Likes Likes:  4
Thanks Thanks:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water in my rear lights

1750+ Posts
    User ID

Default water in my rear lights

2010 Honda Goldwing ................Roadsmith model

Everytime I wash my trike (which is after every ride) a lot of water enters the rear lens....... (I blow dry the bike after every wash/and water just pours / blows out from the bottom of the lens) Anyone have an idea how to stop water entering the lens?

I don't want to ride in rain and blow out all my lights because of water entering lens...

I was thinking maybe place a bead of "clear silicon" around the rear lens on both lights......OR is there suppose to have a gasket placed between lens and the body... There got to be way to stop water entering the lens.........

Ideas anyone!

Thank you

Ronnie

11/16/20

2. Roadsmith banner
    70000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Burnerboy View Post

Everytime I wash my trike (which is after every ride) a lot of water enters the rear lens....... (I blow dry the bike after every wash/and water just pours / blows out from the bottom of the lens) Anyone have an idea how to stop water entering the lens?

I don't want to ride in rain and blow out all my lights because of water entering lens...

I was thinking maybe place a bead of "clear silicon" around the rear lens on both lights......OR is there suppose to have a gasket placed between lens and the body... There got to be way to stop water entering the lens.........

Ideas anyone!

Thank you

Ronnie

11/16/20
    I would think that there is or should be a thin black gasket between the plastic lens and the bezel the lens fits into.....Maybe it's missing...Just about every tail light whetter a trailer or bike lens that i ever messed with has it....
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2019 Tri-Glide.......

60+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Burnerboy View Post

Ideas anyone!

Thank you

Ronnie

11/16/20
    Do you use a pressure washer or the hose with high pressure? I never use a hose on a motorcycle. To easy to push water where it should not be.

2000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

There are no gaskets! The lens is bonded to the housing. There is a flange around the periphery of the lens. This traps water between the lamp and the body pocket it sits in. Seems like a lot of water blows out when I use my leaf blower to dry the bike.

However if there is actually a leak, you should be able to see water inside the lens. If it does your have a major leak somewhere, You need to remove the lamps and inspect them for lens to housing separation or a major crack(s)

Has this happened ever since you triked the bike??
    Christian Motorcyclist Association #64488
    Patriot Guard
    Volunteer Fire/Rescue/EMT/Captain
    Was a LEO
    Part time Corrections Officer

2000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Something else just came to mind!

There as a gasket on the bulb socket to seal it to the housing. Check to make sure it is there.

You have to remove the lamp to check this
    Patriot Guard
    Was a LEO

1750+ Posts
    User ID

ok thanks guys, bikes away in hibernation mode as we speak, up on jacks, oil/filter replaced, radiator fluid replaced, tender plug in battery, and completly Covered over, in the garage, I'm going to check this spring... I do use a garden hose, w/o any pressure what's so ever, just soap up the trike w/sponge and rinse off the soap with water... then I blow dri it... BUT water always come out of the rear lens, when I blow dri it..... I'm affraid to ride this in a rain storm, cause then bulbs would be hot and blow them all....

I'm also going to try a clear sylicon around the outside lens......

Ronnie

2000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Again, did it do this before it was triked???

Can you see water inside the lens before you blow dry???

I also use garden hose and leaf blower to dry.

There is always a significant amount of water that blows from around the rear lamps.

It gets trapped in the lamp pocket in the body and the flange around the lens.
    Patriot Guard
    Was a LEO

1750+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
    Again, did it do this before it was triked???

Can you see water inside the lens before you blow dry???

I also use garden hose and leaf blower to dry.

There is always a significant amount of water that blows from around the rear lamps.

It gets trapped in the lamp pocket in the body and the flange around the lens.
    Ok sorry I'm answering back so late: NO it did not leak h20 before triked, but then I didn't have the two back lights w/o a trike

I use a garden hose (No pressure what's so ever/just water to rinse off soap) and I use a blow'rr to blow off h2o ..and always water in rear lights

I'm thinking a bead of sylicone around the lens will keep h20 away...

10. Roadsmith banner
    2000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

I know I'm running on here but, I don't know what you mean by two black lights??? I thought you were talking about the OEM rear lamps! Maybe a pic of the lamps you are talking about.
    Patriot Guard
    Was a LEO

1750+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
    I know I'm running on here but, I don't know what you mean by two black lights??? I thought you were talking about the OEM rear lamps! Maybe a pic of the lamps you are talking about.
    I mean BACK light (not black) I'm talking about rear [tail/brake lights] the red lens gets water inside when ever I wash the trike (which is after every ride) and when I blow dry it, water also blow out the rear lens....So yes OEM stock rear lens.... I always use a garden hose, without a nozzle, so I am not using any h2o pressure at all....I just sponge down the trike with soap and water, and lightly rinse off the soap, avoiding the rear lenses as much as possible...

Ronnie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast