Heated Grips and seat not working

Jun 6, 2017
Moville, IOWA
2008 GW with heated options. Heated g​rips and seat quit working. Here's what I've done so far to trouble shoot with no luck. Borrow a friends seat that worked. still no heat. Test both fusses which are good. Test for voltage at the fuse socket - got voltage. Check the relay good, even swapped it out with another working relay. Voltage at the relay socket. Rechecked all connections and connection pins - all good.

Removed right clove compartment to get to grip connections. Unplug grip connections and check each tail for electrical continuity with Ohm meter . got a Zero reading indicating no broken circuit in the wire or grips to rule out the Always left grip failure. Tried using a jumper wire on the grip connectors to take them totally out of the picture. Had no voltage readings on any of these grip wires at the connection. Took the heat control switches apart to check for burnt circuit boards and functionality.

Everything looks good there. Unplugged seat connector and checked voltage. Had 4.9 volts on curtain ports and zero on others.Lost that voltage when I pulled the 5 amp heater fuse. Only thing I know left to do is check the wire coming off of the 20 Amp heater fuse for continuity. Will need to study schematics to see where this wire end connects to the heating system.

Am I missing something in my trouble shooting??? Any help much appreciated.

The only thing I can add to your troubleshooting is...... What was done to the bike the last time it was worked on/serviced before you lost heat? I would go back and check EVERYTHING in and around previous work done. The Goldwing seat and grip heat is a single type of system. If one part goes bad, it ALL shuts down. Check your plug for the heat system under your seat to make sure it is completely plugged in and in good condition. Good luck..... Jim

One more thing. I removed my heated seat and installed a custom seat. By doing so, I lost heat to my grips. I bought a dummy load from Electrical Connections and plugged it into the seat heater plug under the seat and my grip heaters came to life again. I know it's a long shot but if the seat heater is bad but not the grips, that is something that will at least get your grip heaters working again.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Double checked all connections. Plus got a seat that worked in another bike. I reviewed the wiring schematics and made a set of jumpers to eliminate any issue with a bad grip and still no heat to seat. If grips were bad the seat should still work as long as I leave the grips turn off from what I can tell by the wiring diagram. Will see if anyone else got some suggestions. Thanks again.

James......I might be wrong 'Wife says i am always wrong...But i Kinda remember another post about a hard to find 5 amp fuse behind the really box.:Shrug:.. If any thing this will Bump your post up to the top and maybe someone can help you out.?..

There's no 5 amp fuse hidden. That fuse is in the fuse box cluster. Have gotten the Ohm settings for switches will I'll check that out next. I'm being told bypass the grips with jumpers won't work as the system functions depend on a resistance from the grips. So I maybe in the market for new grips if switches check out.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png