How much trail?

Feb 1, 2021
LEOMA
I've read and read unsuccessfully trying to determine how much trail is needed for a (rear eng VW) trike. I've read that as little as 2 inches is correct. Is less trail required for a trike (any) than for a two-wheeler? If so why?

I have access to a good rake and trail calculator and know how to adjust frame rake, offset, triple tree rake, etc to change the trail but I just don't know what trail I should be adjusting for.

I've read and read unsuccessfully trying to determine how much trail is needed for a (rear eng VW) trike.

Any amount of trail is ridable as long as it is trail and not lead. It may be quite difficult to ride and you certainly would not enjoy it. Being a rear engine the front should be light and you can get away with larger trail. It will go down the highway fine, but the head will shake on deceleration, it will be stiff to steer on the curvy roads, and it will be a bear to wrestle backing up

I've read that as little as 2 inches is correct. Is less trail required for a trike (any) than for a two-wheeler? If so why?

Two inches is considered the "safe" number. But much depends on the rest of the trike, wheel diameter, fork type, pivot height.. My drop pivot linked shocker front on mine is well under 1 inch trail. The Sugar Bear front ends are ZERO trail.

Motorcycles in general are around 4 inch trail. Motorcycles are more because they lean and a trike does not. A trikes geometry is more akin to a car than a motorcycle.

I have access to a good rake and trail calculator and know how to adjust frame rake, offset, triple tree rake, etc to change the trail but I just don't know what trail I should be adjusting for.

Shoot for the two inch (if you have normal size wheel,) and if you miss by a little either way you will still be good.

:Santa::Santa::Santa:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png