Jump Starting a 2017 Tri-Glide battery?

Hello, all. I'm new on here and not real sure about how to navigate this site but I guess it'll come in time. iLMS having a 2017 Tri-glide shipped to me from Bedford, Texas and due to carrier routing it may not arrive for 14 days. If the bike gets here with a dead battery I am responsible for getting it started as the carrier takes no responsibility for that. I'm a retired mechanic and quite familiar with motorcycles and jump stating the same. But not accustomed to the new electronics in newer style Harleys.

I have a 1997 Heritage Softail Classic carbureted bike. My question that I can't seem to find an answer to is after removing the battery cover which involves disconnecting several electrical connections, do these connections have to be remade to successfully start the trike? Simple task or not. I have to have the trike dropped off a few blocks from my house as the carriers 80' trailer can't make a U-turn at my dead end street. Do I need special tools to complete the battery jump task? Thanks, BobT

Hi Robert and Welcome to Trike Talk

Anything you have to unplug will only plug back in one way similar to automotive connectors. Yes do plug everything back in before starting or you may end up with a diagnostic trouble code. The newer can bus electrical systems are not as forgiving as older models

Watch this video, not your trike but the same set up for the battery, pay attention to the not removing the connectors on the ECM. I replaced my 17 Freewheeler the same way this video shows

Welcome to the forum from Western Pennsylvania just a thought if you can get the driver to pull the Main fuse so it will be just fine when it arrives. Ride safe Fred

I would have them pull the main fuse as Fearless said. Otherwise the alarm will be running & run battery down, unless the owner puts it in "transport mode". I also dont understand 14 days from Tx. It's only 365 miles. They must be transporting a lot of other loads with yours. Make sure you inspect for damage very carefully. The fuse is behind the left side cover. Large red fuse. Best of luck & welcome to TT from Ohio. Let us know how it works out.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png