Gravel roads

one question I do have is how do the various models handle gravel roads

looking at either tri glide or Goldwing trike.

most people I ask say “ I don’t do gravel roads”

I like to explore out of the way places, so do quite a bit of gravel roads in various conditions.

would like to hear people’s experiences

cheers

Tassie Phil

one question I do have is how do the various models handle gravel roads

looking at either tri glide or Goldwing trike.

most people I ask say “ I don’t do gravel roads”

I like to explore out of the way places, so do quite a bit of gravel roads in various conditions.

would like to hear people’s experiences

cheers

Tassie Phil

Slow and easy...On gravel / dirt roads...I ride on one often with my Tri-Glide..

We don't often do unpaved roads but slower and noticably more caution gets our GL1800 Motortrike thru. Our biggest concern is ground clearance, because there isn't much underneath it.

EDITED: Also the three wheel track of a trike frequently means the front wheel is traveling the center build up section of some roads.

Gravel road.jpg

Live in the country , two miles north to pavement , three mile south to pavement. Drive a 2013 goldwing with a roadsmith con . No problems A few gravel chips on fenders. But could come from the hwy miles, donot know. Very stable , 40 mph to 50 mph on gravel

We don't do much gravel road riding if at all possible. I don't like dust or dirt on the Trike and also hate rock chips.

The trike will handle it if you want to drive gravel/dirt roads. Just not a lot of clearance as stated above.

Just my 2 cents.

I don’t generally ride gravel roads. However, one of the things I like about my trike versus my bike is that gravel driveways, u-turns that take me a little bit into the grass, even patches of sand are just not an issue. I added the clear plastic chip film so I don’t need to worry about the occasional fire road excursion to a vacation cabin.

Traveled several gravel and loose sandy roads. Wound up with a bit of road rash. Scraped a few bottoms. Also did a bit of squirreling at anything over 40. So decided to slow down a bit and save my sanity and maybe my butt.

.....ron

I'm a back roader.

One of the 1st trips I took on my 07 Shadow with a very low clearance Voyager kit was down the gravel roads at TC Steele area. All the way down to the lake and back up the steep gravel roads. It did very well in low gears. I do have some chips though. Sentimental...that's where Grandma loved to go. Then actually went up Hatfield Ridge with a rider. Ha! Never did find McCoy Ridge. :clapping:

Last edited:
I'm a back roader.

One of the 1st trips I took was down the gravel roads at TC Steele area. All the way down to the lake and back up. Sentimental...that's where Grandma loved to go. Then actually went up Hatfield Ridge with a rider. Ha! Never did find McCoy Ridge. :clapping:

Rode a few gravel roads, but 40 or more mph seems extreme to me. I like to putt putt along at 25 ... or even 15mph. There's the chance of gravels kicked up by the front, there's a dust cloud follows you, and at higher speed, there's faster approach to hidden holes and ruts and cross road water ditches. Another thing is these trikes are not gonna slide the rear tires off road, likely if you skid from speed you're going straight and that front brake is not gonna help, try it out in your yard. The higher hump of a gravel road raises the front wheel, likely the rear will be OK but a hitch might drag occasionally. Curves with trees may block the view iof oncoming vehicles driven by drivers too familiar with the road, they sometimes get over driven too. Two of you, each at 30mph, meeting in a snug turn are meeting at 60mph combined speed. I do find it easy to take a trike half way off the road if climbing a bank or riding a shoulder to clear Farmer Brown's wagon.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png