Tri Glide rear brakes

Nov 1, 2018
Cincinnati
Just wondering what to expect on rear brake pads? How many miles you are getting before replacing? Mine was worn enough at 4250 miles to ruin the rotors. I don't hear any noise while braking but seen heavy brake dust last 200 miles I rode it. Dealer contacted factory for warranty repair but HD factory declined. I'm concerned there is another issue that caused this wear. Dealership thought this was too early & sent pictures to HD. anyone had any similar rear brake issues or early pad wear.

Just wondering what to expect on rear brake pads? How many miles you are getting before replacing? Mine was worn enough at 4250 miles to ruin the rotors. I don't hear any noise while braking but seen heavy brake dust last 200 miles I rode it. Dealer contacted factory for warranty repair but HD factory declined. I'm concerned there is another issue that caused this wear. Dealership thought this was too early & sent pictures to HD. anyone had any similar rear brake issues or early pad wear.

Welcome to Trike-Talk........Mike...:wave4:.....Sounds way too soon....?..

Had right at 30k on my 2018 TG when I traded it for my 2020 with no issues and original brake pads all the way around. Got 7k on my 2020 and no issues. Something is wrong that caused this. No brake pad should be worn and rotors warped at 4k.

Sounds like your parking brake is dragging. Do you let it "snap" up when releasing? It's the only way to ensure proper release.

What year are we talking about here for the record? There are several reasons for premature brake wear, the biggest factor is incorrect adjustment of the parking brake. Your mileage is low for any major problems unless a mechanical issue is at fault. Keep us informed and report back. Good Luck;)

Reactions: MDO
What year are we talking about here for the record? There are several reasons for premature brake wear, the biggest factor is incorrect adjustment of the parking brake. Your mileage is low for any major problems unless a mechanical issue is at fault. Keep us informed and report back. Good Luck;)

2013.....Tri-Glide......According to His profile...And only 4250....Miles?..:Shrug:..

2013.....Tri-Glide......According to His profile...And only 4250....Miles?..:Shrug:..

2013 models had a rear master cylinder problem concerning the piston not returning

This could cause a low pedal and fast wear of the rear brakes. Harley never did issue a recall but they should have knowing this problem reared its ugly head

2013 models had a rear master cylinder problem concerning the piston not returning

This could cause a low pedal and fast wear of the rear brakes. Harley never did issue a recall but they should have knowing this problem reared its ugly head

I wish I had known this years ago - the rear master cylinder problem. Had to replace the rear rotors and pads at ~7K miles. I assumed it was because of improper parking brake adjustment, so I removed the parking brake. Stealer got $900 to replace what they screwed-up! I've done ~37K miles since with only one pad change at 42K.

I wish I had known this years ago - the rear master cylinder problem. Had to replace the rear rotors and pads at ~7K miles. I assumed it was because of improper parking brake adjustment, so I removed the parking brake. Stealer got $900 to replace what they screwed-up! I've done ~37K miles since with only one pad change at 42K.

Harley has been real good @ hiding some problems over the years, this puts the learning curve on us the riders. Shameful way to run a billion dollar business IMO

When it comes to braking there should be NO gray areas and truth should be out in front. Like I always told my customers, it matters not how your machine runs, if you cant stop you better stay home

Harley has been real good @ hiding some problems over the years, this puts the learning curve on us the riders. Shameful way to run a billion dollar business IMO

When it comes to braking there should be NO gray areas and truth should be out in front. Like I always told my customers, it matters not how your machine runs, if you cant stop you better stay home

It is amazing to me the chit Harley gets away with. No auto company could come close to the stuff that slides by Harley. I can only assume it is because their volume large as it is in the motorcycle world is insignificant in the much larger automotive world and it just doesn't percolate up to the powers that be who could do something about it. Doesn't make it right and I agree it is shameful the way they obfuscate and deny leaving it to the customer to foot the bill for their screw ups.

i also suggest ebc pads for the 13. mine has 62k i took the factory pads off at 5k. installed ebc and have changed them at 25 to 30 k. just did again before going for the fall ride in the smokies. i also still had pad left when changed both times

i also suggest ebc pads for the 13. mine has 62k i took the factory pads off at 5k. installed ebc and have changed them at 25 to 30 k. just did again before going for the fall ride in the smokies. i also still had pad left when changed both times

#1 on EBC pads, I changed my OEM Harley pads @ 20,000 miles not because they were worn out (they could have gone a lot more miles) I have never liked HD brakes. They are always noisy and hard on rotors. The EBC IMO are a cut above;)

It is amazing to me the chit Harley gets away with. No auto company could come close to the stuff that slides by Harley. I can only assume it is because their volume large as it is in the motorcycle world is insignificant in the much larger automotive world and it just doesn't percolate up to the powers that be who could do something about it. Doesn't make it right and I agree it is shameful the way they obfuscate and deny leaving it to the customer to foot the bill for their screw ups.

When you haven't any Competition you can get away with that shit, If Indian AKA Polaris read this forums and made their own Trikes with out the nagging problems that because of being the only game in town Harley doesn't have the need to change they 'Indian would have a home run... :Shrug:...

#1 on EBC pads, I changed my OEM Harley pads @ 20,000 miles not because they were worn out (they could have gone a lot more miles) I have never liked HD brakes. They are always noisy and hard on rotors. The EBC IMO are a cut above;)

Morning or afternoon Jack lol.

So where can I get those EBC break pads from.

Can you get them for the front an back also ?

Thanks Jack..........................Rick

Morning or afternoon Jack lol.

So where can I get those EBC break pads from.

Can you get them for the front an back also ?

Thanks Jack..........................Rick

Hi Rick, yes you can get front and rears from J&P and Denis Kirk

I use J & P, it is an 80 mile ride each way from my house;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png