Connecticut Laws

Mar 14, 2011
CT
Hey guys I have a Honda TRX400EX atv which I am looking to convert to a street legal trike, in the style of a can-am with 2 wheels up front and one out back. I don't know if this is possible and I am having trouble finding the laws. So far I can tell I need wheels larger than 10" and a seat height of at least 25" to be classified as a motorcycle. My game plan is stretch the rear swing arm and widen it to accept a 13" steel car rim. Then I figured I would extend the front a-arms a few inches and either beef up or change the hub for 13" steel wheels up front too.

Do any of you guys have any info on this? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

First thing you need to do is find out what your state vehicele laws are.
You should be able to go on line and find out what they are.
Any more with state and fedreal saftey andepa laws it is pretty hard to change things around.
That motor may not meet epa standards for on road use.
:Trike1::Trike1::Trike1::Trike1:

I am in Connecticut also. Before I fired up that HOT wrench I would make sure it is gona pass an inspection I would not onlyread the law I would got right to Whethersfield and talk to the people there. They are going to be the ones to let u on the road. Working head and tail light, Quiet, loud ( 200 Ft ) horn. Not sure of wheel size or the seat height requirement . Bar height is 24 in above the seat is max. when you get it up and running or even now , e mail me your address and join us on our second NE rally this summer . come in a cage and see the trikes

First thing you need to do is find out what your state vehicele laws are.
You should be able to go on line and find out what they are.
Any more with state and fedreal saftey andepa laws it is pretty hard to change things around.
That motor may not meet epa standards for on road use.
:Trike1::Trike1::Trike1::Trike1:

Yeah that was one of my worries. It's an overhead cam 4 stroke and is a single cylinder and I will run it with stock exhaust and put a small high flow cat on it if they want it. The pollutants and sound shouldn't be too bad. I'm probably going to bore it out because I spun the timing chain and have to tear it down anyways. I guess I'll take a ride to the DMV soon and have a talk with an inspector before I tear it down, I already have the lighting, horn, and all the stupid stuff figured out. I just have to find out if they would call it a motorcycle with the changes I stated and street tires or would they still call it an ATV. I have seen GSXR's converted by adding CAN AM quad front ends to the original frame and have passed inspections in other states so that's basically the same concept I'm just doing the opposite with what chassis I'm keeping.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?A=804&Q=244896 according to this I can do it

EDIT:also found some more information on a rear set-up this motor has a sister chassis that's a dirtbike the XR400 and it looks as though the rear swing arm will bolt right up to my atv so I will be purchasing one and modifying it if it doesn't fit then go with around a 15" to 16" wheel and a supermoto tire as wide as I can get

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back