Freewheeler gas gauge usage

My Turn

80+ Posts
Reaction score
I have never put more that 4.9 or so gallons of fuel in my FLRT. If I run it until the "distance to empty" is down to zero miles I can get just under 5 gallons in it (topping off completely). The specification for the bike is a 6 gallon capacity, so there is always a minimum of 1 gallon in the tank.

Also, my gauge needle does not go all the way to full when the tank is brimmed. I mentioned this at the 1000 mile service and of course was told it was "normal".

Is this common or is your experience different?

Peter, HD gauges have never been known to be accurate

Your best bet would be to have someone follow you with a gallon of gas. Run your Trike tll it is out of gas. Then you will see how close your gauge is. I have done this with all my bikes. My gauge on my 17 Freewheeler never registers completely full since new but now I know how far I can travel before seeking gas;)

Jack. Thanks for the reply. Do you recall how much gas you could get in when you ran it dry?

I am just trying to understand how much of the 6 gallon capacity is actually usable.

My 2019 FLRT gas guage never goes to full either. Never ran it dry, but when fuel light comes on,bike takes about 4.0 gallons to fill. So presuming a 6 gallon tank gives you about 5.5 gallons of usable fuel,I have about 1.5 gallons of fuel left when light comes on. So with my average gas mileage about 32 MPG, I have about 48 miles left before bike runs out of gas. Never pushed it that far and don't intend to. I do have a 1.5" lift kit on front of tank,so I am sure that enters into the usable fuel determination some what.

I have never put more that 4.9 or so gallons of fuel in my FLRT. If I run it until the "distance to empty" is down to zero miles I can get just under 5 gallons in it (topping off completely). The specification for the bike is a 6 gallon capacity, so there is always a minimum of 1 gallon in the tank.

Also, my gauge needle does not go all the way to full when the tank is brimmed. I mentioned this at the 1000 mile service and of course was told it was "normal".

Is this common or is your experience different?

I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it. What I really liked is that its programmable and I like the voltage gage & the overall look. Very simple install too with detailed instructions.

I installed my new Kuryakyn LED fuel/voltage gauge & it was a very easy job & I like the finished product. The mechanical OEM fuel gauge was useless on my FW. I dont have much in the tank (2 gallons), but the last LED on the fuel gauge is supposed to flash red with 1 gallon left, and you can program it if it's off. I really like having the DC voltage gauge.:cool:

There is also an automatic sensor to adjust the LED's at night.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png