See the pic

Oct 14, 2011
austin tx usa
My new to me 2008 CSC has led strip lights from end to end, but not working. Looking at the battery, there is wiring to the neg terminal that is spliced ( see the pic ). It goes down to a fuse at lower right. What is it? I removed it at the fuse panel and everything still worked. Could that be wiring for the led’s ? I don’t like the way it is spliced, so I might just remove it. Any thoughts?

GeraldA8A1280B-1773-4916-A9AF-594882CC6D1B.jpg

My new to me 2008 CSC has led strip lights from end to end, but not working. Looking at the battery, there is wiring to the neg terminal that is spliced ( see the pic ). It goes down to a fuse at lower right. What is it? I removed it at the fuse panel and everything still worked. Could that be wiring for the led’s ? I don’t like the way it is spliced, so I might just remove it. Any thoughts?

GeraldView attachment 92397

Could that be for the led strip and the fuse is blown....:Shrug:...

Have you tried changing the polarity?

The latest

So, I removed all the wires in the pic, leaving only the factory + and - wiring. Everything factory works. The PO had installed a sat radio as well as the strip lights so I think those were the “extra” wires at the battery. For now I am going to leave those wires disconnected and push them out of the way. I would like to remove them entirely, but that would mean removing some body parts.

Gerald

Have you tried changing the polarity?

Gerald. It looks like the PO installed one of the 2 items first attaching the cream wire to the ground side of the battery. Where it goes and which wire is the hot for that item I can nolt tell from the pic. They then come along with that black wire with the 2 wires coming out of it on the top left. They attach the red side to what most likely is the hot "+" side of the fuse box. They attach the other to the previously mentioned cream wire with what it know as a wire splice. In that situation who knows why not just put a lug on the wire and attach it to the ground terminal.

I do not believe that cream wire coming off the ground side goes to the mentioned fuse. They look like 2 different color wires one with a strip on it. If it did it would blow that fuse immediately because that is a direct short from positive to ground. I agree they have something to do with add on items which is why your factory stuff works with them dis-connected.

You will have to remove stuff and trace the wires for a solution.

I've asked some questions in the following photo...

oops..........................................................................................................................white wire
6QBTyvHy_o.gif

u2DlEZ.jpg

Gerald.. you are in Austin, I am in Kerrville... if I hear a big boom from that direction I will know you probably should have called the bomb squad first to remove it...then started over....:D

Gerald.. you are in Austin, I am in Kerrville... if I hear a big boom from that direction I will know you probably should have called the bomb squad first to remove it...then started over....:D

One thing i learned from watching Mission Impossible' Bomb deactivation 101' you should always snip the red wire first....:D....

It's an aftermarket self destruct mechanism. Harley's have one built in. They're placed in a random sequence during manufacture and seem to work quite well.

My brain hurts

So after removing these wires, went for a ride, everything factory was working. Did not check the radio. On a ride this morn, turned on the radio but it only worked with the clutch in, in neutral, or the turn signal activated. Got home and unwrapped the extra wires, but did not reattach them to the battery, and the radio then worked. At least this keeps my old brain working. I think I will just reattach them and be done.

So after removing these wires, went for a ride, everything factory was working. Did not check the radio. On a ride this morn, turned on the radio but it only worked with the clutch in, in neutral, or the turn signal activated. Got home and unwrapped the extra wires, but did not reattach them to the battery, and the radio then worked. At least this keeps my old brain working. I think I will just reattach them and be done.

Sounds like the previous owner was Rube Goldberg😁😁..

One more reply

Located the problem, blown fuse under the seat. Replaced it, and there was light. Problem, the ignition switch was in the off position. I removed all the wires, connected the red from the fuse to the hot terminal on the fuse block and the black from the fuse to ground. Now they lite up only with the ign switch on. The rest of the wires in the pic are for now not connected to anything.

I can tell you that the reason they only come on with the ignition on is because of that red positive wire that is connected to the screw on left side of the photo. That screw at the top left of the factory fuse block is only live when ignition on or in ACC position.

You mentioned a fuse under seat that was blown. Is that a single fuse like the one in front of the battery or is it on an aux fuse block? I might suggest if it is a single fuse, why not add an auxiliary fuse block instead. You could fuse it directly to the battery and then it would be live all the time. That would give you options

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png