Head Shake on New Conversion

Jan 30, 2011
Seminole Fl
I just Built a Honda VTX 1300 trike with the Champion Independent kit. At the same time I installed the VTX-Extreme 6 degree rake kit (ez-steer). I torqued the steering head bearings to the recomended 45 ft-lbs. Rechecked the torque after several miles.

What I found is that the bike now has a head shake on deceleration and can be more provoked by bumps. I have been able to reproduce it in the two scenarios above although it does not always occur. This is remenecent of the old Kawaski bikes on decel with letting go of the bars or a light touch.

The head shake can be stopped by accerating or by pushing both bars forward. If you don't do one of these two things it can get hairy. I noticed it fairly slow at 40-20mph range.

This problem is new to the trike and never experienced on the bike before.

I would rather my wife not have to live with it.

If you are sure the steering head bearings are set correctly, it might be time to look at a steering damper. The rear end may also be a bit off in the alignment as well.

There should be zero head shake with the 6 degree trees. Ive converted 20+ VTXs and bought another 25 factory converted from Motor Trike and never has a head shake problem with one of them. All of these but three never had a rake kit installed on them. One of the ones that did was JuJu's VTX-1300 Champion conversion and it got the 6 degree rake and shes never had a shake. It sounds like the bearings aren't seated properly. You may have to pull it down and go through the process again.

I drove the races down flush to the steering head ridge both top and bottom. To redo the process I guess I would have to re-install a new set of bearings?

The steering is smooth and regular at speed. It steers smooth left to right on a lift.

I don't imagine you raked it without new bearings? The OEM bearings on a 1300 are a cheesy affair, and they ALL shake like you describe at some point. Most guys replace them with heavier tapered bearings.

When is a good time to call you? I have a couple of suggestions on curing the head shake. OR...give me a call at (334)648-0157 anytime.

Bazooka is absolutely correct--I've never experienced head shake with my VTX trike.

Except when something happens so that I can't ride it. But that's MY head shaking. :D

I bought a bearing race insertion tool today. I will try to drive both races fully into the seat. I also forgot to put the dust seals in the first time. Saw them in the box after the fact. I will put them in Thursday also.

It would have helped if there were a few instructions with the rake kit other than torque specs. Especially since the kit makeup is different that the stock configuration. Hopefully that will eliminate the head shake.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png