Dale's Wheels Through Time

jjvw

700+ Posts
Dec 5, 2013
Jenison, MI
From Facebook

Dale's Wheels Through Time

22m

It is with heavy hearts that we at Wheels Through Time let you know that our beloved founder, curator, and friend Dale Walksler passed away peacefully, with his wife by his side, at home on February 3, 2021, after a courageous four year battle with cancer.

In 1967 at the age of 15, Dale built his first motorcycle, sparking a life-long love affair with American Motorcycles and their history. At 22, Dale established a Harley/Davidson Franchise in Mt. Vernon, Ill: Dale’s Harley-Davidson. His signal success as a dealer grew to include the decades-long work that would define his life: the creation of the museum we now know as Wheels Through Time.

As the museum collection grew, so too did Dale’s vision for the museum, his reputation, his mechanical and curatorial skills, and a goal of always exceeding expectations of customers and guests.

In 2002 Dale opened the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. From humble beginnings in a small Illinois town, one of the world’s premier collections of rare and vintage American motorcycles, automobiles, and memorabilia emerged. Wheels Through Time became an Iconic American Institution and known internationally.

Those who have visited Wheels Through Time know that Dale’s passion was not just something to be observed but rather experienced. Whether it was listening to his vast knowledge and stories of transportation history or watching him start a motorcycle, his was a passion that was infectious. It inspired in many, that same desire to preserve and celebrate American motorcycle history. His genius rested on the latter portion of the Wheels Through Time logo, “The Museum That Runs.”

Dale was a man of vision, zeal, intensity, imagination, and generosity. He will be deeply missed by his family, friends, and the staff at Wheels Through Time, and as well as by the countless tens of thousands who have visited the museum.

Dale’s vision was not just one of preserving the past but was also focused on the future. In that regard, he made great strides to ensure that the museum and his legacy would carry on for generations to come.

A celebration of Dale’s life will be announced at a later date. At this time, we ask for privacy for the family as they mourn his passing. At Dale’s request, in lieu of flowers, please send any donations and condolences to Wheels Through Time, PO Box 790, Maggie Valley, NC 28751.

All donations will be dedicated to ensuring the continuance of the legacy that Dale created far into the future and to giving museum visitors historical insight into the vital role that transportation has played in American history. The thrill of hearing the cycles run coupled with thoughts of riding into the wind will continue to evoke thoughts of Dale’s vibrant spirit --- and his dream.

Wow another close encounter with our own mortality he was 69 years old same age as myself. I can only offer our thoughts and prayers for the family and friend's of a great man.

Saddened to hear this. First met Dale when he had the dealership in Ill. & we has stopped there for something. He said "let me take you through the museum out back" . Wow.. Later in years we met up again in Maggie Valley while in Knoxville for a Nat'l Hog Rally.

Wonderful person. Prayers to his family.

Wow, sad indeed. RIP Dale! He was an awesome individual with passion for motorcycles and history in general. I enjoyed meeting him at the museum and got a chance to talk with him. My condolences to his family and friends.

Meeting Dale.jpg

Last edited:
This is very sad news. I can't say I knew Dale but have spoken with him several times when we would ride over during our sidecar rally. Very Sad indeed

jjvt, if possible I would like to share this news as written with another group with your permission. many members have stopped in Dale's and will like to know about this. truly hated to hear about it, our thoughts and prayers are with Dale's family.

The wife and I were lucky enough to visit his shop in Mt Vernon Ill twice before he moved to Maggie Valley. He was such a down to earth man and just so knowledgeable, on our first trip to Maggie Valley he asked were I was from and when I said Dayton Ohio he lit up a little and said he was looking at getting a Dayton motorcycle. I told him one was on display at the Carillon Bells in Dayton. He will be missed by so many, this is truly sad news for the motorcycling community.

I offer my most sincere condolences to Dale's family and the fine folks at Dale’s Wheels Through Time Museum. We've been to the museum several times and our son-in-law has purchased some parts from Dale also. He was a super down to earth person and a great preservationist, RIP Dale.

5ca23370b8289.image.jpg

This is sad, back in 2005 I spoke with him and we were talking about the first Harley with Evo motor and I had one that was in pristine condition and I donated the bike to his museum. It was the one he needed in his collection a 1984 Electra-glide Classic with the Evo engine mated to a shovel head trans and primary, with an enclosed chain.

jjvt, if possible I would like to share this news as written with another group with your permission. many members have stopped in Dale's and will like to know about this. truly hated to hear about it, our thoughts and prayers are with Dale's family.

No problem. It was stolen from FB. I have seen it on other forums

Oh no, hard to believe. What a guy, met him several times on my visits to Maggie V. I recall on one visit, a guy rode up on on his very old HD, looked like a pan head. Dale to the rescue with his handy simple tool box, had the guy back on the road in no time, no charge. Dale gave me two free passes last time I was there, still have them somewhere. Life is indeed fragile. Big salute Dale, and Rest in Peace Sir.

Dale left us a fabulous museum to remember him. It just won't be the same without him riding an antique motorcycle around the grounds. RIP Dale, you are missed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png