Likes Likes:  1
Thanks Thanks:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriGlide "Grounded" at First Service for "Brake Lockup"

User ID

Exclamation TriGlide "Grounded" at First Service for "Brake Lockup"

I bought my 2019 TriGlide Ultra new and slowly (because of recovery from being run over on my Street Glide Special 2 years ago) have been riding it toward my first service. I reached that goal a few days ago and took it into my dealer for the service. So, I just got a call from the dealership telling me the trike had a brake lock-up on a test ride.

When they got it back to the shop and plugged it in to the H-D computer, the codes logged indicated a communication problem between the yaw sensor to the IMU and then another communication code to the trike's main computer. Sorry, I don't have the codes (yet). The tech was told by H-D to replace the calipers and disks, but I'm not sure if that will address this issue. Dealer is waiting for more input from H-D next week to see if the sensor(s) need to be replaced.

My wife also has a 2019 TriGlide Ultra and our dealer asked her NOT to ride it until they (and H-D) figure out what is going on with the brakes locking up (certainly a safety issue).

I wanted to pass this issue along to see if any members here have experienced the same issue, and what was the fix. I'll update this thread when I know more. Thanks.
    U.S. Air Force 1967 - 1972

2019 TriGlide Ultra

2. Love Jugs
    User ID

There is a service bulletin/recall on the rear brakes on this issue with a software update. Did you get the update done to your 2019's ?

NUMBER: 19V843

RECALL DATE: NOV 22, 2019

Last Updated Oct 17, 2020

The Trike Traction Control System software used on the subject motorcycles may respond incorrectly to a faulty rear wheel speed signal by activating one of therear brakes.

Model

Tri Glide Ultra

Safety Risk

Unintended activation of one rear brake could lead to an unexpected change in vehicle direction which may increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy

Owners of affected motorcycles will be asked to arrange service with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, who will confirm that the motorcycle is covered by this recall. If covered, the dealer will install a new software download. This service will be provided at no charge to the customer.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Koolbreeze View Post
    There is a service bulletin/recall on the rear brakes on this issue with a software update. Did you get the update done to your 2019's ?

NUMBER: 19V843

RECALL DATE: NOV 22, 2019

Last Updated Oct 17, 2020

The Trike Traction Control System software used on the subject motorcycles may respond incorrectly to a faulty rear wheel speed signal by activating one of therear brakes.

Model

Tri Glide Ultra

Safety Risk

Unintended activation of one rear brake could lead to an unexpected change in vehicle direction which may increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy

Owners of affected motorcycles will be asked to arrange service with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, who will confirm that the motorcycle is covered by this recall. If covered, the dealer will install a new software download. This service will be provided at no charge to the customer.

Yes, that recall was done shortly after H-D issued it. Interestingly, the problem manifests exactly the same as the issue being addressed by that recall. This time, however, the technician says it involves the yaw sensor. I might know more Tuesday when H-D engineering is to get back to the dealer with more info/advice/?.

2019 TriGlide Ultra

2250+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Can you post the code # please, that shows up on the screen.
    2020 Tahitian Teal is finally HOME :clapping:

10+ Posts
    User ID

Default bummer

That's not good to hear. Hope they get the issue resolved. I wonder if it is just a fluke in your bike or going to be an issue with other newer models. Keep us posted!
    Stupid is a choice
    Dumb is not a choice
    Stupid can be fixed
    Dumb cannot be fixed.

7. DKCustoms postbit
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by PosseRider View Post
    Can you post the code # please, that shows up on the screen.
    I did not see the codes because the problem occurred with the dealer technician taking the post service test ride. I checked with the dealer yesterday before they closed and was told the 2 codes so far are B2285 and V0423. There will probably be more trouble shooting after H-D gets back to my dealer with respect to further troubleshooting. So, it's pretty much a mystery at this point, but I know the technician and he's a "good one" and will not rest until he and/or H-D gets the problem resolved.

2019 TriGlide Ultra

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by windsurfed View Post
    That's not good to hear. Hope they get the issue resolved. I wonder if it is just a fluke in your bike or going to be an issue with other newer models. Keep us posted!
    I am wondering the same thing, especially after the dealer advised my wife to stop riding her 2019 Tri Glide until the issue is fixed.

2019 TriGlide Ultra

1000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernProducer View Post
    I did not see the codes because the problem occurred with the dealer technician taking the post service test ride. I checked with the dealer yesterday before they closed and was told the 2 codes so far are B2285 and V0423. There will probably be more trouble shooting after H-D gets back to my dealer with respect to further troubleshooting. So, it's pretty much a mystery at this point, but I know the technician and he's a "good one" and will not rest until he and/or H-D gets the problem resolved.
    Cannot find anything on either of those codes . . . and I suspect the 'V' code is actually a 'U'. Able to find some U codes (not this one) but no V codes anywhere. These may be newer codes for the 2019 and 2020 MY which now have ABS and the reflex defensive rider systems.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by ultrafxr View Post
    Cannot find anything on either of those codes . . . and I suspect the 'V' code is actually a 'U'. Able to find some U codes (not this one) but no V codes anywhere. These may be newer codes for the 2019 and 2020 MY which now have ABS and the reflex defensive rider systems.
    Here is what I was told at the dealership about the codes as it relates to the 2019 and 2020 trikes: B2285 as it relates to the rear brake configuration signifies a loss of communication between the control module and sensor. The V0423 (not a B or U) is unique to the trikes and the reflex system, but I don't have any more definition. I hope to get more info when I talk to the dealer this week.

2019 TriGlide Ultra

1000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernProducer View Post
    Here is what I was told at the dealership about the codes as it relates to the 2019 and 2020 trikes: B2285 as it relates to the rear brake configuration signifies a loss of communication between the control module and sensor. The V0423 (not a B or U) is unique to the trikes and the reflex system, but I don't have any more definition. I hope to get more info when I talk to the dealer this week.
    Looking forward to what you learn. Sure wish there was a reference for all the DTCs. All I found stopped at B2274 and I could find no Us. Hope they get it sorted for you soon. What shop is it - H-D of Columbia? Good dealership from what I know. They sure treated us right a few years back when a riding buddy had a problem and we limped in to the dealership.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast