Likes Likes:  13
Thanks Thanks:  4
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Video - Does Your Harley REALLY Need an Oil Cooler?

  1. #1
    Sponsor
    TrikeTalk Sponsor
    DK Custom Products's Avatar
    User ID
    15624
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Red Banks, MS
    Posts
    8,247

    Default Video - Does Your Harley REALLY Need an Oil Cooler?



    LINK to DK Custom Oil Coolers
    www.DKCustom.com
    DK Custom YouTube Channel
    Call: 662-252-8828 Text: 662-420-4891
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

  2. DKCustoms postbit
  3. #2
    40+ Posts
    User ID
    29541
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Wilmot, SD, US
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Hey Kevin, hope your winter is going well....looking at some of your snow videos, it sure looks like it is. Hope the freezing weather didn't do the same number on you as it did in Texas.

    We've bee in AZ since January. Brought the Freewheeler down in November...been riding quite a bit, and been over some of the same roads the Fall East AZ rides were on. He picked some great riding!

    The 2016 TriGlide I had when we met in S Falls is in the shop over the winter. Had a 'clicking' noise, bought HD ESP warranty when I purchased it, so let them figure it out. Been there since mid November, but told them I'm in no hurry as would be in AZ for the winter, so they're able to work on it at shops convenience. I had earlier had an indy shop replace lifters/pushrods with adjustable rods...and told the HD service dept about this....so, of course, the first thing they did was replace same! Thought they had it fixed, but noise returned after the tech rode it. Now, he's thinking low oil pressure and replacing with high volume pump.

    I have installed the DK oil relocation kit and oil cooler, and at start up they think maybe low oil pressure due to extra hose length? I'm no mechanic, but don't see how this could be. I check pressure somewhat infrequently when riding, and it's usually between 33 and 36...I don't think that's out of line.

    Have any customers replaced the oil pump to your knowledge? Or, do you have any thoughts about this? I'm very happy with lower temps and ease of filter change! I'm hoping they're not going to deny coverage because of aftermarket cooler/and relocation kit.

    Do you think oil pump exchange is the way to go? I know you can't diagnose over the internet, but just wondering if you had any thoughts?

    Have a great spring, and hope to get out this fall for the East AZ ride. ( Had first Covid shot yesterday, and 2nd in 3 weeks, so should be able to travel freely!)

    Thanks,

    Bill

  4. #3
    Sponsor
    TrikeTalk Sponsor
    DK Custom Products's Avatar
    User ID
    15624
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Red Banks, MS
    Posts
    8,247

    Default

    Hey Bill!

    We did not get hit as hard as Texas, but it did effectively shut down virtually everything in the Memphis area.

    UPS, USPS and FedEx stopped running for almost an entire week. Even Amazon was not delivering from their local warehouses!

    It is a sunny 70 degrees today, so hopefully all that mess is behind us.

    Sounds like y'all are having a great time out in AZ, enjoying the warm weather and some great roads.

    With the oil filter relo and the oil cooler, there is No drop in oil pressure and No delay in pressure building. When I say no, I mean less than 1/2 of a PSI at the most, and less than 200 milliseconds difference in pressure building.

    This is one of the first things we tested, extensively, when we were designing these parts.

    Hopefully they checked the hoses for any kinks or pinches...highly unlikely they exist, but always a possibility, and that should be checked if it has not been.

    No offense, especially if you like the guys at the shop, but it sounds like they're just guessing and replacing parts. Which may or may not be a bad thing if it is not costing you anything.

    Whenever I am troubleshooting I always go by process of elimination, starting with the easiest and least expensive first.

    Your Tri Glide is a '16, so the most common source of a clicking noise are the Rockers. Not hearing it, can't say for sure that is it. But it is far and away the most common. And it can start when new or after many miles. The solution is simple and inexpensive. Rocker Lockers, which you can see HERE.

