Avon AV91 Trike tire

Mar 14, 2013
Rockwood, TN
I have an Avon Cobra Chrome AV91 "Trike" tire mounted on my GL1800 Motortrike.

I get comments that it looks like it is wearing. It has looked that way from brand new.

The tread pattern on that tire is rather flat in the center with no center groove.

The side grooves do not provide much info on exactly how worn the tire is.

How do I make a valid assumption as to when to replace the tire? I am not finding, or not seeing, any tread depth indicators like on a normal tire.

Currently I have 6400 miles on the tire. I do keep it at 38-39 PSI.

I have the Gold wing size Avon on my Yam. Everybody says the same thing, even when it was new! Got 12,000 on it now. Still looks the same.

The Cobra Trike tire by Avon has a similar tread profile to a rear motorcycle tire. It does not have the center peak that a normal motorcycle front tire would have since your trike does not lean in the fashion a two wheeler would. I think it still has wear indicators though. Look in the siping grooves for a bump. Maybe visit a shop that has a new one in stock and get a tread reading from a new one then compare it to yours.

I have 24,000mi on my Avon Cobra AV71. It probably could go more but I getting nervous. it starting to develop cracks in the the tread. So I am changing it out to American Elite front tire. Just didn't want to put up the handle bar vibration that a lot of people are having with the Avon Cobra AV91. My current Avon Cobra AV71 has been a great tire for me and I don't pussy around. I ride hard and fast in curves, so it has gotten a work out and held up.

the Avon AV-71 Cobra Trike Radial frt tire is NO more ….. it was replaced in the line up by Avon AV-91 Cobra Chrome Trike Radial, they are the same tire, they just changed the name.

I have never seen a report of vibrations with either one.

the Avon AV-71 Cobra Trike Radial frt tire is NO more ….. it was replaced in the line up by Avon AV-91 Cobra Chrome Trike Radial, they are the same tire, they just changed the name.

I have never seen a report of vibrations with either one.

This is one post and there are several more post where people have removed AV91 to get rid of the Hum in the handle bars.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/57634-slight-vibration-almost-like-a-hum?highlight=av91

While there is no center grove to judge wear rate, the "side" groves do appear to have ample depth left. So with 6400 miles on the tire I'm going to keep it mounted for now. Thanks for all the input.

JFI: I am not experiencing any of the "handlebar hum" that some have spoken of.

AV-91

I have about 7,000 miles on my AV-91. No issues at all. It is a little hard to tell how much wear is on the tire, but time will tell. I’m expecting to receive quite a bit more mileage on this tire.

No problems here either. If you have a handle bar hum, try some heavier handlebar weighted ends, might help

This is one post and there are several more post where people have removed AV91 to get rid of the Hum in the handle bars.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/57634-slight-vibration-almost-like-a-hum?highlight=av91

The AV-91 in the 16" size for the HD front is a Bias ply tire, the 18" used on Gold Wings is a Radial. Not the same tire. I had the hum with a Bias ply rear tire run on the front too, took it off to put the Avon Trike Radial on .... NO hum.

Your trike, your money, your ride. You posted in a Honda forum room, I figured you rode a Honda.

The AV-91 in the 16" size for the HD front is a Bias ply tire, the 18" used on Gold Wings is a Radial. Not the same tire. I had the hum with a Bias ply rear tire run on the front too, took it off to put the Avon Trike Radial on .... NO hum.

Your trike, your money, your ride. You posted in a Honda forum room, I figured you rode a Honda.

My bad

I also use the Avon tire (Goldwing) and usually get approx 7,000 mile on it............

I have 20,000 since triking and I'm on my second Avon...........I would purchase another, when needed.

Ronnie

I have an Avon Cobra Chrome AV91 "Trike" tire mounted on my GL1800 Motortrike.

I get comments that it looks like it is wearing. It has looked that way from brand new.

The tread pattern on that tire is rather flat in the center with no center groove.

The side grooves do not provide much info on exactly how worn the tire is.

How do I make a valid assumption as to when to replace the tire? I am not finding, or not seeing, any tread depth indicators like on a normal tire.

Currently I have 6400 miles on the tire. I do keep it at 38-39 PSI.

Go to Walmart and get 1 of these
ecc3e53e-aa4b-49bc-a68b-820c058c6d6f_1.236be7adb98c96d412dbf1a736c61224.jpeg

You can stick the tire as close to the center and the inside and outside of the tire. Record your readings. You should NOT be below 2/32 of tread on any of your readings. That would be time for replacement. I hope this helps. Always a watch your PSI it is the number 1 killer of tires

Although mine is a road star, it has a 18" Yamaha Stratoline wheel and a 18" radial avon trike tire, that is commonly used for Goldwings.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizonak5

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizonak5
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png