Advice Needed

Hi Randy,

Taking the advice of members of your website, and reaching out,

I have a beautiful 1996 FLSTF that has been covered up in the corner of my garage for longer than I care to admit. The light has gone off in my head that I can get back into the wind with a trike conversion, hence my email.

So I have been window shopping for a while, and found a softail conversion photo on the Frankenstein website that was pretty much what I envision for my conversion.

I called the Frankenstein facility today and talked with the general manager about my plan, and the picture on their website, titled "Eddies 1994 Harley Davidson Softail" located on the second page of photos in the "Fat Boy" section. Was pretty disappointed in the lack of information provided. He pulled up the photos, but explained it was an older build and really could not provide me with any component information I need to put together a list of needed parts and costs associated with the build.

I would probably look else where, however, the research and reading I have done seems to point toward a rugged/well built and trouble free unit, which is what I am looking for to match the dependability of my beloved early "Evo".

Maybe I caught him at a bad time and should wait a while and try again. Thoughts?

Any info you could provide would be helpful! Oh, and on a side note, pretty crazy to be feeling bad for a Texan's weather situation in mid February, me living in Massachusetts!

Willem

Hello Willem! Welcome to Trike Talk from Missouri!

Perhaps take a look at this. It is a 24 min video that summarizes the install.

I ran a frankenstein on a long bike shovelhead chopper I was building... pretty straight forward. This is a newer softail, but you can see the process and what is kept/used.

Their kits are pretty complete. Pretty much remove and replace.

Here is the rear view of the Eddie Trike on the Frankenstein Site

Eddie Trike.jpg

Here is it on the trike build I had about 15 year ago

long Bike Rear view.JPG

long Bike view.JPG

Eddies Trike

Hey Free Bird,

Thank you for the response. I wish that was a photo of the trike on the Frankenstein website I referred to, then I could at least tell from the photo the components for the rear axle.

The trike build I was referring to is in the photo section, on page 2 of the Softails photo section. Its a white trike titled "Eddies 1994 Harley Davidson Softail". Have read positive info about the durability of the Frankenstein kits. Just wanted to find out if that trike was using their 4.50 degree raked tree or someone one elses to give the front end the look it has, and any other info so I could duplicate that look for my FLSTF.

Willem

The reason they couldn't tell you much about that build is that they did not build it. Most of those pictures are trikes that customers built themselves and then sent photos to Frankenstein. Looking at the pictures of that build it appears that they used the Frankenstein premium kit that includes the exhaust and triple trees as well as the rear end.

Sorry I picked the one above it.....

To rallsqh's point, Eddie likely put this together with the premium kit from Frankenstein (and he did a bang-up job of it too) it appears for have all the pieces.

There will be some research/shopping around amd/or minor fab work for the low profile solo luggage rack. That is a nice touch. He did some custom work on the floor broads too adding toe stops to keep his feet from slidng forward. Spoke wheel out front is a nice touch, but the OEM solid would be nice the the rear mags as well.

Eddie Trike3.jpg

Rake kit/Bags

Hey Bird,

Please do not apologize, glad you are replying. One of the focal points that I want to mimic on my build is the front forks look, as in extended distance of wheel/fender from the frame. While I am leaning toward a purchase of the tree kit from Papa Zook, wondered if that rake was the standard 4.50 degree that Frankenstein recommends. If Frankenstein had been able to confirm, at least I would have an idea of how to achieve the look I am after.

On another point, I love that cargo rack, and while I will probably fabricate my own, will definitely be incorporating it into my design, as I am not a fan of leaving the single fender in place, and loving the fact that with an added sissy bar, should be able to utilize the two to pack my camping gear. With that in mind, if I get the correct width kit, do you think there would be room to mount a set of hard bags, similar to the soft bags shown in your original reply. Would be a great place to mount some LED's to help from getting rear ended!

To rallsqh's point, Eddie likely put this together with the premium kit from Frankenstein (and he did a bang-up job of it too) it appears for have all the pieces.

There will be some research/shopping around amd/or minor fab work for the low profile solo luggage rack. That is a nice touch. He did some custom work on the floor broads too adding toe stops to keep his feet from slidng forward. Spoke wheel out front is a nice touch, but the OEM solid would be nice the the rear mags as well.

View attachment 95926[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png