    They have started down the lubrication path...first thing to check is the actual oil pressure, it is either good or not, and either comes up to pressure quickly (1-2 seconds) or not. If the pressure is good, (and it is not the rocker shafts) then it is time to listen with a stethoscope to see if the part of the engine making the clicking can be located. Then see if there is some blockage in the oil passageways feeding that area.

    If there are no blockages (oh, and check to make sure the oil filter is not somehow the factor), then it may be time to start looking at hard parts, of which there are many that could cause a clicking noise.

    That is where an Experienced Mechanic (not a Tech parts replacer) really comes into play, isolating the area and having the experience to know the difference between a rod knock, a partially collapsed lifter, a bad cam chest bearing etc.

    But I would check the rockers first, there are 500 Twin Cams that click because of that for every one that clicks from something else.

    Have fun out in AZ. Hope our paths cross again soon.

    Kevin
    www.DKCustom.com
    DK Custom YouTube Channel
    Call: 662-252-8828 Text: 662-420-4891
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

  5. Love Jugs
  6. #4
    12500+ Posts
    Tech Contributor
    Jack Klarich's Avatar
    User ID
    24367
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Jax, Fla USA
    Posts
    12,796

    Default

    I agree with Kevin. It can be the rocker arms clacking. Not a big surprise with the way the rocker shafts are made.
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 33years)
    Current ride : 17 FREEWHEELER M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs Outlaw air cleaner, modified by me head breather vent with drain, Gutted stock mufflers, (RJS Originals) rear wheel discs , (RJS Originals) custom windshield lower panel, Mighty Mites Love Jugs fans by Papa Zook

  7. #5
    100+ Posts
    User ID
    31892
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Manchester TN USA
    Posts
    105

    Default

    The filter relocation/oil cooler kit is on my list along with the EBS catch can. I think I will be done with the motor after that.
    2016 Tri Glide, More DK than HD

  8. #6
    250+ Posts
    User ID
    31518
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Monaca, Pa, USA
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DK Custom Products View Post


    LINK to DK Custom Oil Coolers
    I am having a Harley Davidson cooling fan added at dealer now. Have you done any testing on how much that fan reduces oil temp? Thanx, Be Safe, Barry

  9. #7
    40+ Posts
    User ID
    29541
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Wilmot, SD, US
    Posts
    49

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by DK Custom Products View Post
    Hey Bill!

    We did not get hit as hard as Texas, but it did effectively shut down virtually everything in the Memphis area.

    UPS, USPS and FedEx stopped running for almost an entire week. Even Amazon was not delivering from their local warehouses!

    It is a sunny 70 degrees today, so hopefully all that mess is behind us.

    Sounds like y'all are having a great time out in AZ, enjoying the warm weather and some great roads.

    With the oil filter relo and the oil cooler, there is No drop in oil pressure and No delay in pressure building. When I say no, I mean less than 1/2 of a PSI at the most, and less than 200 milliseconds difference in pressure building.

    This is one of the first things we tested, extensively, when we were designing these parts.

    Hopefully they checked the hoses for any kinks or pinches...highly unlikely they exist, but always a possibility, and that should be checked if it has not been.

    No offense, especially if you like the guys at the shop, but it sounds like they're just guessing and replacing parts. Which may or may not be a bad thing if it is not costing you anything.

    Whenever I am troubleshooting I always go by process of elimination, starting with the easiest and least expensive first.

    Your Tri Glide is a '16, so the most common source of a clicking noise are the Rockers. Not hearing it, can't say for sure that is it. But it is far and away the most common. And it can start when new or after many miles. The solution is simple and inexpensive. Rocker Lockers, which you can see HERE.

    They have started down the lubrication path...first thing to check is the actual oil pressure, it is either good or not, and either comes up to pressure quickly (1-2 seconds) or not. If the pressure is good, (and it is not the rocker shafts) then it is time to listen with a stethoscope to see if the part of the engine making the clicking can be located. Then see if there is some blockage in the oil passageways feeding that area.

    If there are no blockages (oh, and check to make sure the oil filter is not somehow the factor), then it may be time to start looking at hard parts, of which there are many that could cause a clicking noise.

