit is a 2014, the speedometer on this 2008 Goldwing is only showing 54,000 miles. I am hopeful that the factory will help me out with the expense of this investigation/repair, especially shipping fees.

  9. #8
    3000+ Posts bikerbillone's Avatar
    User ID
    9350
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Oh my, not good news of course, hope RoadSmith helps you on this problem, it's the right thing to do. I think they will.

  10. Roadsmith banner

Similar Threads

  1. 01 Goldwing Lehman monarch 1 Rear end grinding noise
    By Tang62 in forum Lehman Trikes
    Owners Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2020, 09:52 AM
  2. Clicking sound from rear when ignition is turned on
    By AzBTO in forum GL1800 Tech Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2019, 02:50 PM
  3. Photos of your rear end . Not THAT rear end !!!!!!
    By Snickers1948 in forum Harley Tri Glide
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM
  4. Motor Trike rear end noise!!!
    By iowatree in forum Brand Specific Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-03-2015, 10:12 AM
  5. Champion IRS clicking noise
    By Cool-A in forum Brand Specific Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 10:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •