Widen the back end of my tri glide

Decided that I might spend some money on my 2018 tri glide. I have already raked the trike, jims air cooler system, higher handle bars, stage 2 with V&H pipes, progressive rear shocks and have changed the rims to chrome.

My options I am thinking about are: independent rear suspension, widening the whole rear end and putting on wider tyres, easy clutch, upgrading the motor stage 3 or 4.

I am in Australia and I have seen a trike that has been widen in the rear end with wider tyres and they tell me the trike handles so much better.

Is there anybody that has done this and does it handle much better and more stable on the windy roads.

I sometimes find my trike wants to almost tip over when fanging hard around our windy roads. Have lifted the inside wheel off the ground a few times going too hard and am wondering if widening the rear would help prevent this.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc on this issue would be greatly accepted.

Thanks - Deb for Aussie land.

Decided that I might spend some money on my 2018 tri glide. I have already raked the trike, jims air cooler system, higher handle bars, stage 2 with V&H pipes, progressive rear shocks and have changed the rims to chrome.

My options I am thinking about are: independent rear suspension, widening the whole rear end and putting on wider tyres, easy clutch, upgrading the motor stage 3 or 4.

I am in Australia and I have seen a trike that has been widen in the rear end with wider tyres and they tell me the trike handles so much better.

Is there anybody that has done this and does it handle much better and more stable on the windy roads.

I sometimes find my trike wants to almost tip over when fanging hard around our windy roads. Have lifted the inside wheel off the ground a few times going too hard and am wondering if widening the rear would help prevent this.

I think I'd talk to Kevin at DK Custom Products about the rear suspension first. Widening it would be very expensive and I'm not sure the results would be that much if any better.

Why did you buy a Harley trike? Sounds like you hate yours. The only thing you haven't changed is the windshield - - or have you?

To answer your question, yes, if you widened your trike to 10', I bet you wouldn't tip over. Now I've heard everything. :shock:

Good luck with your transformation.

For my 2 cents independent suspension may be okay as for wider tires. Might be an issue in rain/wet roads if you're in the Desert not an issue. I like mine the way it is... just sayin Fred

I can't imagine that you have any roads that a stock TG can't handle. We have a world famous road here called The Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. It has 318 curves in 11 miles. I ride it every year and some years I ride with some rice rockets. I can pretty much stay with them the whole way. On the straights (not many) they usually leave me in the dust, but I can catch up in the turns. :D

I personally don't see any reason to convert to IRS.....unless you have terrible roads. A few years back I tried a TG converted to IRS and a stock TG on a mapped out route. The only time the IRS was any good was on a section of road that had a lot of potholes otherwise on a good road you can't tell any difference between IRS and solid axle. And the cost to convert back in 2010 was $5000. Not worth the price in my opinion. Besides I don't ride on bad roads very often. :)

The cost to widen the rear end would be extremely costly and probably harder to sell when the time comes to sell it. JMHO

Good luck with whatever you do.

Hay Deb check out Oldys Custom Composites they make wider rear fender's for Tri Glide's , I guess you can get them as wide as you like ? You could use a lot wider wheel and tire , But wider tire's will kill the power and hydroplain a lot more , Should make it a lot more fun to ride . Be Safe

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png