    That is where an Experienced Mechanic (not a Tech parts replacer) really comes into play, isolating the area and having the experience to know the difference between a rod knock, a partially collapsed lifter, a bad cam chest bearing etc.

    But I would check the rockers first, there are 500 Twin Cams that click because of that for every one that clicks from something else.

    Have fun out in AZ. Hope our paths cross again soon.

    Kevin
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

    I'm sure you noticed in my original message I said 'tech'....not mechanic! And, I had told them about already replacing the rockers earlier in the summer...so we start with replacing new parts...oh well, I'm not a mechanic.

    I don't think oil pressure will end up being the problem...I do check that when riding...not frequently, but it is checked and there is always appropriate pressure (30-36), if I remember correctly.

    I'm hoping they have it figured out when we get home. They should be able to test ride the trike...I noticed temps back in SD in the 50s and 60s this week....only 20 or so degrees difference than here last week!

    I'll keep you in the loop

    Bill

  10. DKCustoms postbit
  11. #8
    Sponsor
    TrikeTalk Sponsor
    DK Custom Products's Avatar
    User ID
    15624
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Red Banks, MS
    Posts
    8,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DOKK View Post
    The filter relocation/oil cooler kit is on my list along with the EBS catch can. I think I will be done with the motor after that.
    I believe you will be well please with all those upgrades.

    Kevin
    www.DKCustom.com
    DK Custom YouTube Channel
    Call: 662-252-8828 Text: 662-420-4891
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

  12. #9
    Sponsor
    TrikeTalk Sponsor
    DK Custom Products's Avatar
    User ID
    15624
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Red Banks, MS
    Posts
    8,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BKtrike View Post
    I am having a Harley Davidson cooling fan added at dealer now. Have you done any testing on how much that fan reduces oil temp? Thanx, Be Safe, Barry
    Hi Barry,

    Yes, we have tested that. There is no perceptible decrease in oil temperature with the Harley Coolflow fan.

    It is not designed to cool the engine or the oil.

    It is designed to redirect the heat from the engine away from the rider and the passenger onto the ground.

    Kevin

    Here is a good link on what you can do to actually decrease engine and oil temperature (which will result in less actual heat, so the rider and passenger will feel less heat) ie. solution vs. bandaid

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3QggFJ3nteFd_C
    www.DKCustom.com
    DK Custom YouTube Channel
    Call: 662-252-8828 Text: 662-420-4891
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

  13. Love Jugs
  14. #10
    Sponsor
    TrikeTalk Sponsor
    DK Custom Products's Avatar
    User ID
    15624
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Red Banks, MS
    Posts
    8,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikllijak View Post
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

    I'm sure you noticed in my original message I said 'tech'....not mechanic! And, I had told them about already replacing the rockers earlier in the summer...so we start with replacing new parts...oh well, I'm not a mechanic.

    I don't think oil pressure will end up being the problem...I do check that when riding...not frequently, but it is checked and there is always appropriate pressure (30-36), if I remember correctly.

    I'm hoping they have it figured out when we get home. They should be able to test ride the trike...I noticed temps back in SD in the 50s and 60s this week....only 20 or so degrees difference than here last week!

    I'll keep you in the loop

    Bill
    Hey Bill,

    Yes, even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

    Hope they get it resolved for you.

    How much longer are you in AZ for?

    Kevin
    www.DKCustom.com
    DK Custom YouTube Channel
    Call: 662-252-8828 Text: 662-420-4891
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NEW Video - The Great Oil Debate - Which Brand REALLY is The Best???
    By DK Custom Products in forum DK Custom Products
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2021, 09:36 AM
  2. Escapade cooler rack, cooler and cooler cover
    By punch in forum Honda Trikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2017, 05:50 AM
  3. Oil Filter Relocation & Dual-Cool Oil Cooler
    By DK Custom Products in forum Harley Trike Conversions
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-28-2017, 02:32 PM
  4. Do I need an oil cooler
    By alvinrs in forum Harley Trike Conversions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 06:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •